A question for SM3 owners who listen to rock music
Jul 26, 2010 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

meurglys0

100+ Head-Fier
I posted this question on the SM3 appreciation thread, but I realized either not many people are following that thread 3 months after its creation or not many SM3 owners listen to rock music. So I wanted restate my question in a fresh thread in case the former is the reason behind my question getting almost no replies the first time...

A question for SM3 owners who listen to rock music:

What is your perferred bass and treble settings

a) On your home or car stereo (when you are not using SM3 or other types of earphones, headphones etc...)?

b) When your listening to music with SM3?

Please indicate the Musician + album, too.

I'm asking this, because I am hoping to get a general idea about how bassy people in this forum prefer listening to their rock music and also a general idea about how bassy or not-bassy SM3's are for rock music.

I noticed many people in this forum listen to trance, hiphop and rap which (as far as I understand) comes alive with good thumping bass beats. However I am not very fond of thumping, boomy or bassy sound; I like the bass guitar, but not a bassy sound... Also some people mentioned some things about the SM3 treble being recessed... So I'm trying to figure out in my own way if SM3 is for me, or not.

Jul 28, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 15
the treble on the SM3 is not recessed or rolled off  and they have plenty of bass for rock music,some of the rock music i listen to are ,  led leppelin, nazerath , deep purple ,greatful dead ,allman brothers band ,johnny winter, jefferson airplane /starship, hendrix ,slade, quicksilver messenger service, golden earring, molly hatchett, uriha heep ,neil young & crazy horse , buffalo springfield 

Quote:
I posted this question on the SM3 appreciation thread, but I realized either not many people are following that thread 3 months after its creation or not many SM3 owners listen to rock music. So I wanted restate my question in a fresh thread in case the former is the reason behind my question getting almost no replies the first time...

A question for SM3 owners who listen to rock music:

What is your perferred bass and treble settings

a) On your home or car stereo (when you are not using SM3 or other types of earphones, headphones etc...)?

b) When your listening to music with SM3?

Please indicate the Musician + album, too.

I'm asking this, because I am hoping to get a general idea about how bassy people in this forum prefer listening to their rock music and also a general idea about how bassy or not-bassy SM3's are for rock music.

I noticed many people in this forum listen to trance, hiphop and rap which (as far as I understand) comes alive with good thumping bass beats. However I am not very fond of thumping, boomy or bassy sound; I like the bass guitar, but not a bassy sound... Also some people mentioned some things about the SM3 treble being recessed... So I'm trying to figure out in my own way if SM3 is for me, or not.

Jul 29, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #3 of 15

Quote:
the treble on the SM3 is not recessed or rolled off  and they have plenty of bass for rock music,some of the rock music i listen to are ,  led leppelin, nazerath , deep purple ,greatful dead ,allman brothers band ,johnny winter, jefferson airplane /starship, hendrix ,slade, quicksilver messenger service, golden earring, molly hatchett, uriha heep ,neil young & crazy horse , buffalo springfield 

Thanks for your reply...

I'm worried that it might have more bass than I like, since it's said to be on the warm side and now you say it has plenty of bass. I don't like a bassy sound. I don't like a trebly sound either. The tricky thing is that I own a Zune 120 and it doesn't have an equalizer. So Either it is perfect for me or not; I will not be able to alter the sound via EQ. Hence my questions above...

May I ask, what are you bass and treble settings on your home stereo? (I'm asking this in order to be able to tell if you like your music bassy anyway, so maybe SM3 maybe suitable for you etc...) Also... Do you use equalizer with the SM3?

Jul 30, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 15
^ x2, the SM3 aren't too bassy. Their warmth is due to lower mids presence and (dare I say it
wink.gif
) slightly recessed highs.

Jul 31, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #6 of 15
I have no idear what the SM3 will sound like with a zune 120 as i have not got one , i use mine with ipod classic with lod to p3+ heron amp , which has a selection of opamps which change the sound sig of the amp ,i use a combination which gives a slightly bass and treble enhanched sound to liven up the sound of the SM3 . I do not use eq settings on my ipod .

