1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

A noob needs some help and suggestions for soundcards to supplement my HD598's

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by mattslaughing, Jun 1, 2014.
  1. mattslaughing
    Hello, I'm new here, this is my first post, and I know barely anything about soundcards and computer audio. I've had pretty cruddy headphones for a while, never really bothered getting any good audio equipment. So I've had pretty average audio equipment for the entire time I've been using my PC's. Now I want higher grade sound quality that will be good for gaming and my music(mostly trance). I was getting sick of it and thought it was about time to get some good headphones and etc, so I got some HD598's, seemed like a safe bet for gaming and music from my research, but I did hear the bass was slightly weak. I ordered them not long ago, and they are on their way now. About time I treated myself to some good audio. I also considered the GT990, ad700 and the x1, along with a few others.

Now, I've heard that sound cards provide better surround sound, so I'm considering buying some. But first I have a few questions. Will a sound card make much of a difference? If so, what difference does it make to the sound? Will the HD598's have untapped potential without a soundcard? And if the soundcard is important enough, what soundcard could you recommend for these headphones? Keep in mind, I don't want to break the bank, so a soundcard with the most bang for your buck would be the best. I've also heard about amps, but I wouldn't have a clue if that is needed either.

Thanks in advance for helping out a noob.

2. PurpleAngel Contributor
    Sound Blaster Z sound card, $85