A poor man's HD800
Jun 17, 2016 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

pearljam50000

1000+ Head-Fier
The only headphone i really liked is the HD800, i no longer have it.
I'm wondering is there a "poor man's" version of it in headphones that cost  much less,
looking for neutral detailed sound, good instrument separation, generally flat headphone, i guess the DT880 will be the most recommended model, but is it close enough to the HD800 SQ wise, or very very far?
Thanks!

Jun 17, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #5 of 12
Here's the thing, there are a few cheaper headphones that make things similar to the HD800 but not all at the same time, that's your trade off here. You'll have to pick those things you're willing to trade.

DT880 is closest to the Sennheiser HD800 in terms of sound signature, very close indeed.
You'll get most of the air, treble extension and quality, slightly recessed upper midrange, neutralish extended bass, and so on.
This is the poor mans HD800 in my book.
Soundstage and clarity in the midrange and bass are the main trade offs. It's not that the DT880 is bad, but it's not very close to the HD800 in those particular regards. If you are a soundstage-head then you might look elsewhere.

AKG K702 will provide a similar experience in terms of soundstage size, HD800 projects bigger objects and thus it's a bit more intimate, but both K702 and HD800 are top picks for soundstage and imaging despite the slight difference in presentation. Other strong point for the K702 is the bass and midrange clarity, it surpasses the DT880 in this regard and it's not far from HD800. The AKG is very precise across the board, but it's not as extended as DT880 or HD800 in the treble region and thus it lacks some air when compared side by side. That and the slight bump in the upper midrange make the AKG sound markedly different than the HD800 in terms of overall balance.

HD600s render vocals very well and it reminds the HD800 in that regard despite having a very different sound signature (mid-bassy, forward upper mids and soft treble). You can pick each an every word in a more clear way than both DT880 and K702. Other than that HD600 is a totally different headphone, softer, not analytic, very small soundstage and so on. Wait, HD600 smells similar to the HD800.

Hope this helps!

Jun 19, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #10 of 12
I have seen a few people selling their HD800 in favor of the HD650. I would think you would have to upgrade the HD650 with a Cardas cable and get a really good DAC/Amp, like the Bifrost Multi-Bit and Lyr 2, but even pricey purchases like that would still be cheap when compared to the HD800 and the DACs and Amps it needs to make it sound as intended.

Jun 19, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #11 of 12
  I am surprised nobody mentioned the HD700's.

The thing with HD700 is that it happens to be a really love or hate headphone.
It's also significantly thicker than HD800 and its treble has sort of a splashy quality that might not suit everyone.

All in all HD700 is a nice headphone, full of strenghts. Warm, detailed, clean and relatively easy on the ears. Also very open soundstage.
But I still find it hard to recommend here because it's not that cheap and it's not that close to HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back