[A 'Mini-Con'!] Arizona Head-Fi Meet: October 21st, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2017 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 266

Coolzo

500+ Head-Fier
LATEST UPDATE: Audeze will be providing sets of their iSine10, iSine20, LCD-X, and LCD-XC! Also, MrSpeakers has provided his latest electrostatic Ether-ES prototype, along with the Aeon Flow (both open and closed)! Stay tuned for more updates!

Greetings, denizens of Head-Fi and of Arizona,
It is time yet again for a gathering of audio enthusiasts in the Valley of the Sun! The official meeting date, time, and location are as follows:

Date & Time:
Saturday October 21st, 2017
9:00AM-5:00PM

11460 W Hilton Way
Avondale, AZ 85323

*Wifi Password is HGI123*

Also-
There will be another raffle at the meet this year. This time, the prize will be a brand new Schiit Jotunheim w/ balanced DAC module! Tickets are $10 each.

The Hotel we will be using this year is a very nice one, with a healthy ~1300ish square feet of space reserved just for us and our cans! There is a Culver's and a Ruby's Tuesdays in the vicinity, and the hotel's own restaurant (located near the lobby) will be open for breakfast, and at 4PM for dinner. There is also a plethora of restaurants on both 107th Ave & McDowell and Dysart & McDowell Rd. Food is not allowed in the room itself, and drinks are only okay if they are purchased from the hotel (there is also a free water cooler in the lobby, yay!). If a hotel room reservation is necessary, please inform us as soon as possible.Thanks to Schiit Audio for their extra support of this meet, and to Garage1217 for their continued support and presence at our Phoenix-based Head-Fi Meets!

Discuss and post your gears below! If you bring electronics, make sure you bring your own power strip/conditioner/whatever. Oh, and selling IS allowed this time around- feel free to offer your used gear for sale (make sure you let people demo it)! Several vendors and industry insiders are supporting this meet (see below). More TBA - stay tuned! Thank you so much for your patience and we hope for this meet to be the most memorable yet. You could almost say that it's a miniature convention... a mini-con :beyersmile:

List of companies/brands contributing to the meet:
Schiit Audio: Sponsorship, Raffle (Jotunheim), SchiitKit (See contents in the gear-list below!)
Garage1217: Entire Garage1217 lineup, many headphones.
LMC Home Entertainment: Vendor, local dealer, various headphones (Including Focal Utopia!!) and amps.
Audio Video Choies: Local dealer, demo unit of Jolida Glass FX tube DAC, T-Shirts!
AZ HiFi: Local dealer, demo unit & sale units of B&W P9 headphones, Final Sonorous VI demo.
MrSpeakers: Demo units of Aeon Flow and Ether-ES headphones.
Kennerton: Demo units of Odin and Vali headphones.
ZMF Headphones: Demo units, TBA!
Audeze: Demo units of iSine10 and iSine20 IEMs, LCD-X and LCD-XC headphones.

Thanks very much to all of these supporters (especially Schiit Audio, who has graciously offered to cover the meet costs, in addition to the big Schiit Kit and raffle item. Wow)! Those not in italics will have industry insiders present.

List of present gears (continually updated, italics might be present):
Schiit Kit (all DACs except Modis are Gen5 USB):

Schiit Loki Mini
Schiit Magni 3
Schiit Vali 2
Schiit Asgard 2
Schiit Valhalla 2
Schiit Lyr 2
Schiit Mjolnir 2
Schiit Modi 2
Schiit Modi Multibit
Schiit Bifrost Multibit (x2)
Schiit Gungnir Multibit
Schiit Fulla 2
Schiit Jotunheim w/ DAC module

Headphones:
MrSpeakers Ether-ES (the latest electrostatic prototype!)
MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed
MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Open
Focal Utopia
Focal Clear
Focal Elear
Kennerton Vali
Kennerton Odin
Audeze LCD-X
Audeze LCD-XC
Abyss Phi
AKG K240
AKG K553 Pro
AKG K712
AKG K812
Audeze EL-8 (2017 version)
Audeze LCD-1 (The OG, only 25 produced!)
Audeze LCD-2f Aluminum
Audioquest Nighthawk
Audio Technica W1000x
B&O H6 Gen 2
Beyerdynamic DT48 (25-ohm)
Denon AH-D2000 (modded)
Denon AH-D7000 (J$ V3 pads)
Enigmacoustics Dharma D1000
Fostex TH-X00 (purpleheart w/ Lawton L1 drivers and Vesper lambskin pads)
Fostex TH-X00 (mahogany)
Fostex TH-X00 (ebony w/ Brainwavz angled lambskin pads)
Fostex TH-900 (gen 1)
Franken-Fostex (TH900 drivers in purpleheart cups and Dekoni pads)
Hifiman HE-400i
Hifiman HE-6
Meze 99 Classics
ModHouseAudio Argon
Monoprice Monolith M1060
Monoprice 9927
MrSpeakers Ether-C
MrSpeakers Ether Flow
Philips Fidelio X2
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Sennheiser HD650 (stock and modded, balanced and unbalanced, various configs)
Sennheiser HD800S
Sennheiser HD800/SDR (various mods, cablings, and serials will be present)
Sony MDR-MA900
Sony MDR-Z1R
Sony MDR-Z7

Amps:

