A "Non-Audiophile" Review Of The Monster Turbine Pro Coppers
Jun 19, 2010 at 7:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Big Kev

500+ Head-Fier
[size=8pt]Well I have now received my free set of Monster Turbine Pro Copper’s, many thanks to SoundMatters12 and Monster, I feel very, very lucky indeed. This review is totally unbiased, I’ve not been asked to be complimentary in anyway whatsoever, but post my review on Head.fi, Amazon.com and Monstercable.com, so these are my comments and if you disagree, feel free to post, but in the end, it’s each to their own.[/size]

[size=8pt]Now it’s time for a review from a non-audiophile, although I am trying to learn everything that I need to know, to express myself to more knowledgeable people, it will prove rather basic to some and for that, I apologise.  I didn’t state that I was William Shakespeare and my descriptive skills are far, far from the best, but I know what I like and know what I don’t like, so I will describe things as I hear them.  This is the first time I’ve ever tried to write a review like this and I am very anxious as to how it will be received on a forum like this, when compared to numerous, far superior efforts from the many experts on here.[/size]

[size=8pt]I will not be able to post any pictures, as my feeble camera phone won’t do these phones any justice, but there are other reviews/articles out there, which show you exactly what you really need to see.  [/size]

[size=8pt]My Recent IEM’s[/size]

[size=8pt]For the last year, I’ve been mostly using my Westone 3’s, IE8’s (for a couple of weeks) and Earsonics SM3’s for the last three weeks or so and as a consequence, I do feel that I am no longer a bass-monster, but prefer the more neutral sound.  This may cloud my findings, but I can only compare them to the phones that I’ve recently used.[/size]

[size=8pt]Packaging and accessories[/size]

[size=8pt]They come packaged with a very sturdy box, so no danger of any damage during transit, encased in a very well designed outer sleeve and upon opening the box, you notice the great look of the phones, much better looking than any other IEM that I have owned, not that I would ever judge phones on look.  I may be a non-audiophile, but I am a bloke!![/size]

[size=8pt]In the box are a plethora of tips, including a rarity for me, some that actually fit my huge ear canals and so many that everyone will find some that fit them perfectly.  I really like the supertips myself, which fit me perfectly, with superb isolation.  The silicon tips are the bog standard type that come with a lot of phones nowadays.[/size]

[size=8pt]Also in the box are two pouches, one a snap shut version, which is great for me and the other looks like a woman’s purse, but also serves its purpose very well.  There is also a plug adapter, shirt clip and the normal documentation. The rubber tip holder could be pretty useful, although I didn’t find them that good with the large tips that I ended up using.[/size]

[size=8pt]Cable Management System[/size]

[size=8pt]I found the Velcro strips to do the job fairly well, although I don’t personally see the need for this, as I prefer to wind them round my finger and keep them in the pouch.[/size]

[size=8pt]Build quality[/size]

[size=8pt]The phones themselves are metallic and very well made, much more durable looking than any others that I’ve owned.  The cable is a bit thicker than others I’ve had, but looks very sturdy and I have no trouble wearing them over the ear or straight down which is also a rarity, with my oversized head.   I haven’t experienced any microphonics at all, maybe I’ve been lucky, as others seem to have had problems in this area. The cable adjuster does the job very well, in fact, better than most I’ve encountered.  I don’t normally wear a shirt clip, but I did try it and it seemed to do the job pretty well.[/size]

[size=8pt]My Set Up[/size]

[size=8pt]In the leaflet, it suggests 20 hours of burn in, but I opted for just over 50 before using them, so now for a my view on the sound coming from these phones, when paired with my Sony X1060, with either 160 wma’s or 320 mp3’s.  I was going to try the phones with my Sansa Clip, but it’s been playing up lately I’m afraid. [/size]

