A Mooview: Beyerdynamic DT250-80: Initial Impressions
Oct 22, 2001 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

MooGoesTheCow

500+ MOOOderator: Needs a better MOOOOmate
Beyerdynamic DT250-80 Initial Impressions:

Construction:
Lotsa plastic, but well put together. One-sided 4ft coiled cord that is detachable. Velour earpads

Looks:
Quite inconspicuous. No bulges where there shouldn’t be, no flashy colors. Hey, it’s a studio monitor, and People who monitor studios are already sharp looking as it is…any more would make them too sexy for their own good.

Comfort:
Comfy
smily_headphones1.gif
. They fit completely around my ears, and don’t exert much pressure. I could wear these for hours, and will soon find out if that is possible (with frequent breaks, of course!)

Sound:
As a reference, I have my trusty Etymotic 4P with 4S adapter, which I consider second to none in sound reproduction. They are remarkable, in every respect. However, I bought the DT250s based on a few different criteria:

1. I wanted a pair of closed, circumaural cans that I don’t have to clean my ears every time I want to listen to music.
2. I wanted something a friend could listen to if ever need be. (like hell anyone’s gonna stick my etys in their ears!
3. I wanted a pair of rocking headphones -- something that has impact and rhythm and is fast enough to keep up to the pace of the music.
4. I don’t expect them to be as good as the etys.

And so, here I am, 30 minutes after taking them out of the cardboard packaging and slipping them on my head. I’m listening to Blue Man Group. And these are not etys. I know I should not compare them to the etys, but that’s all I’ve been living with for the past six months, so I know them inside out. The Beyer bass is not as extended, the soundstage isn’t as large or precise, midrange is slightly cuppy, and highs are not as extended and smooth. The DT250s are not as detailed, the instrument separation is not as good, and instruments don’t have the tone, texture, or timbre the etys bring out in a recording. All that adds up to being less musical in my mind.

But! But! I did not buy these as direct competition. I bought them as an alternative. These have that visceral impact that etys lack (obviously), as the DT250s surround your outer ear and interact with it. They are surprisingly clear -- no mush. The presentation is forward, but not attacking. These are not grados. I wish I did have a pair of grados on hand to compare, but I do not. The beyers do have detail, but not enough to draw your attention away from the music. You won’t hear all the mistakes in the recording with these.

I just took em off. 45 minutes…needed a break. I guess I’m not used to full-sized headphones. Anyhow, these really can rock. The bass is taut, impactful, yet doesn’t get in the way of the rest of the spectrum. They really do seem remarkably flat for closed cans. I sense no imbalance, except perhaps for an upper-midrange hump, although I’ll need to do some more listening before I can make any real assertions. Take this with a grain of salt. I will listen more and report back tonight with some further observations. Don’t think I dislike these cans -- I like them for what they are. As I listen to more recordings, I’m sure I’ll get a better picture of what these babies are capable of. They are a dream to wear, and present music in a pleasant, simplistic way. They are tonally a tad warm, which is definitely better than cold (especially in pittsburgh winters...hoho!).

So there it is. The Beyer DT250-80. They cost $170 at Headroom. Headroom, as always, a pleasure to do business with.

Associated equipment:
Meridian 586 cd/dvd player
McCormack Micro Integrated Drive
Bolder Type 1 Power Cord
DH Labs Silver Pulse Interconnects

Just for laughs -- since the MID has two headphone ouputs and the Beyers and Etys have virtually identical impedances (80 vs 100 ohms), I might try em both at the same time, the beyers over the etys. I don’t know if the beyers will interfere with the ety stem that sticks out, but we’ll see. Should be fun
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2001 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 21
Well...

I decided to pull out a violin recording, since I know for me, that's the ultimate headphone test -- reproducing a violin. I chose Hilary Hahn's recording of the Bach solo partitas and sonatas. Just the violin and nothing else. Yet a nightmare for headphones in that everything is shown for what it is.

So how did the dt250s fare? Again, lacking in comparison to the etys. The crispness is not there. The sound is oddly distant, I guess partly due to the lack of detail. The violin is not as colorful as it should be. Dynamics are a little undynamic. Yeah, it is a little warm, but I prefer neutral. I bet tubes would make me puke. I've never heard em, except in a speaker setup, and there, I was very much unimpressed.

There's just so much that I miss when listening to these that I just have a strong desire to put on my etys instead, the hassle and inconvenience that they are.

I will give these another day or two, but I don't know if I'll be keeping them. If they were $70, maybe, but $170? That's a lot of money. I was probably expecting too much out of these, and I know I'm being way overcritical, but hey, these are my ears here. I might try this experiment again in a few months with a different headphone.

Thanks for reading, and if you have any questions, suggestions, or comments, please post em.

