A Novice's view of Pana SL-CT570
Apr 10, 2002 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Mr.PD

Lives to Take It Outside.
I finally did it. I ordered the Panasonic CT570. I figured that I would not be able to hear any difference between it and my Sony D-MJ95. Or, at best I might be able to get a hint of a difference.
Well, I'm shocked! The difference between these two players is most significant. Kinda like an mp3 at 160 bit rate versus the original cd. The 570 has more range, is more lively and fuller sounding. I don't know how to describe it. I should mention that I am using a Total Airhead with Beyer DT250-80 phones. Rhiannon by Fleetwood Mac and Lawyers In Love by Jackson Browne are the songs that showed the most improvement with the CT570, a little less bass, the vocals are up front where they should be with a general feeling of airyness to the music. The Sony has a nice bass, but it's a little too much up front and the whole sound seemed flat compared to the Pana.

Apr 10, 2002 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 14
I also, am new to this HP thing, and based on several recommendations and reviews on this forum, I bought the CT570 as well.

I had previously been using a Pana 360 so have always preferred what to my ears is a warmer sound than any of the Sonys I had owned.

The CT570s are probably the best PCDP for the price for all the reasons you listed as well as good enough power from the HP jack not to need amplification for portable use in the gym with my KSC35's. It really shines, however, at home with an amp and Senn 580's.

I recently bought a iRIVER SlimX for many of the features it offers (too many to go into here, but primarily for the ability to program A-B repeats for music studying) as well as the terrific remote, but the sound of the CT570 blows it away in all respects.

Apr 10, 2002 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 14
I have the SlimX and the Panasonic 570 and I have to say that I generally prefer the SlimX. In al honesty the 570 is a more accurate player but the differences to be are fairly subtle and I'm using Etymotics 4P's with them both.

The combination of SlimX, Airhead and the 4P's (with the 4S cable) is unbeatable - wonderful clear, flat, detailed and unfatiguing sound. The headphone out also has some reasonable power to it - far more than the 570 has in my opinion.

Apr 11, 2002 at 12:02 AM Post #4 of 14
Do you guys use the line out? I'm hoping someone can compare the high end sony line outs to the 570 and 780 line outs...
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie

Apr 11, 2002 at 12:05 AM Post #5 of 14
Peddler,

I find my 570 to be generally "warmer" than the SlimX, although that's very subjective. Further, the difference could be that I'm listening to mine through a Port Corda and Senn 580's. The Ety 4P/S could be the difference. I'm in the market for either the 4P or the ER6 and should decide on which in a few days and will make the comparison myself.

Gotta' say that I like the feature set on the SlimX, especially the remote. Really trick!

What kindo f battery life are you getting? Mine so far seems to be about 5 or 6 hours and I thought it should be more. I might have to "condition" the batteries and put a full charge on them.

Apr 11, 2002 at 1:19 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Do you guys use the line out? I'm hoping someone can compare the high end sony line outs to the 570 and 780 line outs

YES I am using the line out.
I don't know about the high end Sony but the MJ95 has more power in line out than the Panasonic. I haven't compared the headphone jack yet.

Apr 11, 2002 at 2:24 AM Post #7 of 14
The best way to describe pana570 is - sucks the least out of all the pcdps. They do have a warm coloration.

So this is where all the 570s went from onecall.com, not to worry, can still be had from half.com
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2002 at 2:57 AM Post #8 of 14
Half.com is down one as well. I ordered a 570 last week. Now I sit waiting hoping everything comes by the weekend. I need something to cheer me up before I do the taxes.

John B

Apr 11, 2002 at 3:14 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

I ordered a 570 last week. Now I sit waiting hoping everything comes by the weekend.

I ordered mine from OneCall last Saturday night. It was here Tuesday.

Hey Audio&Me;
How can I tell if it has a "warm coloration" if I'm using "dark" headphones? I have nothing better to compare it with.

Maybe some Grado 325's will cool it down......

Apr 12, 2002 at 6:53 PM Post #13 of 14
I no longer have a 570 to compare it to, but the Sony EJ1000 is the best PCDP I've encountered. I've tried the headphone out with both W2002s and ER-4Ps with good results. Its line out is about as good as it gets in PCDPs and sounds especially fine with a JMT CHA-47.

It's so small that it actually fits inside a CaseLogic 50-CD case with ample room for the external battery stick, remote and my ER-4Ps. And there's still room left over for 44 sleeve-encased CDs. This makes for an amazingly compact portable rig. Play time is rated at 115 hours with its battery stick (two AAs).

It's considerably more expensive than the CT-570, but it's well worth the added cost in my view. It's available as a "Buy It Now" item on eBay for $165.

Apr 12, 2002 at 7:43 PM Post #14 of 14
Spad, thankyou for answering my question. I use a cha-47 as well so its good to know they make a good combination. I'll begin my search for the ej1000 pcdp n Canada soon. :p

Biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back