A Quick Klipsch S4 Review
Oct 25, 2010 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Punky

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

So I finally broke my V-Moda Vibes the other day at the gym. It was my own stupid fault - I was jogging and I violently slammed the wire with my hand, which messed up the right side earbud. It was pretty stupid of me, and I should've had my iPod on my belt. So don't take that as a critique of the Vibes durability. I've knocked the crap out of them before, and they've come back strong. But even the best IEMs can only take so much. That was their limit.

That being said, I was never a huge fan of the Vibes. The bass was fat and overwhelming and the isolation wasn't that good. When I got them several years back, they retailed for ~$100. When I went to J&R this weekend, they were going for $40. I think that's a very accurate price for them, given what the market offers these days.

I was initially in the market for some Etymotic MC5s, but the (rather attractive Asian (Hmong I think)) clerk told me that the bass is lacking in the MC5s. Given that I've used the ER6is before, and didn't really like it (though it was shockingly clear), I asked her for a recommendation. She told me to go with the Klipsch S4s for the bass. I'm a sucker for cute girls, and that, along with the 2 week return policy, sold me on them.

I have to say I'm fairly impressed with them. For the money, (~$80) it's got very solid, controlled bass, along with reasonable mids. It's really nice to hear the individual notes on the bass guitar on rock songs. The top of the high range is a bit rolled off, at least compared to the ER6is, but these are a LOT better than my Vibes. I haven't burned them in yet, so I'm curious to see if the highs get a little clearer in the process. That would make these things damn near perfect, especially when you consider the sub-$100 price. 

They sit very comfortably in my ears. I'm using the mid-sized gel glider tips that were included. I'm considering ordering some foam tips, and seeing how that might alter the sound. Anyone have any ideas on that, by the way?

The isolation is good, though I haven't really tried them on the subway yet (the NYC subway and NY/NJ PATH Train are the loudest, shittiest places to listen to music EVER, and they're also the way I test isolation on any set of headphones.) but I look forward to that on my commute home.

I may someday pick up some MC5s, as I'm realizing I'm a lot less of a basshead than I used to be. There's part of me that's tempted to swap these for MC5s in the store, see which I like more, and get that one. But that seems like an abuse of the store's return policy.

For anyone who's curious, I've used Shure E210s (hated them), V-Moda Vibes (found them mediocre), Etyomtic ER6is (a little too flat and bassless, though amazingly clear highs), and Sony MDR-7506s (which I use for casual listening,. DJing, and music production - these are still my favorites.)

Anyway, even if I don't swap these out for MC5s, I'll be pretty happy nonetheless.

Oct 25, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #2 of 12
Hey, if the cute clerk says they're good, they must be!

Oct 25, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #4 of 12
we call those hasians
biggrin.gif

Quote:
(rather attractive Asian (Hmong I think)) clerk  

Anyway, interesting to hear they arent total crap, as some may say. I bought a pair for my sister as a birthday present. I'm trying to get her addicted to sound

Oct 25, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #5 of 12
I had a pair of S4i's that I purchased from Apple. Initially, I was disappointed. They are definitely biased toward the low-end. However, after a burn-in period the sound evened out a bit. Thanks to this site, I have been romanced into considering the W3, SM3, or the eq7. Thus, the S4's were returned.

Oct 27, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #7 of 12
I almost bought the S4s based on my favourite gadget magazine's review of them... Stuff magazine (UK) gave them 5 stars and i went with their advice previously when i bought the X10s based on their review of that IEM.

Oct 27, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
we call those hasians
biggrin.gif

Anyway, interesting to hear they arent total crap, as some may say. I bought a pair for my sister as a birthday present. I'm trying to get her addicted to sound

Nah they aren't total crap. There's an emphasis on the bass, but I find that if you buy an IEM without that emphasis, you end up with something really, really thin sounding. I didn't like the Etymotic E6is at all. But then, I was coming from a pair of V-Moda Bass Freqs, so that certainly biased me.

Oct 27, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #9 of 12
the fact these were flavor of the month doesn't mean they're bad.  for their price point, you'll be hard pressed to find a iem that's massively better.  i've heard that with a bit of amping, these really shine.  but they're rather fantastic after 100+ hours of burn in.

Oct 27, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
the fact these were flavor of the month doesn't mean they're bad.  for their price point, you'll be hard pressed to find a iem that's massively better.  i've heard that with a bit of amping, these really shine.  but they're rather fantastic after 100+ hours of burn in.

I bought the S4 and S4i (one for me, one for the SO) way back when they were FOTM.  Still sound awesome, although our new puppy chewed the cord (AARRRGGGHHH....got into the bedroom and he wasn't supposed to).  So, even though I've got the C710 and just yesterday got the W3......I've bought a cheap set of JBUDs just for the cable, and will recable the S4 so I can enjoy them again too.....

Oct 27, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #11 of 12
I saw the S4s on a deal thread here somewhere. I can't seem to find it but I was seriously considering getting them as my backup IEMs to my SE535s. Glad you're enjoying them. It's nice when a recommendation works out nicely.

Oct 28, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #12 of 12
I'm digging it. I actually A-Bed them with my old Sony MDR-7506s... and man I thought I loved those old birds... but damn, I think I actually like the S4 better. This is like mind blowing to me. The MDRs were my gold standard for years...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back