However the SM3 does not add extra bass to songs so there should only be the amount of bass that is in the recording . 

As to my home stereo ,i have not listened to it for about a year now since i got into iem's  ,all my listening these days is done with my portable rig and recently i find myself using my westone 3 more than he SM3 ,and the w3 puts out more bass more of the time than the SM3 .

Quote:

Thanks for your reply...

I'm worried that it might have more bass than I like, since it's said to be on the warm side and now you say it has plenty of bass. I don't like a bassy sound. I don't like a trebly sound either. The tricky thing is that I own a Zune 120 and it doesn't have an equalizer. So Either it is perfect for me or not; I will not be able to alter the sound via EQ. Hence my questions above...

May I ask, what are you bass and treble settings on your home stereo? (I'm asking this in order to be able to tell if you like your music bassy anyway, so maybe SM3 maybe suitable for you etc...) Also... Do you use equalizer with the SM3?

Jul 31, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #7 of 15
Now that I am starting to find the tips that work absolutely the best for me (the default double flange were comfortable but caused recession the treble) I don't find the SM3 to be recessed in the treble anymore but I also don't like to much treble so may be a bit biased. Personally I echo the other posts that state the SM3 is not to bassy or warm. To my ear it's very neutral when I use the SM3 for consistantly I actually find IEM's like my Monster Turbine Professional Copper to sound very bassy and warm in comparison.

I listen to alot of Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Kansas, and other rock music. The only one I have found to be not well done by the SM3 is AC/DC as their music needs more rawness to sound right. Otherwise I quite like the SM3 for this genre.

Aug 1, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #8 of 15
Thanks for all the replies. They've cleared out much of my doubts about purchasing an SM3. If my Zune hadn't stopped working just yesterday, I would have ordered the SM3 right away; but now I have to wait till the Zune service decides whether I get a replament or not. If it's replaced, then SM3 will be the first thing I'll spend my money on; if not, it will only be the second!  

Quote:
Now that I am starting to find the tips that work absolutely the best for me (the default double flange were comfortable but caused recession the treble) I don't find the SM3 to be recessed in the treble anymore but I also don't like to much treble so may be a bit biased.

I listen to alot of Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Kansas, and other rock music.

What's your final choice of tips, may I ask?

I am not fond of piercing treble, either. I was just worried that it might be recessed...

I am dreaming of listening to Pink Floyd with the SM3, as it's soundstage is by now a legend, and I can't think of anything more suitable for a wide soundstage IEM than Pink Floyd, as the music they create is all about journeying though vast sonudscapes. 

Aug 1, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #9 of 15
pink floyd dose sound glorious on the SM3 
L3000.gif

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. They've cleared out much of my doubts about purchasing an SM3. If my Zune hadn't stopped working just yesterday, I would have ordered the SM3 right away; but now I have to wait till the Zune service decides whether I get a replament or not. If it's replaced, then SM3 will be the first thing I'll spend my money on; if not, it will only be the second!  

What's your final choice of tips, may I ask?

I am not fond of piercing treble, either. I was just worried that it might be recessed...

I am dreaming of listening to Pink Floyd with the SM3, as it's soundstage is by now a legend, and I can't think of anything more suitable for a wide soundstage IEM than Pink Floyd, as the music they create is all about journeying though vast sonudscapes. 

Aug 1, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 15
You gotta be crazy, you gotta have a real need.
You gotta sleep on your toes, and when you're on the street,
You gotta be able to pick out the easy meat with your eyes closed....

Quote:
Quote:

I've heard this from numerous people so I'm really looking forward to listening to Animals through the SM3s when they arrive!

Aug 1, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #13 of 15
I would say you will get the best sound from a wide nozzled tip. I am having good success using meelec single flange and UE single flange, if you like triple flange and monster turbine series tips available they work well. If your into buying tips I have heard good things about the sensorcoms dual flange tip. You can find info and links to the sensorcom tips in the original appreciation thread in the 3rd post and the new thread also has posts in it regarding tips.

Aug 2, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #15 of 15
Yes, X3 on wider opening tips. That really helps the treble, and therefore makes rock music come to life. I find them awesome for rock. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back