A simple question.....
Apr 5, 2004 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Mindless

1000+ Head-Fier
I've been around the forums for almost a year now. Started to post more serious stuff here as I discovered more and more in the headphone world. Now I will soon come to the point where im going to get a replacement cable for my HD600's.

I've read alot of reviews and stuff here about the Equinox, Cardas, Clou, Silver Dragon, Zu Mobius and so on. Still one thing puzzles me. The bigger part of the ones that own HD650/600 use the Zu Mobius to their headphones, despite from all the great things people have said about the Silver Dragon. Why is this?

confused.gif

Apr 5, 2004 at 2:33 PM Post #2 of 10
Personally I think more people use the Cardas... the Zu is just more talked about around here.

Apr 5, 2004 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 10
There's also the possibility that most people use the stock cable and don't get dragged into the fray.
wink.gif

BW

Apr 5, 2004 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 10
I agree with fewtch and Bill. Most people probably use stock cables and more people probably use Cardas cables.

I haven't ever heard a Zu cable so I don't know how it sounds but with an internet company like Zu it's always about word of mouth. And I think if you had success with one of their interconnects you would be more inclined to go with their headphone cable as well.

I think we're all just waiting for someone with $$$ rig with ears that we trust who would just go out and get all the cables to do a shootout.

Apr 5, 2004 at 9:37 PM Post #5 of 10
It just doesnt feel so right to spend as much money on a replacement cable as for the hedaphones themselves.

But then again all the people doing it cant be that wrong, can they?

Apr 5, 2004 at 10:03 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Howie
I think we're all just waiting for someone with $$$ rig with ears that we trust who would just go out and get all the cables to do a shootout.

Didn't tuberoller do just that in the very beginning? It's what started it all. Check out his very long thread. He favored the silver dragons, but liked the zu almost as much. Mysteriously, probably because of the bass comments, the zu was the only one that picked up steam. Well, that and Drew's problems with the silver dragon production.

Apr 6, 2004 at 8:54 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
Personally I think more people use the Cardas... the Zu is just more talked about around here.

I agree with fewtch, here. I've spent weeks reading virtually every cable thread in the archive
rolleyes.gif
and it does seem that more folks own the Cardas than any other cable.

It also seems to be a trend that a new cable comes on to the market, it's praised like mad by a reviewer, a thread starts, more praise, a truck-load of people buy them and rage over them together for a couple of weeks, fuss dies down, a few used cables hit the classified section, folks start talking Cardas again
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2004 at 9:02 AM Post #8 of 10
If you check out the members lounge for impressions from meets, the Equinox wins just about everytime it's compared with the Cardas by many people at a time (for 600's). Meet impression threads are often helpful for comparisons unlikely to be made by a single individual (like several of any one thing in the same price range - cables, amps, headphones, etc).

The Zu has flavor of the month status now; it was untouchable, but it's now starting to fall from grace now with a few bits of negative press. The dragons still don't have alot of exposure... A few more people who have heard a dragon and another replacement cable would be great.

-dd3mon

Apr 7, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

It just doesnt feel so right to spend as much money on a replacement cable as for the hedaphones themselves.

It sure doesn't but it's not like you can use the money to buy a better pair of headphones. Value wise, the replacement cable gives you more performance per dollar. Realistically, if you budget the system like most audiophiles do with their stereo system, even a $1000 CDP will be double the price of the headphone. For many people that already doesn't feel right.

Apr 7, 2004 at 12:09 AM Post #10 of 10
Well considering the Zu Mobius costs around $200 and the HD600's were around $250, that brought it within the price of a K1000.

Although, the K1000 necessitates a more hefty amp purchase price.

Then source, then amp, then source again......

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back