A little more bass, please: Change my player (Fuze) or my IEMs (PFE)?
Jul 14, 2010 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mudo

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all. I know I have a threat considering new tips for my PFEs in search for better fit, but these last days I'm also thinking that I should consider making bigger changes.

My actual portable equipment is Sansa Fuze + Audeo PFE. I love my PFE's precision, treble... they are great. But I would like the bass notes to be a bit more present (EDIT: this was a seal problem as I wrote later). I know they won't get close to my beloved HD650, that's not a problem. Anyway just a bit more bass presence would be great. So the question is:

1. Should I sell my PFE and get a new pair of IEMs? I'll get a new pair from Phonak in a few days. Maybe I could consider IE8 or Fischer Audio DBA-02...
  2. Should I sell my Sansa Fuze and get a new DAP? I would appreciate good SQ, good equalizer, physical buttons for blind use, SD card support (or a nice capacity if it doesn't support it) and standard USB connector (mini, micro, whatever). Maybe Sony is an option (but X series is expensive and I don't want they wifi just to use their crappy web browser).

One last thing: my ear canals are quite small, just to let you know.

Sure your answers will help me decide what to do. Thank you.

Jul 14, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 13
I assume the EQ on the Fuze is not giving you enough bass?  My RE0 is rather bass-lite unless it is amped (Fiio E5 is fine for me) and I boost the EQ bass up a notch or 2.

From reports I've read, the DBA-02 will give you a more dynamic, fuller sound, but it is close to $200 -- and it is out of stock, waiting on more production for several weeks.

Jul 14, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 13
The Fuze has a horrible EQ in it's stock configuration but before you get another DAP you could Rockbox your Fuze which would allow you alot more control of the EQ.

Otherwise if you are considering IE8 level of IEM's I would recommend the SM3.

LOL Photofan you beat me to the punch :)

Jul 14, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
Hi all. I know I have a threat considering new tips for my PFEs in search for better fit, but these last days I'm also thinking that I should consider making bigger changes.

My actual portable equipment is Sansa Fuze + Audeo PFE. I love my PFE's precision, treble... they are great. But I would like the bass notes to be a bit more present. I know they won't get close to my beloved HD650, that's not a problem. Anyway just a bit more bass presence would be great. So the question is:

1. Should I sell my PFE and get a new pair of IEMs? I'll get a new pair from Phonak in a few days. Maybe I could consider IE8 or Fischer Audio DBA-02...
  2. Should I sell my Sansa Fuze and get a new DAP? I would appreciate good SQ, good equalizer, physical buttons for blind use, SD card support (or a nice capacity if it doesn't support it) and standard USB connector (mini, micro, whatever). Maybe Sony is an option (but X series is expensive and I don't want they wifi just to use their crappy web browser).

One last thing: my ear canals are quite small, just to let you know.

Sure your answers will help me decide what to do. Thank you.

I have both the PFE`s and IE8`s as well as my coppers. Have the DBA`s on order.
Yes I like bass, yes I agree the pfe`s lack it, but my ears are starting to suffer from thumping bass. I listen at probably an above average level.
The tinnitus I already had is deffinately a bit more than I had, even typing this I hear a slight ringing.
I am hoping that the dba`s offer what people say and if they lack the bass boom which I currently have I am not going to be "that disappointed".
I think my listening from now own has to be controlled with a more balanced sound and not exaggerated in any part of the spectrum.
The pfe`s? I may end up listening to them in the end after all, hope not but might.

Jul 14, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #6 of 13
FX700, MTP Copper, Radius DDM, HJE900 and Klipsch Custom 3........

Jul 14, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 13
If you don't like the sound you are hearing earphones are where the change needs to take place, not the player or Eq.  Phones first, everything else is secondary.  

Caveat-unless you can find tips that give you the bass you seek. 

Jul 14, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #8 of 13
If it's just a little bit more bass putting on rockbox and EQ up the bass a bit shouldn't be too difficult. Of course neutral phone combined with neutral player doesn't usually scream lots of bass :p

Jul 14, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #9 of 13
Oh, many replies, that's great. And about what you all wrote:

1. I listen with low volume. Just a few times I turn the pot up a bit
  2. I tried a lot of tips. I got my best fit with small PFE silicone tips, but isolation is not the best with them.
  3. I got my Fuze rockboxed for a few months but I must say I didn't experiment much with the equalizer. I got back to Sandisk's firmware these last weeks.

I will get a new pair of PFE's soon (hope so) because Phonak should send them to replay my broken pair (first version). The problem is that I should decide if I want to sell or keep them *before* I unbox them, just to keep their value.

After reading your messages I guess my best bet is to experiment with Rockbox EQ and another earphones while I don't have my PFE back. Hope I can decide if I want to replace something after a bit of use.

Thank you all for your help!

Jul 15, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #11 of 13
loopfreak: Indeed. But better than buying the new Perfect Bass I should keep my PFE and buy the new green filters, probably it would be a better value for me.

I read all the threads I found about Perfect Bass, but it doesn't makes clear to me how much clarity and detail I would loss if I use the green filters with my PFE instead of the black or the gray ones. I mean: mids and treble are great with gray filters, I wouldn't like to loss that.

Aug 18, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #13 of 13
Well, I finally opened the PFE V1 I got back when my V0 broke. I wanted to give them a second chance and I'm happy I did. Now I get a good seal with the medium sleeves and bass sounds perfect for me. Perhaps I was wrong about the tips used or it could be that the new ones are a bit different sized (?). Whatever, I'm very happy with them. I won't consider green filters now that I read they have too much bass for some people and that they need an amp to get loud.

This issue taught me a lot of things about my medium ear canal size :)

I thought it was not fair to avoid this post into this thread: PFE is not as bass light as I considered. Thank you all for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back