A quick question about Open Headphones.
Sep 7, 2011 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

The_Blood_Raven

100+ Head-Fier
Hey. Oddly enough, I did a search and failed to find a good answer. Perhaps this is just too newby a question.

How loud is the sound bleeding from an open pair of headphones when worn? I am looking to buy a pair of Fischer Audio FA-011s. For a reference, is it about as loud as a closed back pair of headphones laying on a flat surface with the open part (I guess the drivers) pointing directly into the air at similar volumes?

Thanks.

Sep 7, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #2 of 5
Sound coming off from the outer side of the cup of my SR60i is just a little lower than the sound coming off from the inner side of the cups (where my ears come into contact). Some headphones leak less, some leak more. I'm not so sure about the Fischers.. but imo, the sound leakage from the outer cups won't bother anyone if you're in an open environment. If you're in a quiet room, like a library, it's quite distracting. 

Sep 7, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #3 of 5
Sound coming off from the outer side of the cup of my SR60i is just a little lower than the sound coming off from the inner side of the cups (where my ears come into contact). Some headphones leak less, some leak more. I'm not so sure about the Fischers.. but imo, the sound leakage from the outer cups won't bother anyone if you're in an open environment. If you're in a quiet room, like a library, it's quite distracting. 

Cool thanks. That's basically what I needed to know. From what I've heard, the isolation is pretty good for an open pair of headphones.

I suppose if worse comes to worse, I can just replace the FA-011s.

Sep 7, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
Hey. Oddly enough, I did a search and failed to find a good answer. Perhaps this is just too newby a question.

How loud is the sound bleeding from an open pair of headphones when worn? I am looking to buy a pair of Fischer Audio FA-011s. For a reference, is it about as loud as a closed back pair of headphones laying on a flat surface with the open part (I guess the drivers) pointing directly into the air at similar volumes?

Thanks.

Heya,

Not all open air headphones leak the same. It's all about how the grill and construction is. For example, an open-air Beyer like the DT990 doesn't seem to leak all that bad when I lay it down or hear it someone else even at high volumes. But a Grado bleeds like there's no tomorrow and from two rooms away sounds like a 1980's boombox (the headphone doesn't sound that way, of course, but from a few rooms away, the leak sounds like that).

The FA-011's I would say are some where in the middle.

They're great headphones. The only reason to not go for them is if leaking sound is actually a very sensitive point (like a work environment perhaps).

Very best,

Sep 7, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #5 of 5
As already mentioned, it varies from headphone to headphone.

My AD700s bleed quite a lot of sound, but the Stax Lambda is rather quiet by comparison despite being even more open. That could be due to the use of electrostatic drivers instead of dynamic drivers, or any other number of additional things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back