A noob needing advice for studio
Jun 30, 2010 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Furieux

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

i'm slowly building a studio for music production. I already have the comp, the midi controller and the soundcard.

The only thing missing is the Headphones...

I'm producing electronic music (house, trance... etc). I would need some advice for headphone that would suit my needs.

I need studio headphone open or close. I was looking for Seinnheiser, AKG or Beyerdynamic, but i am open to suggestions.

I have around 100-150$ to invest into the headphones.

Thanks for your help !

Jun 30, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 18
Hmm. If you really want to do music you may want to really get some good ones, maybe for 300 vs half doing it. You get crappy speakers/headphones, and you will never know what's in your mix. My friend use Dr Beats, which amazingly enough get pretty
good reviews on headroom. I notice you have not mentioned the really awesome power conditioner you are absolutely going to require, got to figure at least 150 for that or else deal with the consequences sooner rather than later. Also, are you planning on recording straight to the comp? Not a good plan, need a reasonable hard drive, I recommend something by Glyph.

Jun 30, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 18
I'm using M-Audio Fast track pro as my amp.

As for recording, i'm using ableton live. The fast track pro will do the job if i want to record voice or guitar.

EDIT : I don't need anything from glyph. With Ableton live, you don't need to have a external hdd of this type..

Jun 30, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 18
$100-150 is a fine budget, and there's plenty of good closed cans you can get in this price range, used and new.  Look into Beyerdynamic and Audio Technica.  Eventually you're gonna need speakers, so you don't really need to spend more than that on headphones.  I'd stick with closed headphones.

Jun 30, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #6 of 18
I don't produce music, but Acix does. I'm reasonably sure he's posted about it before and I don't necessarily want to volunteer him, but he's a nice guy and you might want to PM him.

Jun 30, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #7 of 18
You may be using Abby live but if you are recording to a comp hard drive now look eagerly to when you are not. Trusting a stock hd (notoriously mid or low grade) to record your sonic gold reliably and then do all the other things required of it is not the smartest way, cheap though it may be. Get a good dedicated external at some point. Have you ever talked to the good folks at Sweetwater? I recommend them because unlike many, many other, "online" dealers, they are also one of the largest brick and mortar stores with a top flight studio or three on the premises. Whatever your budget, wherever you are at, they are a good place to start, even if you don't buy anything. I've used them as solid reference for years.

Jun 30, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #8 of 18
Hey guys ! I really appreciate your help.

Mckinetic i will look at sweetwater.

I'm still unsure about what i'll buy, but now i have something to start from !

Jun 30, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #9 of 18
Armin Van Burren is famous for being a headphone producer, he became famous recording and producing, mixing and engineering his own work with headphones.  And last I read, he says he still does his work with headphones.  His current choice seems to be AKG K701.

But if you want closed, at your budget, it's inevitable you will be recommended the Audio Technica M50.  You can get a great price from Musician's Friend with free shipping.

Jun 30, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #10 of 18
KBI might chime in on this, and I have no personal experience with it, but I have read the Beyer DT48a might be a headphone to look at. They can be had used, on eBay, for around $150. Good luck.

Jun 30, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #13 of 18
The DT150/250 would be excellent for that kind of work, and quite durable.  Both of them are easy to drive.

If your amp has enough juice for them, the Fostex T50 is also a very balanced but musical headphone that punches well above its weight in audio quality, especially for neutral playback.  My guess is that your sound card alone would not be able to feed these enough power.

For such bass-heavy work, I wouldn't recommend the DT48--you will probably end up mixing the highs and lows too heavily since they are light on the far ends (from what I've read).

The Shure 840s are also both bassy and balanced, and would fit nicely into your price range.

Jun 30, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
what about the sony MDR V700DJ ???

any advices on these ? :)

I haven't heard them specifically, but on a whole I wouldn't recommend DJ cans for mixing.  They are designed for two completely different purposes:

Studio headphones: reproduce an accurate representation of the mix so that it will sound right on a wide range of systems.

DJ headphones: kick out enough bass and treble that you can hear your mix in a ridiculously noisy club.

Jul 1, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #15 of 18
wow guys i wasn't expecting such help.

The beyerdynamic are a little bit expensive for my budget.

I'm leaning toward the ATH-M50

They look great and are really afordable. under 130$ us shipped on ebay !

Anyone has studio headphone for sell ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back