1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

A portable amp for my AKG 518 headphones

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by retskrad, Oct 28, 2013.
Tags:
  1. retskrad
    Hi,

I recently bought a Nexus 4, the sound quality is not very good and the volume is low. I did some research and people recommended FiiO E5 and E6. I got the impression that E5 has better bass and the E6 to have better overral sound quality. And my question is: do these headphones make the sound quality better and do they work wonders with my AKG 518 headphones?

cheers

2. PurpleAngel Contributor
    I would say to spend a little more and get the FiiO E11, $65
    Or a least get the E6, should be better then the E5.

Or invest in headphones with a lower impedance (Ohm), easier for the Nexas 4 to drive.
    JVC HA-S500 ($60) or HA-S400 ($32).

3. retskrad
    Thanks for your reply. Actually I just ordered the E11. Is it any better than the E7? Loudness isn't a problem, but sound quality is with my Nexus 4.

4. PurpleAngel Contributor

The FiiO E11 comes with a more powerful amplifier then the E7.
    But I would guess they would be about equal for audio quality for amplifing the AKG 518.

5. andyj34
    This Christmas I'd treated myself in buying the AKG 518 headphones as my local audio retailer (RicherSounds) were selling them at a 40% discount.

I have them hooked up to an IPOD classic 160GB with the FiiO E5 portable amplifier listening to R&B, Jazz, Rock with a dash of Hip-Hop and Classical depending on mood.

Firstly using the AKG 518 with the FiiO E5, my first observation is at that, the sometimes woolly bass is tighten-up whilst having the same kick.

That said the AKG 518 doesn't particularly scale well with the Fiio 5 portable amp i.e. other than the bass being a bit tighter, I can discern no other audible improvements unlike with my other-to-go headphones being the Philips Downtown over-ear, which when used with the E5 offer a big improvement in sound dynamics as well as volume.