[size=8pt]These are a warm sounding IEM for me, they have plenty of bass, although not as much as the Gold version, the mids seem to be to the fore and the treble is quite impressive. I have been using the grey supertips, which I found very comfortable, although it produces a rather dark sound.  The silicon tips are also worth a try as well, as they veil the sound a bit less. It’s a pity the triple flange tips don’t fit me, as I’ve heard they are an excellent option.[/size]

[size=8pt]Song Comparisons[/size]

[size=8pt]Metal[/size][size=8pt]– I listened to Megadeth (Holy Wars) and Metallica (One).  Both these sounded very good indeed, with the bass thumping through the phones and the guitars very prominent, exactly where they should be for metal.  One built up the tension nicely and when the guitars eventually kicked in, it was very impactful. Overall for metal, I got some very impressive sounds out of the Coppers and they are very well suited to gods music.[/size]

[size=8pt]Punk[/size][size=8pt]– Sex Pistols (God Save the Queen) and PIL (This is Not a Love Song).  These phones are very well suited to punk and God Save The Queen sounded quite good, although the guitars were rather laid back, this could be due to the old recording.  As for PIL, which is a softer version of punk, came across very well, with every element of the song coming alive and made a very enjoyable listening experience.[/size]

[size=8pt]Pop[/size][size=8pt]– George Michael (Outside) and Sade (Your Love Is King).  Outside sounded rather subdued to me, as did a few pop songs, coming across as too warm for this song, although the vocals were decent enough. Your Love Is King on the other hand sounded much better, with Sade’s vocals coming through very well indeed and with the general ambience of the song sounding as I’m sure she intended.[/size]

[size=8pt]Indie[/size][size=8pt]– Nirvana (Smells Like Teen Spirit).  Kurt came through loud and clear and Dave’s drums pounded around my head, as if I was sitting six feet from him, being able to feel the wave of air coming from the sticks. The overall sound was a great match and the .[/size]

[size=8pt]I do believe that they are very well suited to my main music type, rock/metal, with everything working very well with the harder sound, but with pop music, they can be rather too warm for my liking, even with a bit of EQing, but this could also have a fair bit to do with the X1060, which is a warm sounding player as a whole anyway.  I’m sure pop music would fare rather better with the more neutral sounding Clip.[/size]

[size=8pt]The Sound Signature[/size]

[size=8pt]Bass – I feel the bass is plentiful, but does veil the sound as a whole, but when required, it does produce, although it does trail behind the Golds, which really excel in this department.[/size]

[size=8pt]Mids – The mids are one of the strong points of the Coppers, they aren’t too forward or recessed but sound just right to these old ears of mine. Coping very well with everything that I threw at them.[/size]

[size=8pt]Treble – They also sound very good in the treble department, although the veiling doesn’t help the cause in a a few cases.  [/size]

[size=8pt]Comparisons[/size]

[size=8pt]In comparison to the Westone 3’s, I feel the sound of the Coppers aren’t as rounded as the Westone’s, which I think are great in every department and doesn’t produce a warm sound that the Coppers do.  The clarity of the Westone’s is a big plus point for me as well, as the veiled  Coppers sound does frustrate me sometimes, especially with pop.[/size]

[size=8pt]With regard the IE8’s, I feel this is a closely fought contest, as both sound fairly veiled to me.  The bass of the IE8’s is better, but I feel the mids and treble of the Coppers have the upper hand and as a result, I’d call this one a draw.[/size]

[size=8pt]It’s rather unfair to compare them to the SM3’s, as I am totally sold on the Earsonics sound, which has everythings for me, the bass, mids and treble are there in spades, they are very easy to drive, very comfortable and beat the Coppers on every count I’m afraid.[/size]

[size=8pt]In Conclusion[/size]

[size=8pt]One thing that I found is that they are the hardest IEM to drive that I’ve ever owned and would benefit from a decent portable amp, although the Sony did cope, only with an extra 3 steps on the volume.[/size]
[size=8pt]They are a lot cheaper than the W3’s and SM3’s in the UK and should be taken for the market they are designed and as such are a very good IEM indeed, with an unequalled accessory package, excellent cabling, superbly made, great cable management system, a lifetime warranty and a great all round sound, with plenty of bang for the buck.  [/size]

