A Question to K1000 Owners
Feb 12, 2009 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

AudioDwebe

Headphoneus Supremus
No response to my previous ramblings (I apologize) so I just want cut to the chase:

What did you get after the K1000's or did these cause you to stop upgrading, at least for a while?

Thanks.

'Dwebe

Feb 15, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #2 of 54
The K1000 is awesome but not really the be all end all, it's a high end phone that does many thing excellently but others not so. It is very punchy but lacks the deepest notes and some find that annoying. Some also feel they're a bit steely at the top end. Then there's the comfort thing many dislike with the design.

No the K1000 isn't the final stop for most owners. I have since added more 'stats, electrets and many orthodynamics.

Feb 15, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 54
I'm working on a DIY design which makes better use of the drivers from the Precide Ergo AMT. Right now it's a mess but it's already better than the Ergo and readily competes with the K1000. I anticipate that by the time it's finished, it will have the edge. Plan is to have a custom wood housing, the Stax 4070 headband and make use of either the Lambda or Sigma earpads. I already had the Omega 2 when my K1000 came into the frey though, so it maybe wasn't an upgrade to start with
wink.gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #5 of 54
^ Agree about the speaker set up.

The K-1000 is my favorite headphone. I've heard all of the top phones and this is the best for my taste. It simply reveals your system and the recording in the most neutral and accurate way. All of that and speed too. It has the best characteristics of dynamics and stats. The bass has impact and is the best I've heard in a headphone, but the attenuated bottom end can leave you wanting more for heavier rock.

I use the HP-2s for the harder stuff because it is on the same level of refinement but has more weight in the bass.

The top end being bright or harsh is simply an equipment or recording issue. These things scale amazingly well. If you like minimal coloration, the K-1000 is at the pinnacle.

It has stopped me from upgrading completely since there is nothing to upgrade to ... that was until the HD800 was announced - but it has a lot to live up to if I could ever say it is an upgrade. I expect it to be another top end phone... we'll see, hopefully I'll get mine soon.

Feb 16, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #6 of 54
I got the O2 (Mk1) after the K1k, and for the time being it put a stop to my headphone purchases. Right now I'm trying to max out the rest of the signal path within budget limitations, and the O2 is so brutally revealing that it lets you know right away what is wrong with your equipment. The O2 is also rather different in its presentation from the K1k and IMO less colored - more extended on the bottom, far more liquid and fluid, and less steely up top, but also less vibrant and less dynamic. It's up to your equipment to make it vibrant or dynamic, and up to your equipment to basically voice it whichever way you want. Which really means that your equipment has better be good. The K1k thrives on lush, liquid tube gear, but the O2's sound can vary from bright, dark, steely, wooly, liquid, dry, thin, think, basically anything that you can think of, all based on what it's mated to.

Feb 16, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #7 of 54
The k1000 caused me to stop upgrading, at least for a while, and even downscale.
Prior to the K1000 I had 8 Stax'en, and now I have 2 Stax'en (SR-007BL and SR-404) and the K1000. They are just awesome!
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #8 of 54
After the K1000 .... AT L3000.... very different

Cheers,

Feb 16, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #9 of 54
So far my K1000's are my favorite. But, I have a preorder in on the new Senn HD800's. As far as I have seen and know, there is no such thing as jumping off the upgrade path. There are always products that will do something differently from what one currently owns.

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #10 of 54
Unfortunately for me, the k1k's were far from the end of my quest. The search goes on...
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #11 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately for me, the k1k's were far from the end of my quest. The search goes on...
smily_headphones1.gif

Good to hear from you. Have you amped those K-1000s adequately yet? Oh, why bother, the HD800 is coming out. You should really take a look at those. They seem very neutral, and I know that is in line with your taste.

Feb 26, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #13 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My plan for now is to get a good speaker set up. I like the K1000 in many ways. However, no headphone is like a good speaker set up.

Speakers like spareribs

Phones like ducksauce

Mar 5, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #14 of 54
I've spent a lot of money on a speaker system including a Bel Canto S300id and Avalon NP2 speakers. It sounds absolutely fantastic. But above 50 Hz, I think the K1000s are still the slightest touch more resolving. Actually, I don't think I've ever heard a speaker setup that's more revealing of micro detail than the K1000s, at least above sub bass frequencies. If one gets them and loves their sound signature, then upgrading simply shifts to all upstream components. You could spend a nearly unlimited amount on amps and dacs to use with it.

That said, it sounds like the HD800s might turn out to have all of the K1000's strengths, plus excellent bass extension. Here's to hoping they turn out to be that good!

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #15 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No response to my previous ramblings (I apologize) so I just want cut to the chase:

What did you get after the K1000's or did these cause you to stop upgrading, at least for a while?

Thanks.

'Dwebe

I found the HD600 to be more true to life than the K1000 which is artificially sterilised for extensive detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back