A little noise when moving the volume knob in ultra micro..please advice
May 26, 2009 at 10:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

plonter

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi. today i listened to a really quiet song (bjork- "hyper ballad") and just wanted to raise the volume a little. while i did this , i heard a little psssss.
don't know exactly how to call it...but you know what i mean.
i never heard it before in the ultra micro and i thought that didn't supposed to happen in this amp (unlike lower quality amps or portable amps).
my headphones are the denon AH-D5000 and the source is ultra micro dac, for what that matters.

is it normal?? maybe the denon low impedance? (although they're not so sensitive), maybe the certain song? (is it related??), maybe the stock power supplies?
please advice, thanks!

EDIT: i just checked it with other silent song..and it didn't happen. and ofcourse it doesn't happen with no music playing.
so...cant it be the certain track? is this exist?

May 26, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #2 of 9
You may have been putting sideways pressure on the pot when you turned it the first time. Happens to my regular Micro all the time, but goes away if I turn the pot carefully. Noise from the pot like this is only really a concern if it happens even when you're being careful.

May 26, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may have been putting sideways pressure on the pot when you turned it the first time. Happens to my regular Micro all the time, but goes away if I turn the pot carefully. Noise from the pot like this is only really a concern if it happens even when you're being careful.

Thanks for the reply! i don't think i putted any pressure on the knob if that's what you meant. i nearly didn't touch it. always when i push the volume knob to either side, i do it as gently as possible...barely even touch it.
besides... i tries it couple of times in the same point in the specific track and it's still was there...the noise. but when i tried it in other tracks, it was'nt there and i turned the knob exactly the same way i did before, with the same pressure.
my only logical conclusion is that it's somehow related to the specific track,
i can't explain this..but that's my assumption.

anyway...i think i already forgot about it, i hope this isn't a big deal, especially if you say it also happenes to you.

May 26, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #4 of 9
If i may ask another question that not related...instead of starting new thread.
is it ok to turn the amp volume knob all the way up?? (with no music ofcourse)
i did it a couple of times just to check if there is any humming or pssssss
coming out of the amp. hope i didn't overpowered it or something, if there is such a thing.
sorry for the noobish question, i am just a little paranoid about my gear.
it's the only one i got!

thanks again!

May 26, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #5 of 9
I'll tell you what a local retired Mackintosh repairman told me. I've got a great old 80s Croft preamp with separate LR volume pots and toggle switches. When I was having problems, I asked the technician whether I ought to get some spray contact cleaner.

He shook his head and mournfully reminisced about all the clients he'd had who had messed up their equipment by cleaning and tweaking the parts. He recommended instead that I unplug the preamp from power and carefully but repeatedly flip all the switches up-and-down, and turn the pots high-and-low-and-high again. He argued that dust accumulates over time, and the original lubricant will dry and congeal. But each time a physical connection is turned or switched, the contact is cleaned by friction in a manner that will not harm the device. He also recommended vacuuming out the inside of the case, but you may not need to do this. His recommendation did indeed improve the function of the preamp switches.

May 26, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #6 of 9
Because our amps are DC coupled, wiper noise on the pot will modulate any small DC offset in the signal at the pot. So it's normal to have a small amount of noise while moving the pot.

And it won't hurt the amp to turn it all the way up.

May 26, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #7 of 9
thanks guys! when i turned the volume knob all the way up, afterwards i kind of felt sorry for the tiny ultra micro
bigsmile_face.gif
, but it's powerful indeed.

May 26, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks guys! when i turned the volume knob all the way up, afterwards i kind of felt sorry for the tiny ultra micro
bigsmile_face.gif
, but it's powerful indeed.

I turn my Micro up all the way all the time- on some tracks, nearly full volume but low gain setting is ideal with my HD650s.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll tell you what a local retired Mackintosh repairman told me. I've got a great old 80s Croft preamp with separate LR volume pots and toggle switches. When I was having problems, I asked the technician whether I ought to get some spray contact cleaner.

He shook his head and mournfully reminisced about all the clients he'd had who had messed up their equipment by cleaning and tweaking the parts. He recommended instead that I unplug the preamp from power and carefully but repeatedly flip all the switches up-and-down, and turn the pots high-and-low-and-high again. He argued that dust accumulates over time, and the original lubricant will dry and congeal. But each time a physical connection is turned or switched, the contact is cleaned by friction in a manner that will not harm the device. He also recommended vacuuming out the inside of the case, but you may not need to do this. His recommendation did indeed improve the function of the preamp switches.

Sorry to double-quote, but I've had a dust problem with the speed adjustment wheels on my Technics SL-220 turntable. I've found that repeated use eventually wore the 33 1/3 one back in to where it was useful again. Now to do the same for my 45 wheel...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back