A non-sense probably - From Sennheiser 558 HD to 598 HD
Mar 22, 2013 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

daniel0407

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I wanted to improve a little what I have with my current headphones, the Sennheiser 558 HD, and have just order the next model, the 598 HD.

Does it make any sense? They arrive tomorrow, so I think the first impressions are not going to be definitive, and a little burn-in will be required until I appreciate any improvement.

I tried the 650 HD in a store and I did not like them. I though of making the foam mod to the 558, but it looks like this modification does not improve the headphones to the 598's level (according to many posts in the forum).

Since I am a little impatience until tomorrow and until the burn in has taken place, could anybody here that have tested both, tell me anything about their differences?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

Mar 22, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 18
Hi Daniel,

I think you'd be very pleased with the HD598's.  I too, use to own the HD558 and performed the foam removal mod in hoping that it would sound as good as the HD598.  It so happens that my cousin owned a pair of HD598's, and after doing some A/B comparrison, I have to agree with what others have said in that the HD598s were still clearly better sounding.  It's hard to really point out the exact differences, but the HD598's felt a lot more lush and smoother and just overall much more enjoyable.  To date, I still think the HD598's are the best overall sounding open headphones I've used to date (previously owned PX100, portapros, HD238, HD485, Grado 60is, AD700s, HD558, HD580)

Mar 22, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 18
You can only spend your money once dude, and I think you should think twice before you spend more than 200 bucks on a questionable upgrade. I mean, there may be a difference between the two of them and it might be a good reason to prefer the 598, but if you already own the 558, you might ask yourself if that money isn't better spent elsewhere.
So you don't like the 650. Maybe try the 600? To many people, definitely including me, it's superior to the 598. Imagine the improvement you might get coming from the 558.

Or maybe look into some Beyer Dynamics. At the point of upgrading from a 558, the money is probably best spent or saved after you have decided whether you really want to commit to good headphones. If you do, you shouldn't decide to get the 598 imo.

Mar 22, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #5 of 18
Hi,

Thanks you all for your responses.

One question, I am not sure, but from what I have read, both headphones have different frenquency responses. I do not imply that a wider frequency response means better sound, but since they share the same drivers, why they cover different frequencies?

Best Regards,

Daniel

Mar 22, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 18
The foam mod on the hd558 doesn't work , because Sennheiser learned the lesson with the hd555, and don't want people to buy the hd558 instead of hd598 in order to save money.
From what I've understood the opening grill in the hd558 is not the same as the hd598, which warranty that even after the foam mod you won't get same sound. I guess with smaller hole, more resonance occurs,and hence the foam is more useful  (which explain, why people prefer to revert it back).
Try a headphone from a different brand if you are looking for something significantly different, the "sennheiser sound" might not be your cup of tea.

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:
The foam mod on the hd558 doesn't work , because Sennheiser learned the lesson with the hd555, and don't want people to buy the hd558 instead of hd598 in order to save money.
From what I've understood the opening grill in the hd558 is not the same as the hd598, which warranty that even after the foam mod you won't get same sound. I guess with smaller hole, more resonance occurs,and hence the foam is more useful  (which explain, why people prefer to revert it back).
Try a headphone from a different brand if you are looking for something significantly different, the "sennheiser sound" might not be your cup of tea.

Sure it does. I'm listening to the HD modified 558's right now and they sound the same as the modified HD 555's. The case just isn't that significant with open headphones. . . that's kind of the point of them.

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 18
I would suggest investigating other sound signatures like AKG, Beyerdynamic, Shure, Grado, etc.... before spending another $200 on what is probably an insignificant upgrade.

In fact, a lot of people prefer to have different cans for different genres of music.

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #9 of 18
In  my opinion it's a worthwhile upgrade.  The HD598s sound better, have nicer foam earcups, and in my opinion look great.

The drivers are only one component of the sound of a headphone.  The design and damping can have an equal effect.  It's true that by making two levels of headphones with the same driver, Sennheiser (and most other manufacturers) are making a larger profit on the higher end pairs.  But if the net effect is a better headphone, then the price is worth it, in my opinion at least.

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #10 of 18
Hi Daniel,

I think you'd be very pleased with the HD598's.  I too, use to own the HD558 and performed the foam removal mod in hoping that it would sound as good as the HD598.  It so happens that my cousin owned a pair of HD598's, and after doing some A/B comparrison, I have to agree with what others have said in that the HD598s were still clearly better sounding.  It's hard to really point out the exact differences, but the HD598's felt a lot more lush and smoother and just overall much more enjoyable.  To date, I still think the HD598's are the best overall sounding open headphones I've used to date (previously owned PX100, portapros, HD238, HD485, Grado 60is, AD700s, HD558, HD580)

Hi, do you prefer the 598 more than the 580?

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks you all for your responses.

One question, I am not sure, but from what I have read, both headphones have different frenquency responses. I do not imply that a wider frequency response means better sound, but since they share the same drivers, why they cover different frequencies?

Best Regards,

Daniel

The rest of the headphones' cup designs are different enough to cause them to sound and measure differently despite sharing the same drivers.

Try HD600, Or perhaps something from Shure, Denon or Ultrasone may end up being more to your liking.

Mar 23, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #13 of 18
Thanks again for your responses,

I am just waiting them to arraive. The Amazon Morning Express Delivery should come in few minutes/hours. Let`s hear the differences out of the box, if any.

Daniel

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:
Hi, do you prefer the 598 more than the 580?

I actually do prefer the 598's to the 580's.  Then again, it could also just be my preference in sound signature.  From what I read on these forums, the 598's are some of the most laidback cans that Sennheiser as ever put out.  I found them to be much more lush and enjoyable vs the HD580s which at times sounded a bit harsh to my ears.  Maybe someone more experienced here can chime in on this, but this is just my humble opinion.

I mainly listen to hiphop and RnB.  I have heard that the weakness of the 598's are that they can be a bit slow and not keepup with some faster genres, maybe this is where the 580's shine.

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #15 of 18
Hi,

Just got the headphones. I must say they sound almost identical with many songs, but not with all.

Aerosmith Pink: Identical

Some pop track from Itunes with small compression problems: identical.

Alton Ellis Ain't that Loving You: I like it better on the 598, but I cannot say exactly why (it is an old record).

Portishead Undenied: Vocals sound better on the 598, although the difference is subtle.

Led Zeppelin I Can't Quit you Babe: Only track until now where I notice a real improvement in the sound between both headphones. The 558 has like distortions on the vocals that are not present in the 598; also guitars sound smooth and with more detail.

Robbie Williams Rock DJ: 558 sound better to me; probably the burn-in that they have (over 100 hours pink noise / loud music).

Rammstein Alter Mann: Both headphones su..ks. My 10 Euro Hamma headphones for skype sound better with this song (I do not listen to this genre that much anyway).

The Killers Bones: I prefer how the 598 sounds with this.

The Beatles Norwegian Wood: Noticiable better on the 558 (burn in??)

The Beatles You've got to hide your love away: Noticiable better on the 598 (better vocals)

Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back