A short post about Head-Fi's rules
Nov 16, 2002 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

carlo

Founder of 5 in heavy rotation
I got an email from someone about a post I made about a topic I've been discussing and wanted to clarify something in regards to the member of trade issues (in case others were unclear):
Quote:

"Member of the Trade" includes manufacturers, dealers, distributors, manufacturer's representatives, importers, magazine and e-zine writers and others.

"General Forums" are those forums within Head-Fi not specifically designated as areas for commercial advertising by Members of the Trade.

No Members of the Trade can use his/her business name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number or URL as part of his/her moniker. All Members of the Trade must contact the forum administrator at jude@head-fi.org to notify him of an interest in posting before making any posts. If a forum member who was not previously a Member of the Trade becomes a Member of the Trade, he must notify the forum administrator of the change in status. After notification of the "Member of the Trade" status, the forum administrator will then add the appropriate tag (Audio Dealer, Manufacturer, Distributor, etc.) to the appropriate profile(s).

A Member of the Trade may not volunteer any information about a specific product that he is selling or making, in response to a general request for information about a type of product or in any other discussion in the General Forums.

A Member of the Trade may not post announcements, advertisements, sales information or the like about a product he makes or sells in the General Forums.

No advertising by Members of the Trade that is not pre-approved by the Head-Fi administrators is allowed in the member forums. Some sponsors have Branded Sponsor Forums in which they will be allowed to advertise their wares. There will also be designated areas and forums where sponsors and non-sponsors alike will be able to advertise their wares. Head-Fi is most definately NOT anti-trade. In fact, trade members are a welcome and vital part of the Head-Fi community. However, Head-Fi's General Forums are not the place for self promotion and advertising of audio products or services.

- Head-Fi Terms of Use
http://www.head-fi.org/documents/rules.html

Realize a member of trade can post extensive information telling people how to do modifications, suggestions on what parts to try and they thought of them, technical differences in an existing product, and politely tell people who ask to wait until an ad is posted in the proper forum before inquiring about prices or details. There's a difference between information and hype: information is good.

Thats my interpretation of it anyway. I asked Jude (I assume others did as well) to include the quoted part of The Terms of Use several months ago, and I'm glad he did. If others interpret it differently I say now's the time to speak up.

carlo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back