A question considering IEMs.
Apr 8, 2007 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sa1nt

New Head-Fier
Hi! Yes, I know that such question is asked VERY frequently, but still..

Recently I broke my beloved Audio-Technica ATH-CK7. That was a great loss for me, and for now I'm listening to some crappy (well, not THAT crappy actually) iAudio stock earbuds.

And now I need something, that would block the noise while commuting and just when I don't want to hear anyone
wink.gif

I heard that the new line of Shures is coming out, and the SE310 seem to be nice..

So does anybody know how these Shures compare with ATH-CK7?

Or maybe somebody could recommend me something similar?
I personally would like mostly the same sound signature (as ATH-CK7) but with more details (and, preferrably, bass, but that's not that critical).
I listen to almost everything except rap/hip-hop, but including JRock (Go!Go!7188 rocks!!), Electronic (infected mushroom), JPop (Hamasaki Ayumi), and Jean Michelle Jarre and Rob Dougan, whose genre I cannot define..

The last possibility for me is buying another pair of ATH-CK7's and maybe a bucket of spare Panasonic RP-HJE50's for extreme situations (like a bus trip to Germany). But I wouldn't like that very much, because I feel the virus of Upgraditis living inside of me..
wink.gif

PS Excuse me for possible mistakes. English isn't my native..
PPS If there are any Orthodox Christians out there, Happy Easter to you, and don't forget: Христос Воскресе!
wink.gif

PPPS Thanks in advance..

Apr 8, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #2 of 6
I haven't heard the Audio-Technica ATH-CK7's ... they certainly look good.

Depending on prices and availability, maybe Etymotics ER6i's would isolate even more (they isolate very well with flanges and foams) and provide even more detail ... and you could consider something like the Creative EP630's as a backup pair (instead of the RP-HJE50's, my least favorite in-ears ... but of course that's just my opinion).

I hope you get some helpful comments and suggestions. Maybe you should just replace the A-T's, since you know you like them.

And your post was impressively clear, especially considering it wasn't in your native language.

Apr 8, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for the reply!

Well, Etymotics also seem a nice option..

But I do not actually want to simply buy myself another pair of ATH-CK7, because I already know them really well, and I feel what exactly I would like to improve in their sound signature.

For example, sometimes, when listening to music via cheap (terribly cheap, actually) Genius PC speakers, that I have at the job, I can hear some details, that I haven't heard on the A-Ts.. That's really sad for me, because I'd like to hear all the details (or at least most of them) from the earphones. Mostly because they cost 10 times more than these speakers.

About the Panasonics - well, I haven't decided which of those cheap in-ears should I get as a backup pair. It's just that I heard somewhere on head-fi them being praised. Maybe I'll get the Creatives. JVC Marshmallows are also said to be nice for the price.

Oh, and one more question. What's the sonic difference between Etymotics ER6, ER6i and ER4? Is it worth a 100USD?

PS Thanks for praising my English. I don't use it very often now, so it was really nice to hear (read?)
580smile.gif

Apr 8, 2007 at 9:59 AM Post #4 of 6
I think it's definitely worth going for er-4. it has more detail and the highs are more transparent and more controlled. I had er-6i for about 3-4 months before I could take it no longer and bought er-4, and now, these phones I'm going to keep forever
biggrin.gif

if u choose to go er-4, a word of warning: it may take time getting the right fit. You may go through different types of tips before u find one comfortable for you. If you don't get a good fit, u won't get the full bass response.

anyway, I'm fairly certain both er-4 and se310 will kick the ever-living **** out of ck7

Apr 8, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 6
All in all, the question is, which of of these sound signatures is closer to A-T ATH-CK7:

Etymotic ER-6i
Etymotic ER-4
Shure E4 / SE310
Shure E3 / SE210
Westone UM1
Westone UM2
UE super.fi 3 Studio
UE super.fi 5 Pro

Actually, my favourite is UE super.fi 5 Pro, but I'm a little bit concerned about their build quality. This is a rather important factor for me, because I sometimes simply cannot be careful enough with my gear.

And thanks in advance for replying to this question once more (I guess there was a thousand of such questions here at head-fi already)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back