A new headphone article on SoundStage!
Apr 2, 2004 at 2:36 AM Post #2 of 25
The link has now been corrected and links to the current month's article and not the one dated February.

Apr 2, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #3 of 25
Doug
I liked the top ten list idea you borrowed from Dave. It was a good read,
you seem to be getting good at this
tongue.gif

Apr 2, 2004 at 3:44 AM Post #4 of 25
Thanks Tom. It sure is fun writing these things, so it's nice to hear that you enjoyed it. Now if I can only get a few articles on reviewing some gear published I'd be a lot happier.
tongue.gif

Apr 2, 2004 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 25
Doug:

This is a great article -- the most convincing case for us headphone audiophile nuts in plain English. That is a remarkable achievement. Congratulations and I look forward to reading more of your articles in the very near future.

Apr 2, 2004 at 4:30 AM Post #6 of 25
Welly,

Very kind words, and I thank you for them. I worked on this article for more than five months. I had more like 14 reasons when I started, and I knocked off the weakest ones and kept only the ones I felt cut the mustard. I finally got done with it, and I was happy when it was all done. A very rewarding column for me.

Apr 2, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #7 of 25
I hate to say it but you missed the biggest reason of all, that you can have lots and lots of different setups and still be able to live in the house!
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2004 at 4:40 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Canman
Nice one Doug! That was an entertaining read. So is that your noggin between those CD3K's?

Yup, that's my gourd stuck in between the drivers of the CD3K. Man, my head is bigger than I thought. Maybe I'm related to bangraman?
biggrin.gif

gpalmer,

yeah, I had to eliminate some items to make it stick to ten, but size came close enough as to preclude the need for multiple rigs as a reason. It's a good one BTW, I just didn't have room.

Apr 2, 2004 at 4:50 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador

yeah, I had to eliminate some items to make it stick to ten, but size came close enough as to preclude the need for multiple rigs as a reason. It's a good one BTW, I just didn't have room.

I find that one of the strongest reasons for me. It's fascinating to listen to all the different systems and hear what facets of the music each one reveals.

Apr 2, 2004 at 5:08 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
I find that one of the strongest reasons for me. It's fascinating to listen to all the different systems and hear what facets of the music each one reveals.

True. But, outside of this site, the vast majority of the people don't even own a single pair of headphones that are decent, much less are they interested in owning multiple rigs. For a place like Head-Fi, I would no doubt include this great idea of yours. But, with the audience of readers over at SoundStage!, owning one set of cans is a big enough hurdle for most readers of SoundStage!.

I think the fact that this is one of the only, if not the only dedicated headphone columns anywhere in print or on the internet says something for the folks over at SoundStage!. They took a gamble to give me this job. Headphones are not a viable alternative for most people, and as such I am to expand the audience of headphone listeners more and more by the reviews and articles on that site. I want the companies to take notice and start making more and better products at ever more competitive prices. I think that headphones take a backseat to speakers, and as such want to see them more as a compliment or alternative when speakers aren't feasable. I know, I ask a lot, but these are my goals, and I will do whatever I can to achieve them, little by little.

Apr 2, 2004 at 5:39 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
True. But, outside of this site, the vast majority of the people don't even own a single pair of headphones that are decent, much less are they interested in owning multiple rigs. For a place like Head-Fi, I would no doubt include this great idea of yours. But, with the audience of readers over at SoundStage!, owning one set of cans is a big enough hurdle for most readers of SoundStage!.

Quite true Doug, I'm not disputing it at all! And one thing I was struck by with your list was it is the perfect one to take home and show your wife when you want to spend money -> "See how good I'm being honey?"
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 2, 2004 at 6:15 AM Post #15 of 25
Paul & Pauly,

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I appreciate it and am pleased that you enjoyed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back