A seller's dilema - please advise
post-7585290
Post #1 of 11

Br777

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Hi folks.   I am in a situation with someone here on Head-Fi and I just dont know what to do.   I hope to keep the other person anonymous as there are no accusations happening.. I just would like some advice.

I recently sold a new Head-Fi'er a set of IEM's  They were in perfect working condition to my knowlege, and had one cosmetic flaw that i pointed out in the original sales thread.
The sale went well.  We both gave each other positive feedback, but after a couple weeks, the person sent me a message saying the IEM's have stopped working.  It is possible that the cosmetic issue may have contributed to the fail, but its impossible to say.  All i know is i never had an issue with them, and certainly would not have sold them if I did. 

The person is obviously not thrilled, and feels they did not get their money's worth, and is (albeit politely) asking for either a refund or partial refund.  I dont expect any foul play on their part, though to be realistic about it i cant just rule it out either.

Bottom line is I'm not sure what the right thing to do is?  Do i just express my sympathy and say tough luck?  partial refund? full refund?  If a refund is involved do I ask them to send the IEM's back, to me? 

thanks for your advice.

post-7586581
Post #2 of 11

lbj

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
In my opinion, all private party sales are as-is and final.  No warranty implied or otherwise.  As a buyer, you take a chance with used equipment to get a good price, and sometimes bad things happen.  Besides, who knows if it was something the buyer did in those intervening weeks that made the iem fail?  Just my 2c.

post-7591981
Post #3 of 11

fabio-fi

fabio-fi, jackwess and formula1 are all the same person.
Reaction score

Quote:
In my opinion, all private party sales are as-is and final.  No warranty implied or otherwise.  As a buyer, you take a chance with used equipment to get a good price, and sometimes bad things happen. 

True. 
If he's asking for a refund, tell him to send back the Iem's...and next time, before selling something specify: Im giving the headphones working perfectly, im not responsible for malfunction. 

post-7592211
Post #4 of 11

snapple10

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
After a couple of weeks, it is hard to say. 

Just wondering if you still have warranty on it. If not, you might consider  a partial refund  or  if you do have warranty, you might just refund the buyer and have them return the IEM .

Good luck in whatever you decide.

post-7592466
Post #5 of 11

wink

His amps are made out of recycled beer cans
and his source from tomatos.
Reaction score

Quote:
In my opinion, all private party sales are as-is and final.  No warranty implied or otherwise.  As a buyer, you take a chance with used equipment to get a good price, and sometimes bad things happen.  Besides, who knows if it was something the buyer did in those intervening weeks that made the iem fail?  Just my 2c. 

That's the reality.

Politely tell the buyer that they were working perfectly when sold.

If you do give a refund (and i personally don't think you should) make sure you have the buyer send them back for damage inspection before you refund the loot.
If they're not in the same physical condition you sold them (no external damage) you are justified refusing a refund.

This still doesn't cover the possibility of the drivers in the IEM's being abused by being overloaded by too much volume, or the buyer's equipment having too much DC offset that burnt out the IEM driver.

post-7592497
Post #6 of 11

Redcarmoose

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
It is not like you did anything wrong. I would just send him your kind words. There is a lot of stuff that breaks in the head-phone world. You didn't sell them because you thought something was wrong. You sold them in working condition in good faith. This is the chance that a person takes buying used equipment. They usually don't pay full price and that is the risk. You don't have to do anything.

Let your inner voice be your guide here. If it makes you feel better send some money back. You should do what ever you want here. Just remember too that you will also have equipment failures and that is just part of life. Stuff breaks.

post-7594144
Post #7 of 11

Br777

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
well i thought it over, and decided to appologize for the bad luck, and explain that i didnt feel right giving a refund since i had been honest about the transaction.  I havent heard anything back.    I feel like I did the right thing.

thanks all.

post-7594599
Post #8 of 11

Redcarmoose

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
cool

post-7594820
Post #9 of 11

cifani090

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
I think you have done the right thing; because their may of been foul play involved since he had them for a few weeks.

post-7595151
Post #10 of 11

IPodPJ

MOT: Bellatone Audio
Caution: Incomplete customer orders
Reaction score
As long as you were honest and sold him the IEMs in the condition you specified, you are not responsible for any damages.  If they arrived damaged because of a shipping problem, that is what insurance is for and why I recommend everyone purchase it.  If they died after 3 weeks, it's not your problem unless you knew there were issues with functionality before you sold them.  It sounds though like you might have known because you are suspecting the cosmetic damages could have caused the problem, and in that case it would be reasonable to offer a partial refund.  If not, you're in the clear.

post-7595320
Post #11 of 11

pcf

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
How would you feel if you bought some headphones and they fail after two weeks' of normal use? Would you just say bad luck and leave it? Blame yourself for using the wrong equipment with the phones?
Things are not always so one sided and you only to look at the Bilavideo and Grado driver thread to see the other side of the story.
In this case it is true that the seller has the right to refuse any refund but I would feel sorry for the buyer if he didn't do any wrong and the phones only lasted two weeks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)