A question for Ben Folds Five fans
Nov 15, 2002 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Todd R

Headphoneus Supremus
On the album "Whatever and Ever Amen" the song "Brick".
What do you suppose happened in that song? I have my own guesses, but I'd like to hear yours.
confused.gif

Nov 15, 2002 at 11:39 PM Post #2 of 16
my own take and what i've heard from others is that it's about a boyfriend/girlfriend and the g/f is having an abortion

This probably gives it away..

"Can't you see
It's not me you're dying for"

There are plenty of other clues in the song. It makes the most sense to me.

Nov 16, 2002 at 1:46 AM Post #6 of 16
Ben Folds is driving his high-school girlfriend to get an abortion on the day after X-Mas. he has to sell some of his gifts to pay for it. That's straight from the man.

And you thought they were a "cute and cuddly" band!
wink.gif

Mark

Nov 16, 2002 at 4:18 AM Post #9 of 16
Hah! I live in North Adelaide, South Australia, and Ben Folds lives around the corner from me. When he's in town, he's always drinking coffee at this place called Cibo's.
biggrin.gif

Nov 16, 2002 at 4:44 AM Post #10 of 16
Tell him he has no reason to go solo and that he should get back together with the other two.
mad.gif
That band was INSANE! I've seen them live three times and they were just fantastic. Everything he does from now on will live in the shadow of Ben Folds Five...

Tell him. I mean it.

Mark

Nov 16, 2002 at 5:34 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Tell him he has no reason to go solo and that he should get back together with the other two.
mad.gif
That band was INSANE! I've seen them live three times and they were just fantastic. Everything he does from now on will live in the shadow of Ben Folds Five...

Tell him. I mean it.

Mark

Whenever I see him, (I've actually only see him about three times), I always give him the thumbs up, and he returns the gesture with a humble nod and smile. Seems like a nice guy.

Never had the courage to say anything to him though, perhaps if I ever see him again, I'll ask him if there is any chance that the band will get back together, how about that?

Problem is, I never see him just walking down the street - everytime I see him, he's drinking coffee at a cafe around the corner, and busy with his wife/girlfriend. Don't want to bother him.

Nov 19, 2002 at 6:35 PM Post #12 of 16
We used to see Ben Folds Five playing in bars and small venues around Raleigh and Chapel Hill in the mid 90's. That luxury didn't last very long because they were discovered and made it big real fast. It was great while it lasted because this was an incredible band, such a breath of fresh air compared to the run of the mill guitar based rock bands.

I didn't know Ben Folds had moved to Australia.

Nov 19, 2002 at 11:19 PM Post #13 of 16
Hmmm... He's been living here ever since I was in primary school. I think. (~5 years)

Nov 21, 2002 at 12:26 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Tell him he has no reason to go solo and that he should get back together with the other two. That band was INSANE! I've seen them live three times and they were just fantastic. Everything he does from now on will live in the shadow of Ben Folds Five...

I dunno, personally I think Ben Folds is more, well more Ben Folds solo than when he was in Ben Folds Five. You can see that as time went on the band became less of a vehicle for him and more of a band. Which was cool, but with Rockin the Suburbs, I actually think Ben tightened everything up and is definitely not living in the shadow of BF5. And have you seen him on the Ben Folds and a Piano tours? He is awesome by himself. Then again, I never got to see BF5 so I don't know what I might be missing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back