A proper rig for my Ultimate Ears Super fi 5 pro
Apr 9, 2006 at 6:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

granodemostasa

Headphoneus Supremus
well, i know that my ipod-mini hasn't been giving me the best that my headphones can produce; so far i havn't cared much since I usually walk when listening to that rig, but recently i've started to want more out of my walking music.... Now, i don't know what's over kill, what's not going far enough and what is just right for this...And i know that ultimately this is a question that maybe only i can answer, yet i could use some help. at 320kbps, line out to Ultimate Ears I'm wondering if i would notice the change on the ipod, considering these cans, if i made it all lossless.... and what amp is appropriate for this purpose ( since this thing is 11ohms so it's not hard to drive, i just want a clean line out).
and other question: would my money be better spent on a better ipod or amp?
thanks everyone.

Apr 9, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #2 of 9
bump! please

Apr 10, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #3 of 9
I have a new 5G and the S.F 5 Pros and the 5G headphone amp is very clean. I have most of the other versions of IPODS and they are not even close. If you have not heard your material on a new 5G you need to. Your UE's are excellent IEM's.

I have tried every combination of lossy and lossless and at about 256k (acc or mp3 etc) I lose the definition difference so have settled for 256k / MP3 as my standard for source material. I have recording engineering ears.. as that is my background, years of rock and roll Im sure have taken some of the detail off, so this works well for my taste at this stage of my life.

Apr 10, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #4 of 9
actually, quite the opposite. i havn't plugged in my ipod into my computer (just charger) since i erased all my music and turned it into lossless...so going down in compression isn't an option actually...but i'll look into the 5G. thanks.

Apr 10, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #5 of 9
I use my SF Pro 5's unamped as I think they sound great direct from my 4g iPod or Sony Radio. I've tried them with cMoy / Corda HA-1 MKII and I didn't think it made much difference.

Apr 10, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 9
The UE super.fi Pro is for fun and casual listening, don't botter buying an amp or anything for it, it's simply not worth it. If you want to truely music in lossless and take advantage of it, go for the UE10s or full size cans. The super.fi 5 is colored, I would just use an Ipod and the UE super.fi 5 pro, anything else is over doing it. How do i know? I have it, I used it with an amp, I used it with line out, I used it with exspensive cables. It's the same. I'm not just talking out of my @$$, it's personal experience =)

Apr 11, 2006 at 11:38 AM Post #8 of 9
I have the superfi's and a 5G ipod I also have an Evilfire Cmoy.

I have tested the amp through tthe line out and headphone jack and there is a slight tighhtening of the bass but not a huge jump in SQ IMHO

Love the superfi's
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back