Muchas gracias
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2001 at 6:24 PM Post #4 of 21
Some more comments, this time better. I promise
wink.gif

I'm listening to Hooverphonic's "A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular" or whatever the name is. And I'm really liking what I'm hearing. The presentation is bright, although lively and kicking where it needs kicking. The bass is just extraordinary in its ability to be slamming, yet unobtrusive. The uppermidrange is still a little hot, but break-in might help tame it a little. Synthetic sounds are great, as since they're not natural to begin with, who's to say what they should sound like? I'm liking these more, for electronica mostly. Rock a little less, but still nice. Classical, eh, not really. Okay, not at all. Jazz? I guess that should be next on my listening agenda, although there's still a half dozen tracks to go on Hooverphonic, and I'm not skipping!

Oct 22, 2001 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 21
I'm listening to them right now and don't notice too much midrange. I'm guessing it'll be tamed with some more time.

Oct 23, 2001 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 21
Hey Moo,
Th cupped mids you're hearing are either your amp or non-broken in can, 'cause they don't sound like that when all's right with the world.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2001 at 2:38 AM Post #7 of 21
thanks,
i'm thinking the cans need some burning in, as they are improving. and if i haven't said so already, these cans got some mad bass!

listening to pink floyd dark side of the moon now, and the cuppiness isn't apparent (well, maybe slightly), although the mids are still a bit harsh. the lows are wonderful, and the highs are on the distant end. will let em cook overnight and give more impressions tomorrow.

Oct 23, 2001 at 3:00 AM Post #8 of 21
Have fun dude! The 250's are kickin'!

Think sMOOth!!

Oct 23, 2001 at 4:03 PM Post #10 of 21
i figured i'd chime in about the 250's since i'm currently wearing them
wink.gif

I agree with Moo that the bass is excellent without being distracting, it's just right.

When I first got these phones last June I was slightly disappointed. Reason being: I didn't notice anything that really stood out in the sound. As they burned in and I've been listening to them for many months now I've changed my opinion. The emphasis is on the music and the sound is very balanced.

And since I've upgraded my source (the denon 370) I'm hearing a DRASTIC improvement. My previous source was a Sony Discman D-E301. So obviously I wasn't hearing everything these cans have to offer, but now I'm ecstatic with what I'm hearing
smily_headphones1.gif
I can't wait 'til I get a new amp now!

Oct 23, 2001 at 11:59 PM Post #12 of 21
sure do.

They're sounding much better now. I let em cook overnight and most of the day. The midrange harshness is all but gone. They still don't go as low as the etys, but they make up for it in punch.

I really should take back many of the negative things I've said previously, as I'm liking them more and more. "This cow's a fool!" you say. "It's all in his head!" Could be. Could be the cans too. Don't know, don't care.

The highs are still recessed, and that last bit of sparkle is absent. The detail is improved as well. Jazz is sounding very intimate and dynamic. Upright bass is just phenomenal. Vocals are non-sibilant, more realistic, and definitely not harsh. The soundstage is good, yet I still hear the artificial boundaries that come from closed headphones.

I really need to listen more to get more specific. Have only had about 30 uninterrupted minutes to listen to them. Will report more later.

Oct 24, 2001 at 12:15 AM Post #13 of 21
I will agree with you on the highs moo, they certainly don't have sparkle. There isn't as much air as with better cans. All in all, i'm agreeing with your findings. Their soundstage is good for closed cans but not exceptional; it's good enough for rock I think, but not as good for other types of music. The bass has terriffic slam!
smily_headphones1.gif
In fact, they have terriffic slam even in the midrange and treble, which is very nice for a lot of percussion. I'm glad to hear the midrange problem has cleared up. See? we told you it would!

Oct 26, 2001 at 5:31 AM Post #14 of 21
I have used the 250-80's for about a year now and have found them exceptionally durable.......I traveled to europe with them and they performed quite well aboard most aircraft, particularly the 777 because it is so quiet. The L1011 on the other hand was a different story.....

One of my favorite features is the way they only have one cord and it can be unplugged from the headphone if you need to.

What I really like about the sound of these headphones it their deep, articluate and accurate bass. On material with a strong bass presence the output of the beyers can be quite tremendous. This is one of the reasons why I bought them in the first place and I must say they live up to their reputaion in this respect! They have the capability to get very loud, particularly with the total airhead amp, but be driven by portables to acceptalbe levels in most environements.

Highly Reccomended, I listen to mine almost everyday now, sometimes from my denon cd player and sometime from my laptop.

However, I think I will try some etymotics just for fun. I cannot decide weather I want the er4p or to wait the mysterious new model that mr. wilson claims to be delveloping. I will be VERY dissapointed if the bass from the er's doesn't stand up to the beyers.

Maybe I'll try some grado 225's to tide me over until the new etys come out.....wonder how type o negative would sound on those.

Oct 26, 2001 at 5:53 AM Post #15 of 21
RollsDownWindowsManually - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That's a funny username.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back