A New forum Home For Headphoners!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 3, 2002 at 11:15 PM Post #61 of 79
I was scared that this site was turning into a flame war site, due to we all being so nice and sweet to each other at 1st, those days are of course LONG GONE. But, my fears have not come true. Kelly is cool, i think he's funny and his reviews are great. The true trouble makers always get ban from here anyway, so it's all cool.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2002 at 11:36 PM Post #62 of 79
Aug 4, 2002 at 12:50 AM Post #63 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by jude

Actually, I think this place is still among the most friendly of the big audio forums (if not the most friendly) I've seen.

i'm not saying this place is bad or the people mean. i'm just saying that people were more civil to each other on headwize. i fully admit that head-fi is a lot more entertaining . . as long as you're not on the receiving end of a flame.
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

c'mon, arnett, you and I were hanging out in person for an hour or two, and we were already debating!
tongue.gif
).

yeah, but politics is serious. this is just headphones.
wink.gif
evil_smiley.gif

admit it, jude -- i had you leaning toward the *left* after our debate.
wink.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 4, 2002 at 2:26 AM Post #64 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by arnett
.... admit it, jude -- i had you leaning toward the *left* after our debate.
wink.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

LOL! Yeah, right. Are you Mxyzptlk? (anyone else watch the super hero cartoons in the 70's and 80's?)

KLTPZYXM! KLTPZYXM!

Ah, yes, there's my NRA member card.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 4, 2002 at 3:14 PM Post #66 of 79
For all but a handful of posts, I only know Headwize as an archive but when I read the archive, it seems like there must have been a lot fewer "kids" there. There were debates but it seemed that anytime someone posted he or she genuinely wanted to share information or gather information.

Here, there are the occasional times when you seem someone posting just to defend something or restate something that's been said 50 times--and most of the threads are begun by newbies asking what to buy and filled with a slew of replies with everyone suggesting to buy whatever it is they have. The most frustrating part of that is that a lot of those suggestions come from people who have ONLY heard what they have. Sometimes it amazes me how quick people are to give advice.

Anyway. I especially like the reviews on HeadWize because the followup posts always seem to be so on target. Here the replies are mostly congratualory, a few accusatory and some just wildly meandering. It's odd but the enviornment seems so completely different.

I guess my point is that HeadWize seemed more for geeks... either because people only wanted to discuss their headphone gear or because they weren't social enough to even do much else on a forum. HeadFi has a lot more average joes, for better or worse, and there's a lot more of a public crosssection here. HeadFi now has kind of a "educate the masses" kind of role whereas HeadWize could sort of "keep to itself" community in terms of what kind of people posted there.

I find it especially interesting that the DIY section of HeadFi has the same "feel" to it as all of HeadWize had.

Aug 4, 2002 at 7:44 PM Post #67 of 79
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
....I guess my point is that HeadWize seemed more for geeks... either because people only wanted to discuss their headphone gear or because they weren't social enough to even do much else on a forum. HeadFi has a lot more average joes, for better or worse, and there's a lot more of a public crosssection here. HeadFi now has kind of a "educate the masses" kind of role whereas HeadWize could sort of "keep to itself" community in terms of what kind of people posted there.

I find it especially interesting that the DIY section of HeadFi has the same "feel" to it as all of HeadWize had.

[/size]

I agree with you on your statement about HeadWize being a more keep-to-itself community. And I also found that very charming in its own way -- I was one of the more active posters in that community. But, to me, the regular streaming in of new members that is happening here is a very good thing, and is part of the process of introducing new members to the hobby.

Yeah, some people might be quick to give reviews, but I think that, in general, it's a good thing too. It connotes a certain enthusiasm that newbies have for the experience and revelation of good gear experienced for the first time. I was one of the cats on HeadWize who was very quick to do reviews as new products came in. And as I got a bit deeper into the hobby, I started realizing whose opinions jibed most with my preferences, and newbies will start to determine the same things here as they become not-so-newbies.

To advance, though, it's my opinion that the hobby has to grow. As the interest and market in the hobby grows, so does the likelihood of new and better products to serve it, from both major companies and DIY'ers, to meet a growing demand. A company like Cardas releases a highly specialized product like their Sennheiser replacement headphone cable. Joseph Lau's Antique Sound Labs communicates with some of his customers and improves his products. Tangent sells META42 boards to make it easier for people to try DIY'ing, as well as to make it easier for some of the more prolific DIY'ers to create amps for others (which spawns still another little cottage industry). In fact, Tangent is already creating v2 of his META42 boards since his v1.0 boards have sold out. HeadRoom opens up a sort of lending library, even providing free shipping to most borrowers (understandably, the borrower has to pay to ship back). All of these things happen -- and more will continue to happen -- because the community will continue to grow to demand and support new and better things.

Again, I agree that there is a certain charm in having the feel of a more exclusive club. But I think we're moving in the right direction here. And, as a result, I think we'll see better, cooler headphone-hi-fi-specific stuff available to us as a result.

Aug 4, 2002 at 10:09 PM Post #68 of 79
Jude, I'd like to wish you a belated thanks for everything! This really is a great community, and I'm so glad to a be a part of it, with or without this great thing you've done! Also, helping Chu Moy out is a very commendable thing as well; I really do hope all turns out well for him.

Mar 2, 2004 at 8:02 AM Post #69 of 79
wow...
rs1smile.gif

(all apologies for the thread revival
tongue.gif
)

Mar 2, 2004 at 8:32 AM Post #70 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
wow...
rs1smile.gif

(all apologies for the thread revival
tongue.gif
)

Now, this is a serious case of gravedigging! But, it's a good case of gravedigging.
wink.gif

It's always nice to see historically-signifcant threads revived once in a while because we can all look back and see how things were in the "old days". For example, the naive, young, fresh-faced Jude proclaiming in the first post: Quote:

Originally posted by jude
Welcome to the new headphoners' forums, folks!

I've got good bandwidth behind it, and good hardware too.

Should be reliable, and should load fast, even under heavy loads (when the time comes).

Let's start it up!

Now, here we are today with Head-Fi straining under the load of 10,000+ members and 700,000+ threads. Maybe the hardware is working harder than anybody could have forecast, but the bright promise that Jude envisioned for Head-Fi has been fulfilled.

D.

Mar 2, 2004 at 5:36 PM Post #72 of 79
ooh, I think I know who caused this to come back up
redface.gif

me
biggrin.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 2, 2004 at 6:15 PM Post #73 of 79
damn, I was really confused there for a second until I looked at the post dates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back