A plea from a moderator for help policing our community
May 22, 2005 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
I've just spent the better part of a half an hour cleaning up the following thread:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...2&page=1&pp=20

Some of you will not be familiar with this thread. Others will hardly recognize it, as it's been changed pretty dramatically.

This thread seems to have had a LOT of things that we see reported around here - thread crapping, discussion of politics, personal attacks, and so on. Apparently this has been going on for days now. Yet NOBODY reported it to the moderators. Why?

This thread, prior to clean up, was THE poster child for moderator action due to nuisance posting. Yet the only reason I ended up finding it was by accident. As much as we moderators would like to be everywhere all the time, that's not the case. We could do our jobs regarding this sort of thing if we were informed about when it was occuring.

At any rate, I've just spend the better part of 30 minutes deleting posts, because I happen to think that this thread is worthwhile...or at least it has a chance to be again.

To all of you who have ever been trying to have a productive discussion of an interesting topic, only to have it disrupted by thread crapping, discussion of contentious issues, or personal attacks: please consider how the involvement of a moderator early on could have ended this nonsense much earlier. Please remember this the next time something like this crops up. Get a moderator involved - report the offending posts. It will do nothing but help this community remain a pleasant and enjoyable place to be.

Thanks...

May 22, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 23
How many people write a reply to thread then not post it because it doesn’t contribute to the discussion?

I probably write and trash more responses than I actually post.

Thanks Moderators for doing a Great and often unappreciated job.

Mitch

May 23, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
How many people write a reply to thread then not post it because it doesn’t contribute to the discussion?

I do that sometimes. (probably should do it more often) I think its a good response at first... but then it just comes out wrong and I just hit the back button.

Quote:

Thanks Moderators for doing a Great and often unappreciated job.

What he said
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2005 at 1:12 AM Post #5 of 23
This sounds like another mandate to me! I'll be sure to report everything that I find that's even slightly offensive, many many times... Especially to Rick, because lord knows the old buzzard is probably lonely and just wants somebody, anybody, to talk to him.

I sometimes take it for granted that other people report the posts to the moderators. It would be nice though, as bg4533 stated, that if there was a "report this post to a moderator" button.

May 23, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #6 of 23
I haven't looked at that thread in several days. I didn't know it had gone bad.

There is a report bad post button on each post. That little triangle with the ! in it down by the online/offline button right below the member's name, location area.

May 23, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #9 of 23
Elrod-Tom:

Since I am the one who created that thread, I want to let it be known that there was a similiar thread on the same Wired news story in Head-Fi: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ghlight=carbon . I apologize for not using the search button before I posted my own version of that similiar thread. Please understand that it was not my intention to create "THE...poster child...of nuisance posting" thread. Furthermore, I could not anticipate the questionable responses that my thread elicited especially from rodentmacbeastie. I did think about reporting his or her comments to a moderator or to Jude himself, but I was simply puzzled by the comments made and I shrugged it off. Again, I am sorry for the hard work and the time you spent to clean up my thread when it could have been better spent listening to music or tending to your family on a Sunday night. I find it curious that the similiar thread posted by dhwilkin did not elicit similiar responses; perhaps it is just my bad luck. I will resolve myself to police my own threads to save moderators and administrators the unsavory job of cleaning up threads in the future. Thank you.

May 23, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Welly Wu said...

I find it curious that the similiar thread posted by dhwilkin did not elicit similiar responses; perhaps it is just my bad luck.

I do try to have my lucky four-leaf clover around at all times.
biggrin.gif

Seriously, if you want a possible reason other than bad luck, it might be because your thread title implied a negative political judgement of some sort by mentioning US nationality and use of public funds (at least the way I read it, which incidentally is why I never read your version of my thread, just had the feeling it was going to get some bad reaction to it). This might be interpreted as an open invitation to start bashing said nation, instead of discussing pros/cons of the technology. Just from glancing over the cleaned-up version, I see my instinct was correct. So, I think it was part bad luck and part unfortunate word choice.

Far as not reporting it, well I never read it until now or I would've reported it.

May 23, 2005 at 8:57 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire
/me smacks head.

Well... I'm still going to PM Rick incessently.

Oh man, don't make me responsible for that!!
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2005 at 9:01 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
Elrod-Tom:

Since I am the one who created that thread, I want to let it be known that there was a similiar thread on the same Wired news story in Head-Fi: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ghlight=carbon . I apologize for not using the search button before I posted my own version of that similiar thread. Please understand that it was not my intention to create "THE...poster child...of nuisance posting" thread. Furthermore, I could not anticipate the questionable responses that my thread elicited especially from rodentmacbeastie. I did think about reporting his or her comments to a moderator or to Jude himself, but I was simply puzzled by the comments made and I shrugged it off. Again, I am sorry for the hard work and the time you spent to clean up my thread when it could have been better spent listening to music or tending to your family on a Sunday night. I find it curious that the similiar thread posted by dhwilkin did not elicit similiar responses; perhaps it is just my bad luck. I will resolve myself to police my own threads to save moderators and administrators the unsavory job of cleaning up threads in the future. Thank you.

My issue isn't with you...it was with one particular poster who was thread crapping, making contentious political arguments, and making personal attacks. While I think that the title of the thread was, perhaps, poorly chosen, that's not the issue here. The issue is, largely, one poster's behavior...and why it wasn't reported.

All I'm saying is that the moderators typically deal with stuff like this...if they are aware of it. Please make us aware of it by using the "Report Post" button. Things will run more smoothly for it, as we can't be everywhere and see every post...no matter how badly we would like to.

May 23, 2005 at 9:03 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicJunkie
Just a guess, but maybe because it didn't bother anybody?

MJ

Judging from many of the responses to the offending posts, your guess would be wrong. Most of them are gone too, so it would probably be hard for you to make an educated guess about that. IMHO, however, plenty of folks were bothered by it sufficiently that I would have expected to hear something about it.

May 23, 2005 at 10:35 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
Judging from many of the responses to the offending posts, your guess would be wrong. Most of them are gone too, so it would probably be hard for you to make an educated guess about that. IMHO, however, plenty of folks were bothered by it sufficiently that I would have expected to hear something about it.

Perhaps people are enjoying being bothered with such threads, sometimes
it is just plain fun to feel a sense of indignant outrage well up and the
compulsion to riposte with an equally inflammatory post.

Though the quality of 'debate' does depend on a number of factors, a recently
deleted thread was removed in the most part because of of the actions of a
single individual effectively crashing a thread of the rails.
Such willful vandalism does get up my nose.
mad.gif

The lot of a moderator is not an easy one, dammed if you do dammed if you don't.....

Setmenu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back