A quality turntable
Dec 7, 2015 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

rdb1

Head-Fier
I am in the process of looking for a vinyl turntable. I did used the have some Technic 1210 but sold them a few years ago ( wish I hadn't now) So I am on the lookout for something that will last. I have seen a Linn turntable but I am not sure what they are like.

So does anyone have any recommendations please?

Dec 7, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 20
1 How much experienced are you with vinyl records and Turntable based systems?
2 Can you give some more info about those 1210? Why did you sold ?
3 Just noticed your question about Linn . So , forget my question no.1 and tell us what budget do you have in mind?
4 What is the rest of your system composed of?
5 Do you want new or preowned ?
Regards,

Dec 7, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 20
  1 How much experienced are you with vinyl records and Turntable based systems?
2 Can you give some more info about those 1210? Why did you sold ?
3 Just noticed your question about Linn . So , forget my question no.1 and tell us what budget do you have in mind?
4 What is the rest of your system composed of?
5 Do you want new or preowned ?
Regards,

Ive got experience with Vinyl records and turntables. I sold my 1210 as I used to DJ a long time ago, so I recently decided to sell them to gain more space. I dont really have a budget, I would just like something that would last. My system was given to me which is a Kenwood 3020SE Amp and some Gale Model4 speakers. Which I am going to sell and upgrade to a new amp and some speakers when I have the cash.

I would not mind preowned or new. 

Dec 7, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #4 of 20
If you don't mind full manual , you could go on the Rega path , but also on the Technics SL 1200 series wich you are habituated with. Clearaudio comes to mind too or the new series Thorens ,that are said to be really good ,also.
If you prefere suspended chassis style, Linn or Thorens ( the classic vintage models)
For fully automatic you you have to go for one of the great vintage models from Technics (SL 1600) Denon, JVC,Sony, Pioneer....
Best value in my opinion , Technics SL 1500 Mk1 
You'll need also a good cartridge amp...

Dec 7, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #5 of 20
U-Turn makes new turntables that are very well regarded among audiophiles. The orbit is under $200, even.
IF going used, i'd check craigslist and see what there is for options.

Dec 7, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 20
  If you don't mind full manual , you could go on the Rega path , but also on the Technics SL 1200 series wich you are habituated with. Clearaudio comes to mind too or the new series Thorens ,that are said to be really good ,also.
If you prefere suspended chassis style, Linn or Thorens ( the classic vintage models)
For fully automatic you you have to go for one of the great vintage models from Technics (SL 1600) Denon, JVC,Sony, Pioneer....
Best value in my opinion , Technics SL 1500 Mk1 
You'll need also a good cartridge amp...

Thanks for that the Clear Audio look superb, I am sure being German they are quality. I can only find a used on on http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clearaudio-Emotion-SE-Turntable-Package-/262164923828?hash=item3d0a3f45b4:g:7b4AAOSwv-NWWYG9

I may consider a Technic if I can get one for the right price. The Rega dont look too bad, But I am torn between either a Technic, Linn or a Clear Audio. Ive decided to allow a budget of £500.

Dec 9, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #14 of 20
I like the look of the project ones. How do they compare to a Rega, Linn or Technic 1210 mk2

They should be equal to Rega and some Linn's and (potentially) better than an unmodded Technics. Honestly all those brands are very good.

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #15 of 20
It's gonna depend in which model your looking at. For example, the projext debut, I feel like your mostly paying for the cartridge. The plinth and t one arm and everything else is junk.

Same could be said for a bone stock LP12, though the great thing about those is you can upgrade then basically forever and take it to any tier you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back