[size=8pt]These are a very good IEM for me and could possibly be the answer to many people’s prayers, if they prefer the more veiled sound that they produce.  But for me, my tastes have changed and it’s neutral all the way.[/size]

[size=8pt]In a month or so, after my old man has given them a try, I will be loaning these out to any UK/European based members, providing they pay for any postage, have a good feedback rating and obviously promise to return them to me after a month or so, or straight to another member, so that I can forward them on to anyone else who wants an audition.  I will not be sending the full package, just the phones and some tips. Might as well benefit as many members as we can and If you're interested, just drop me a PM.[/size]

Jun 19, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #3 of 7
Hey Big Kev,

Fellow Londoner eh?  Cool. Not sure if there's any more of us head-fiers out there, but it would be great if we could get together at some point to swap iem war stories....

I understand why you were a little apprehensive posting that review mate, but you done good - well written, gets the point across, with a voice of your own rather than trying to copy someone else's style.  I really enjoyed reading it, and you've piqued my interest in hearing the coppers - after my trial with the DDMs, I'm curious to sample more dynamics -  so add me to the list for trying em out please!

I'm in the same boat as you, having recently got the SM3s I feel a bit spoiled, as they do everything so well.  But its good to keep comparing I think, as it can only help your ears at the end of the day.  After all, a food critic doesn't retire when they've eaten the best meal of their life, do they?

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on those other phones you own/have owned.

Jun 19, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
Hey Big Kev,

Fellow Londoner eh?  Cool. Not sure if there's any more of us head-fiers out there, but it would be great if we could get together at some point to swap iem war stories....

I understand why you were a little apprehensive posting that review mate, but you done good - well written, gets the point across, with a voice of your own rather than trying to copy someone else's style.  I really enjoyed reading it, and you've piqued my interest in hearing the coppers - after my trial with the DDMs, I'm curious to sample more dynamics -  so add me to the list for trying em out please!

I'm in the same boat as you, having recently got the SM3s I feel a bit spoiled, as they do everything so well.  But its good to keep comparing I think, as it can only help your ears at the end of the day.  After all, a food critic doesn't retire when they've eaten the best meal of their life, do they?

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on those other phones you own/have owned.

Cheers for the positive comments chaps, I really didn't expect any.

I'll PM you as soon as my old man has finished with them and you can give them a go mate.

Over the last couple of months, I've bought some IE8's, MTPG's, CK10's and RE0's from here, still trying to find my perfect IEM and for now, at least, I have, but no doubt something will come along.

A London meet might be a decent idea at some point, as there are a few of us about.

Jun 19, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #5 of 7

Nice review BK. I have the Gold's myself and I must say kudo's to you for figuring the little velcro rings were for cable management..I just thought they were high end twist ties Monster used for packaging to look pretty. I also would use the wrap around fingers method when putting in the case. You did a very nice job comparing the different Iem's...I too share your reluctance to do reviews...I always feel I don't have the right vocabulary or am too much of a non audiophile as you mentioned.
No worries for you..ya done fine.

Jun 19, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:

Nice review BK. I have the Gold's myself and I must say kudo's to you for figuring the little velcro rings were for cable management..I just thought they were high end twist ties Monster used for packaging to look pretty. I also would use the wrap around fingers method when putting in the case. You did a very nice job comparing the different Iem's...I too share your reluctance to do reviews...I always feel I don't have the right vocabulary or am too much of a non audiophile as you mentioned.
No worries for you..ya done fine.

I only realised what the cable management was when I read rawsters review, as I too just thought they were twist ties. Cheers.

Jun 19, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #7 of 7
Don't know why you used the term "non-audiophile review". It was very much an audiophile review. Nicely done sir!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back