A question for tube users regarding matched quads
Oct 31, 2008 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

lisnalee

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm ordering a woo GES amp (my first tube amp)in the next few days along with the upgraded matched quad Ratheon 12BZ7 tubes. I was just wondering if one of these tubes goes belly up do i need to replace all four. Or is there a way of finding a suitably matched replacement.

All help is much appreciated
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 10
They dont require 100% matching. With the gain of that tube, it will be pretty hard to find very well matched tubes anyways.

If one of the quad dies, the others are probably not far behind anyways.

Nov 2, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #7 of 10
I am really enjoying my GES Maxed with 12BZ7, and upgraded with normal and pro bias jacks and RCA loop out. It is clearly more detailed and transparent than the GES prototype that I had here for a couple of months.

The good news is that the 12BZ7 I got from Woo are good enough to not tube roll at all - I just wanted to have an extra set in case one tube dies, so I can replace all 4 at the same time. So, I will be trying out a new matched quad of "cryo-treated re-issued Mullard 12AX7" that was about $125 shipped, which is about 2-3x the cost of the ones that come with it. I'll let you know what I think about them after I get some hours on them.

Nov 2, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ does your GES come with any upgrades or a He Audio jack?

I haven't placed the order yet, I've got till tomorrow evening to decide on whether or not pony up for the upgraded caps package. I only really decided on getting a pair of the jades yesterday, so it never even crossed my mind about having a 5 pin xlr socket for them, to save having to use the stax adaptor. Great idea vcoheda
beerchug.gif

I think an email to jack might be in order to see what he can do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am really enjoying my GES Maxed with 12BZ7, and upgraded with normal and pro bias jacks and RCA loop out. It is clearly more detailed and transparent than the GES prototype that I had here for a couple of months.

The good news is that the 12BZ7 I got from Woo are good enough to not tube roll at all - I just wanted to have an extra set in case one tube dies, so I can replace all 4 at the same time. So, I will be trying out a new matched quad of "cryo-treated re-issued Mullard 12AX7" that was about $125 shipped, which is about 2-3x the cost of the ones that come with it. I'll let you know what I think about them after I get some hours on them.

I'd love to hear you impressions on the mullards when you get the chance.

I've done a bit of searching online and have seen a few nice ones on the likes of tube depot costing anything from from $99 to $379 a pair so your's would definitely be more wallet freindly
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yikes purchased a GES with a HE jack, so i know that it can be done.

Great... Saves me having to sort out the pin out details for him.

Edit: Just got word back from Jack, he has a second faceplate already machined for the extra the HeAudio socket and the wiring guide from Yikes' order.

Well he had its now going on mine
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back