Jan 31, 2007 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Minovsky

New Head-Fier
Looking for a headphone around $200
currently favour Senn PXC-300
Any good suggestion?
Also my old Shure E2C
the LHS lost its voice =.="
This is my forth headphone losing one side voice...
anybody know why?
Many thanks

Jan 31, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #2 of 16
regularly used on-the-go headphones have this problem b/c the wires eventually break away from the drivers. learn to solder so u can fix them or upgrade em.

Feb 1, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #3 of 16
The Sennheiser HD580 at $125 @ Amazon is great value.

It allows you to upgrade the components (grills and cables) to improve the sound.

However, it would benefit from a good amp.

Good luck in your search.

Feb 1, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #4 of 16
to solder=.="
i got tools in my school (should be... they even have laser cutter)
i really need to find some web-site to learn it
btw do u think HD580 is better or PXC-300 is better?
or even HD595?
also do they need amp?
i never played an amp before

Feb 1, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minovsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to solder=.="
i got tools in my school (should be... they even have laser cutter)
i really need to find some web-site to learn it
btw do u think HD580 is better or PXC-300 is better?
or even HD595?
also do they need amp?
i never played an amp before

I'd say the HD580's

The Hd596's are good also

Both will need an amp to take advantage of them you don't exactly play an amp you use an amp though
biggrin.gif
and you've used an amp most likely heh

Feb 1, 2007 at 10:11 AM Post #6 of 16
well, if you are not planning to buy an amp, then go for the HD595 Because it runs really great with out an amp.

The problem is, most of the people(unfortunately, I am one of them), will be surprise by the sound quality that a good headphone bring and went into the world of headphone upgrades.
blink.gif

So, there you have it, with out amp, go with 595

but, since most of the people is going to upgrade and buy an amp after the 595, then.... 580 maybe a good choice

Feb 1, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minovsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So 580 is upgradeable and need a amp...
and they are both good.
But how about PXC-300?
it seems that HD series is a bit too big on the streets...

I just got my 580's and my iAudio X5 drives them just fine!
I was able to enjoy music no problem. I don't know what your source is, and if its strong enough. I think people are too dependant on amps.

However, if you really want to "take advantage" of the 580s and need the top top sound quality that you have to try hard to listen for, then yea get an amp i guess...
no matter how u look at it, the 580's are at such a great price and their build quality is good that they'll last u a long time so u can slowly gather upgrades in the future, such as an amp, and grills, and cables.

...this is just my opinion, im no audiophile and if you're the same, then you might as well save yourself some money and just try out the headphones first.
the 595s seem like a good choice, too. I haven't heard them, but if they work great without an amp, then it might be for u.

Feb 1, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #9 of 16
While I agree with the "595 would be better than 580 unamped" philosophy, I don't know what kind of music you listen to. In the $200 range the Grado SR225s are always worthy of consideration if you listen to certain types of music. If you going to play games or listen to music, go with the Senns, if you're just going to listen to rock music, get the Grados.

Feb 2, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #11 of 16
580 if you get a amp , 595s if you dont plan at getting a amp at all. The 580s are 300ohm and would be MUCH MUCH better sounding with at least a small CMOY or better yet a PINT/MINT/PIMETA.

I really like my 580s with my Darkvoice tube amp. I also have them woody'ed from Headphile.com. I really impressed with what you can do with these babies. You can not only change the cable, which is EXTREMELY easy, you can replace the grille. You can also change or mod the foam inside the cup itself. Some people said that using Nylons instead of the foam inside really brings out the treble, but kills the bass. I mean, the options are limitless and the 580s are a great starter can. I will prob upgrade sometime soon, but its for sure going to be either the 600-650s. Just cause i want to see how the difference in sound effects my music.

Feb 2, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbln /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sennheiser HD580 at $125 @ Amazon is great value.

It allows you to upgrade the components (grills and cables) to improve the sound.

However, it would benefit from a good amp.

Good luck in your search.

Get two of these, use one and keep the other in storage. In a few years they'll be collectors items.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 8:24 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
580 if you get a amp , 595s if you dont plan at getting a amp at all. The 580s are 300ohm and would be MUCH MUCH better sounding with at least a small CMOY or better yet a PINT/MINT/PIMETA.

I really like my 580s with my Darkvoice tube amp. I also have them woody'ed from Headphile.com. I really impressed with what you can do with these babies. You can not only change the cable, which is EXTREMELY easy, you can replace the grille. You can also change or mod the foam inside the cup itself. Some people said that using Nylons instead of the foam inside really brings out the treble, but kills the bass. I mean, the options are limitless and the 580s are a great starter can. I will prob upgrade sometime soon, but its for sure going to be either the 600-650s. Just cause i want to see how the difference in sound effects my music.

x2 580s do need an amp

Feb 2, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #14 of 16
amm.... sounds that HD580 is really good but i was just wondering is it really big
coz i am taking it with my ipod and i mainly use it on streets
and PXC-300 is much smaller (also have noice cancelling, which is important for me)

Feb 2, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #15 of 16
They're big and leak sound easily.
So you'll look like a tool walking down a street with these on, but hey, atleast you'll be able to hear if a car's about to run you over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back