A Rumor I heard.
Dec 15, 2007 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

The Chicken

New Head-Fier
Soo I've been looking into the V-Moda vibes. I am not a huge audiophile but I can tell the difference between different IEMs. I've heard mostly good things about the vibes and since looking on amazon I found that I can get the Gun metal black ones for $69.99 instead of the stock $101. Although I heard that a little while ago that V-Moda changed suppliers when the original started selling a slightly different version of them. Since then the quality has been crap. Or so I've heard.

Can anyone Confirm or rebuke this?

Thanks.

Dec 16, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 21
Search is your friend. There is a super long thread about Vibes, and unless you don't have eyes (no offense), I cannot understand why you would miss it if you even bothered to search. I can also gurantee you that 62.99 is way overpriced. I didn't even pay $60 for a new pair.

Dec 16, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 21
chickenman, chickengod and now the chicken? i wonder whats next

Dec 16, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

chickens*it

couldn't resist
biggrin.gif

Laz

Dec 16, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #5 of 21
Welcome to Head-Fi, The Chicken.

I don't know much about V-moda, but there are probably other threads on them which you can find through the search function.

I apologize for the marginally/outright rudeness of a couple of the other members.... they usually aren't like this.

Happy listening. Good luck finding stuff you like (and can ideally afford as well).

Dec 16, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
chickens*it

couldn't resist
biggrin.gif

Laz

should open up some sort of chicken club

Dec 16, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I apologize for the marginally/outright rudeness of a couple of the other members.... they usually aren't like this.

Yes we are! Don't go trying to pass us off as a decent bunch to some unsuspecting new member.
eek.gif

Dec 16, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #8 of 21
Yeah we're audio snobs, and tend to overdue the sarcasm, but I too have heard the same rumor and have seen lots of negative posts about build quality.

I can highly recommend the JBL reference 220 IEMs that are in the same price bracket however, and I've had no problems with mine in the 6 or 7 months I've owned them.

Dec 16, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

hahahahahaha we should make a club.

Well first to defend myself about the search thing. Before I registered i did try the search but when I did it asked me for image verification and for some reason I kept getting it wrong so i gave up and registered. I figured i would still have to do the image verification which did not work for me so I started this thread. Well i found out you don't have to verify once you have registered. Well i found the thread and skimmed through/jumped around the 141 pages. It looks like the build quality went down hill and I'm starting to doupt my choice since I want these to las a while.

Also don't worry about the rude people they are on every forum. I'm a regular over at zunescene.com so i see my share over there.

Thanks for the welcome The Actual. This it a great forum a ton of info just kinda hard to find the stuff you need sometimes. It's time for em to resume my search for some new buds.

Dec 16, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah we're audio snobs, and tend to overdue the sarcasm, but I too have heard the same rumor and have seen lots of negative posts about build quality.

I can highly recommend the JBL reference 220 IEMs that are in the same price bracket however, and I've had no problems with mine in the 6 or 7 months I've owned them.

Thanks I'll take a look.

Sorry for the double post if it bothers anyone.

Dec 16, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #11 of 21
The Vibes are horrible. Its representation of percussion is the worst thing I have ever heard on a pair of earbuds. They are notorious for having sound cut out of one earbud eventually, and sometimes soon followed by both.

Dec 16, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #12 of 21
Is 70 USD about the top of your budget? If you want to go straight to the top and not worry about upgrading your IEMs again I personally recommend the Etymotic ER4P. They are around 200 USD, but totally worth it. Etymotic has good customer service as well in case you run into any problems with them later on (unlikely- I have had mine for two or three years and they are still great).

They have more of a detailed approach and they won't be hitting you over the head with bass quantity. There are tons of reviews and opinions of the ER4P and other IEMs around here, like you said it can be tough to find them but the information is out there. Shure E4c might be another one to look at in the same price range as the ER4P.

Dec 16, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Chicken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soo I've been looking into the V-Moda vibes. I am not a huge audiophile but I can tell the difference between different IEMs. I've heard mostly good things about the vibes and since looking on amazon I found that I can get the Gun metal black ones for $69.99 instead of the stock $101. Although I heard that a little while ago that V-Moda changed suppliers when the original started selling a slightly different version of them. Since then the quality has been crap. Or so I've heard.

Can anyone Confirm or rebuke this?

Thanks.

That is the scuttlebutt. They went from OVC, as they were selling some out the back door or the early versions anyway for resale (I was living in China at the time and was the one who alerted V-Moda). OVC can put out some ok stuff and they would have been better off staying with them but . . . they didn't. Now they are sold in the Apple stores and on Apple online. There is the version for the new Apple phone that hasn't gotten great reviews. Val no longer seems to show up here. I guess he didn't like the heat. I used to correspond with him. I see that they are using a corded line now, something I suggested a long time ago but the sound quality doesn't seem to be to many people liking. I have some Red Roxx that didn't sound bad at first but then for some reason the sound went bad. I think it was a quality control issue and also many people have had problems with the cord coming out of the ear monitor. I even ran into a guy in an Apple store that remarked he had had that happen and he was an employee. He said it was hard for him to recommend the Vibes now because of that and a few customers having problems. Too bad. Seemed like they were a good idea.

Dec 16, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #14 of 21
I tried a V-Moda. About 20 seconds and one low, loud bass note later. CRACK and SPUTTER. Right channel gone. They were returned in the next day's mail.

Dec 16, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #15 of 21
the only problem i had with my vibes was that i didn't like the way they sounded. i couldn't believe the rave reviews some had given them (eg. putting them above a westone um2). i recently saw them at my local costco selling for ~$70.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back