Schiit Jotunheim w/ Freya preamp
Schiit Freya pre + Schiit Vidar power amp
Schiit Mjolnir 1
AMB Labs M3 DIY amp
Audio-GD NFB-1AMP
Decware Taboo mkII
DIY 6K6 tube amp by @BzzzzzT
Eddie Current Aficionado
Eddie Current Balancing Act (Mullard ECC35 ADZAM, EML 300B mesh)
Eddie Current Zana Deux
JDSLabs O2
Little Dot 1+ (heavily modded)
Nutube Hybrid amp
Violectric V281
Wells Audio Milo
"Wintergreen Handwarmer" Altoids tin amp
Woo Audio WA6 (Modded, EML 274B, TSRP 6SN7)

DACs:
Uptone Audio Regen > M2Tech HifFace Evo > Schiit Yggdrasil
Audiogd DI U8 > Abbas Audio DAC 0.1
Audiogd DI U8 > Abbas Audio DAC 2.0
Exogal Comet
Gustard U12 > Theta DS Pro Basic III-A
Ifi Purifier > Chord Mojo
Musiland Dragon USB (ASIO) > PS Audio DLIII DAC (Cullen IV mods)
pupDAC
MSB Platinum Link
PS1 CD player
Singer SU-1 > Audiogd Singularity DAC 19
Theta Cobalt
Violectric V850

DACAmps:
Geekout V2+
Grace M9XX
Sony UDA-1
Questyle CMA600i
Chord Hugo TT

IEMs:
Audeze iSine10
Audeze iSine20
BGVP DM5
CA Orion
Carbo Tenore
DQSM D2002
EarSonics Velvet V2
Etymotic ER4SR
Echobox Finder
Shockwave 3
Shozy Hibiki
VE Zen 2.0
RHA T20
Fidue A83

DAPs:
Questyle QP1R

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #4 of 266
I'll definitely be coming regardless of location. Like @Gofspar says, I want the meeting place to be more secure than the library. Make sure there is enough space as I might have a decent amount of things I'll bring.

Subject to change:

Schiit Gungnir Mulitibit
Schiit Freya
Schiit Jotunheim
Eddie Current Zana Deux
Eddie Current Aficionado (if it arrives in time)

HE-6
HD650
MA900
TH-X00 (if I can get it resoldered with new connectors)

Aug 10, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #6 of 266
Well, since I live 2 blocks away (for now), I have no excuse. I'll be bringing my new (today even) Milo amp and Abyss Phi. Looking forward to trying some good Dacs to help me decide on my next purchase.

Aug 12, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #7 of 266
I'm in, excited for my first meet. I'll contribute to the cost as well, it'll make me feel better about doing nothing to help actually setup the meet lol. I'll also plan on bringing my current setup listed in my signature unless any pieces end up really redundant.

Side note: my next big purchase will probably be some higher-end IEMs for on the go, if anyone coming to the meet or in the area owns the CA Andromedas I'd love to audition them.

Aug 15, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #10 of 266
Thanks for the responses guys! I'd like more people to comment to make sure the Arrowhead location is okayーif not, there is one other possible location closer to the airport (info pending, as I seem to have lost it! foo on me).

Anyway, looks like we're tenatively planning this for Saturday, October 14th. Is this a good date for everyone? Keep in mind that nothing is quite set in stone just yet. I look forward to making this meet a success!

On a more exciting note, aside from the usual when/where questionaire hypetrain, we (primarily @koover, who prompted further expansion) are working to get some more industry-insider representation at the meet this year. Fingers crossed! Sub for deets later

Aug 15, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #11 of 266
I'm obviously in. Very stoked for the meet and it can't come soon enough.
I'll be bringing all my headphones that are listed in my signature. I won't be bringing any schitt though. I should have at least 6 pairs of HP's so it'll be a wide variety to test drive.
Looking forward to meeting everyone as this is my first meet. :L3000:

Aug 15, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #12 of 266
10/14 is good with me. Any spot within a couple hours and I'm good, I'm pretty central so it makes it easy.

I'm with koover, really excited for this. Only been serious about the hobby since earlier this year, but there are a ton of cans I want to try, and it looks like a decent amount of them will be in attendance.

Aug 16, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #13 of 266
The prior weekend of the 7th is RMAF so that's probably not the best time. If you do the week after (14th), who knows, maybe some of the vendors will be willing to stop by PHX after being in Denver. Location isn't an issue for me. I will talk to a friend that reps a certain company to see if he'll come or ship some gear to me to bring along.

Aug 16, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #14 of 266
The prior weekend of the 7th is RMAF so that's probably not the best time. If you do the week after (14th), who knows, maybe some of the vendors will be willing to stop by PHX after being in Denver. Location isn't an issue for me. I will talk to a friend that reps a certain company to see if he'll come or ship some gear to me to bring along.
Yeah I just noticed that, I'll be attending RMAF, so the 14th would be alot better for me and more vendors will probably have interest for loaners.

Aug 16, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #15 of 266
At this stage we'll almost certainly be holding the meet on the 14th, for sure. If it's different at all, I'd say only a week later on the 21st, but I get the feeling that the 14th will work for more of us here in the AZ community. No use trying to compete with RMAF, not yet anyway... :beyersmile:

EDIT: As of now, the 14th and 21st are equally possible- it just depends on the location (see original post)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back