A little help? What's your expert opinion
Sep 12, 2010 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

urbanslaughter

New Head-Fier
Hi, I have been using Etymotic ER6i's for about 5 years now. I've been very happy with them (except for the fact that I just broke my second pair in 5 years), but I now need a new pair of earphones. I'm definitely looking for IEMs (especially for running - although I'm not OVERLY concerned about cord microphonics. The 6i's definitely had some microphonic effects, but it was certainly bearable). I've been looking at the HF5's and suspect that I'd be very happy with those. I like the etymotic fit and sound, but I'm worried that I'm just wasting my money. I'm getting older and I don't think my ears are THAT great. I've found the HF5s for just $119, which seems fair to me. Should I be looking at something just as good (or better) for a good deal less money? I definitely don't want something that sounds less impressive than my 6is did. Thanks for all your help!

Sep 12, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #2 of 4

Quote:
Hi, I have been using Etymotic ER6i's for about 5 years now. I've been very happy with them (except for the fact that I just broke my second pair in 5 years), but I now need a new pair of earphones. I'm definitely looking for IEMs (especially for running - although I'm not OVERLY concerned about cord microphonics. The 6i's definitely had some microphonic effects, but it was certainly bearable). I've been looking at the HF5's and suspect that I'd be very happy with those. I like the etymotic fit and sound, but I'm worried that I'm just wasting my money. I'm getting older and I don't think my ears are THAT great. I've found the HF5s for just $119, which seems fair to me. Should I be looking at something just as good (or better) for a good deal less money? I definitely don't want something that sounds less impressive than my 6is did. Thanks for all your help!

The hf5 is a great upgrade from the ER6i, but the hf5 have a lot of microphonics too (never used an ER6 so I have no idea how much microphonics does it have). You might consider the RE-0, or the new mc5 I've read lot's of great reviews of it, and it seems to be the biggest bang for the buck if you like the Ety sound.

Sep 16, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #3 of 4
You would love the Hf-5 as a replacement for the ER-6i.  If you found a paid for $119 grab it!  Also there is a new custom fit upgrade program available that you should look into.  Go to etymotic.com/customft to see the detail.  A 2 year warranty on the HF-5 is also a deal clincher!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back