A question about cowon d2 with Fiio E5
Jun 12, 2010 at 12:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Thedevilgamer

New Head-Fier
Hi,
Recently I received the AKG K518 headphones.
I have a  COWON D2 mp4 which the headphones should be connected to, but I feel the sound is weaker than usual and sounds a bit "flat", but on the other hand when I try the headphones with my father's  headphones amplifier, tha Pro ject Head stereo Box ii it made the sound to get more quality and more "alive" ,
My question is: 
can the FIIO E5 mobile amp can help in the cowon d2 case (it will make the sound of the phones sound better?)? Is there a option that my COWON D2 can't "push" the headphones to their max?cause I know he has very powerful amplifier.

Thanks for the help!

sorry about my bad english!

Jun 16, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #3 of 9
ive had the d2 with the fiio but i think its better at giving cans that are easily driven already a push and it did help with my ultrasones.
at a budget i would say a good cmoy would be better ,my caffine ultra has loads of power
anyway you may get an answer by someone with more knowledge than myself

Jun 17, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #5 of 9
i didnt think so, but my ultra has two gain settings to match cans and it sounds better than the fiio , it has the same opamp as the new arrow ,i also like the way it can be run from a 12 volt adaptor while charging the battary

Jun 20, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #7 of 9
Try the Fiio E7. They kinda belong to same family as the E5 but did give my Vsonic R02 Pro II a warmer feel with the bass boost function (many reviews recommend only till level 3.... after that the sound just feels bloated). Plus, the Vsonics are of low impedence... so the E7's did give that needed extra boost (Have not tried them with my higher impedence Grado GR8 though). However, given the issue of being more "alive", I can't say much. Many reviews said the E7's were cold and analytical but I thought otherwise. 

I realize my comparison may be a bit weak (still new and since your looking for something to drive headphones rather than an IEM) but the E7 was a great upgrade to the E5 and its pretty cheap. 

Jun 20, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #9 of 9
I don't really know any other amps worth mentioning around that price. Tried the CMOY's? Zigis' makes pretty good ones last I heard but they're not as cheap as the Z5. Anyway... there are other CMOY's on ebay that can go for prices that are even lower than the E5. Sound wise, I guess it really depends on its built (Can't comment much cause I have not tried them... Will try them soon though). You could try the PA2v2 too... Sells on ebay. Sometimes for as low as $40. Once again can't comment on the sound. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back