A question regarding balanced amps/DACs
Jan 25, 2018 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

squee116

500+ Head-Fier
I'm not here to start a flaming war about what's better: balanced and unbalanced.

I've already decided to give balanced a shot, after building a collection of unbalanced DACs and amps, to make the determination for myself.

I have an Aune x7s coming to me soon, though I know it's not a "true" balanced amp, as it doesn't have balanced inputs.

I've been looking at the Massdrop LCX x SDAC combo, and the Schiit Jot/DAC.

If I remember correctly, the Jot has discrete DAC chips for each channel, and the LCX and X7s do not.

Considering the source is PC->DAC->Amp, and it'll likely be a USB connection, I was curious if the LCX x SDAC would have a significant difference from USB vs a balanced input, and where the SDAC lays on the DAC scale (with minimum acceptable DAC being a Modi 2, and the best DAC I've heard thus far being the Bimby)

Is the combo unit worth it, if I'm just going to try and get a discrete DAC with balanced output?
Is there a significant difference in the sound signatures of the Jot, x7s, and LCx? I've heard the Jot can be real detail oriented, but with a fairly thin stage. I've not heard much about the others.

If I do get the LCX, and if balanced inputs do make a difference, what would be an appropriate DAC to match with it? Would it be cheaper to just get the Jot with DAC section?

Thanks for any help on this.

Jan 25, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 5
Not to make it more confusing, but another option you might look it as the Topping DX7 ($400-ish), which has dual dac, balanced headphone output, and balanced line out. The DX7 would let you add amps later that accept balanced inputs, and will be a bit cheaper than a Jot and much cheaper than most dedicated balanced DACs. But unlike the Jot it will not accept balanced input from another DAC.

I haven't listened to any of the units in question. I was curious about this as well, but I don't really have a desktop setup, so I went for portable balanced/partially balanced gear.

Jan 25, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 5
Not to make it more confusing, but another option you might look it as the Topping DX7 ($400-ish), which has dual dac, balanced headphone output, and balanced line out. The DX7 would let you add amps later that accept balanced inputs, and will be a bit cheaper than a Jot and much cheaper than most dedicated balanced DACs. But unlike the Jot it will not accept balanced input from another DAC.

I haven't listened to any of the units in question. I was curious about this as well, but I don't really have a desktop setup, so I went for portable balanced/partially balanced gear.
It's really hard not having heard any of these.
Last time I was at the Schiitr was just before the Jot was released. I'm somewhat interested in a tube amp that would be balanced too, but that might become more of a diy project for me.

Jan 25, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 5
I'm also slightly worried, as I've recently read the LCx series has a warm sound signature, which I already get out of my Violectric v200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back