A little trick to remember, especially for first time Grado users...
Nov 21, 2014 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Michael G.

100+ Head-Fier
As I'm up for a Grado RS1i listening session, my rule of fit comes to mind. 

Hold the bowls (if you're using standard Grado bowl earcups, as I do) with your index finger on the backside of each bowl. Put the headphones on, and using the placement of your index fingers as an index, line up the backside of the bowls with the backside of your ear. Do not let the bowls overlap the backmost edge of your ears. You'll notice that this alignment will not allow the bowls to completely encircle your ears, but instead produces a "bowl forward" placement that positions the earcups and drivers approx. 3/8" more forward on the head than usual. Because the drivers are no longer centered directly over the ear canals, you'll need to raise the volume level on your amp slightly in compensation. You may also need to adjust earcup height very slightly, upward.  

Once you've adjusted the volume level, you'll notice that the Grado *soundstage* has now greatly improved. Although the "bowl forward" wearing style might take some getting used to at first, after a while you'll come to appreciate that your ears are staying cooler and don't sweat as much as they once did. Those small airgaps created around your ears by the bowl forward placement help your ears stay cool and comfortable, more so than with standard over-ear placement.

Time to go listen to some Dr. John...

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #2 of 6
I honestly can't understand people that think Grados sound good when they wear the bowls around ear, they sound thin and shrill. They must be fooling themselves, thinking this is how they should sound and all the good reviews are based on that shrill sound. Well, most positive reviews are not. Besides, the fit is terribly uncomfortable if one tries to wear the bowls "over ear".
Placing the bowls more forward on your ears actually makes them sound the way they should and comfort level is very acceptable this way.

Nov 22, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 6
Agreed.

I would go so far to say that wearing Grados "bowl forward" cures many of the comfort issue people have with the stock bowl earpads due to texture, heat, and poor breathability. The new position might take a bit of getting used to if you have been wearing the bowls squarely over your ears for years, but a few hours later you'll be back in the saddle again.

Nov 22, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 6
Nice trick, but that far forward and they start to fall off on me.

I did notice that I was wearing my grados to low on my head. By beyerdynamics need to cover my whole ear, so I wear them a little lower than my grados. Once I shorted the headband a little, which pulled the grado cups up a little on my ears, they became WAY more comfortable. 

Nov 22, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 6
So that the cans are both pointing to the back of your head a teeny bit? I've always worn my SR80i's like that, it's the only way they fit.. They cover a little of your head, but stay mostly on your ears, tilting to fit your ear size when you put them on, I never thought that could even be a problem for anyone.
I hate on-ear cans, because of my glasses and the fact that they never seal right, but the grados just fit perfectly without trying to seal, clamp, or fit straight. You put them on, and they angle automatically, just the way they're supposed to.

Nov 23, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #6 of 6
  Nice trick, but that far forward and they start to fall off on me.

I did notice that I was wearing my grados to low on my head. By beyerdynamics need to cover my whole ear, so I wear them a little lower than my grados. Once I shorted the headband a little, which pulled the grado cups up a little on my ears, they became WAY more comfortable. 

Because of the natural curvature of the top of the cranium, when you move the bowls forward you might also need to adjust the bowls upward a bit and move the headband backwards slightly so that it rests on the very topmost portion of your skull. You might also need to tighten your headband just a bit too, as the distance between the ears lessens slightly when the bowls move forward.

It's a balancing act...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back