A step up from the Audeze Mobius but just for music?
Dec 7, 2020 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MikeyMatou

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

Just wanting to get some quick advice, I feel like I should just make a thread to ask the question...

I've tried the Audeze Mobius (HyperX Cloud Orbit) and I loved it, first set of...well, a higher tier compared to my prior headsets. But I thought about my real use case and realized that I don't need a mic, I don't care that much about games compared to music, so why not just look for a good set of earphones.

I guess the criteria now for what I'm looking for is:
  1. Something similar to the Mobius? The reason? Well, it just feels so much...fuller...oh and that sub-bass/mids. When I hear a song with synth it's powerful, powerful that the headset vibrates and just fills your entire ears - not just some clear lows that I'm sure many headsets offer but a real punch to it.
  2. Planar maybe? Again, links to the prior point and I don't care about weight or what not.
  3. And well....preferably not too pricey...maybe like less than 400 USD? I've been looking at all sorts of planars, but I just can't make my mind up. I'm honestly tempted just to stay with what I have but...you know if I can improve without the mic and "ah look you can hear the footsteps because of this tuning" to trade it in for better sound then why not.
I'd be happy to give more information...was looking at the Sundara but not sure...ugh looking at too many things.
If anyone made it up to here than thank you, if you have anything to add no matter how dumb it may sound I'll take it. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #2 of 6
I had a similar goal as yours, I went from the Oppo PM3 to the Sundara and am very happy with this change. I specifically wanted the benefits of an open back headphone though, while not sacrificing much in the way of bass. Not sure if this is something you care about. In terms of bass, the sub bass is actually better with EQ (large planars do well in this regard) and still punchy but a step down being an open back. The FR is far more agreeable in the treble, the soundstage is a big step up, and the 'open' sound just sounds so much cleaner to me on many tracks.

Clearly if you're only looking at closed backs this won't work for you.

Dec 7, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 6
I'd say Sundara or Sendy AIVA if you're willing to go open back.

If you can find them at $400 somewhere still, the Focal Elegia will also work, but EQ will definitely be required, and probably a pad swap. On the off chance you see a pair (used) in budget, the Denon AH-D7200 is pretty much exactly what you want and shouldn't require much if any EQ.

Dec 8, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #4 of 6
I had a similar goal as yours, I went from the Oppo PM3 to the Sundara and am very happy with this change. I specifically wanted the benefits of an open back headphone though, while not sacrificing much in the way of bass. Not sure if this is something you care about. In terms of bass, the sub bass is actually better with EQ (large planars do well in this regard) and still punchy but a step down being an open back. The FR is far more agreeable in the treble, the soundstage is a big step up, and the 'open' sound just sounds so much cleaner to me on many tracks.

Clearly if you're only looking at closed backs this won't work for you.
Hmm, me and closed vs open back are a strange couple. On one point I want to more easily hear the things happening around me in real life, but otherwise I really enjoy the closed back feel. Sundara is reasonably pricey, so if I did make the call I have to hope it's the right one.

I'd say Sundara or Sendy AIVA if you're willing to go open back.

If you can find them at $400 somewhere still, the Focal Elegia will also work, but EQ will definitely be required, and probably a pad swap. On the off chance you see a pair (used) in budget, the Denon AH-D7200 is pretty much exactly what you want and shouldn't require much if any EQ.
Ugh dam I like the sound of these suggestions but it just all costs too much haha. In Australia I can't find any of these at a good price.

Overall though the Sundara here is recommended twice...though I've read some iffy stuff about them - not even including the somewhat bouncy build quality. But not sure on it's sub-bass though I think mids were fine.

Dec 8, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #5 of 6
Sundaras with EQ will have very good sub bass. Not closed back quantity, but very high quality.

Dec 9, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #6 of 6
Sundaras with EQ will have very good sub bass. Not closed back quantity, but very high quality.

I'm starting to think the more I listen to music the more I'm caring about low-mids...Anyhow I feel as though I'm actually looking for a good amount of quantity...of course quality is important though... and again that "fullness feel".

Anyone know how the Monolith M1060c's are? Just a bit more affordable though again, not sure how they'd compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back