A Memory of Light - last book in the Wheel of Time Discussion thread [WARNING, SPOILERS]
Jan 13, 2013 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Covenant

Headphoneus Supremus
Warning, this thread will contain spoilers!

Hey all, having just finished the book, I figured a discussion thread was in order :)

First off, the trio of duels Vs Demandred was awesome. Now we know who the finest swordsman in the world REALLY is (not that there was ever much doubt).

Egwene discovering the "flame of tar valon" weave was also awesome, but also seemed to suffer a bit from deus ex machina. How did she discover it? She just sort of... wanted to, and it happened.

Hiding the Dragons underground and using gateways to fire them = pure genius.

One thing I'm curious about... how did Callandor become a True Power sa'angreal? Who could have possibly known how to create one, even in the Age of Legends, other than one of the Forsaken?

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #2 of 3
I just finished it this weekend, finally found the time to read the last 200 pages.

I also thought the 3 sword fights against demandred were awesome, but i still think that Galad is a better swordsmen than Lan. I still don't get why he didnt take at least one of the bloodknife rings from gawyn, cause if he had it would have been a done deal. Even in the reading lan only "won" becuase he sheathed the sword, galad held his own against demandred better throughout.

Yeah, the flame of tar valon was cool. But you could say that she discovered it, because throughout the series its been known that the stronger someone is in the power the more innate talen they will have, and more things they will just "discover". similar things had been done other times in the series. I think of the flame of tar valon as kind of like inverting a weave except that she did it to balefire to counteract the effects.

As for callandor. The entire reason that they drilled the bore in the first place was that they discovered there was a source of power that both men and women could use and they wanted to reach it. So it would follow that alot of people knew about the True Power in the age of legends. So it would also make sense that they would want a Sa'Angreal for the True Power, but i think that it was caused the issues in the weapon. The fact that you can force the user into a circle, and that it amplifies the taint, all becuase of its sort of link to the dark one.

anywho, thats my take on it :D i love discussing the wheel of time. I've been reading them since i was in 4th grade, so it was awesome getting to finish the story. I even got a little teary eyed in a couple parts of the book.

I also still cant believe how many freaking characters died, its like Robert Jordan decided to pull a GRRM at the end

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 3
RE: the Lan Vs Demandred duel, remember that Lan had been fighting almost constantly since Tarwin's Gap, taking extra shifts and taxing himself. If he were fresh, he might have been able to win cleanly against Demandred without needing to sheath the sword. I doubt even a fresh Galad could have done that.

Interesting point about the Bore and Callandor. I think it was Mierin Sedai (aka Lanfear) who discovered the Dark One's prison and wanted to tap it's power. But it would be difficult to make an Angreal for a power no one had actually tapped yet, unless there was a period after opening the Bore where the Dark One provided power freely to corrupt people.

I feel like the perfect sequel to this series would be to write about the Age of Legends, following the story of Lews Therin. So many things are left un-described from that age. What exactly happened on opening the Bore? How did Aginor learn to make the Trollocs and other shadowspawn? What did the Dark One do to keep the Aes Sedai at bay before he had his armies to protect him?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back