a little diy gallery to share
Mar 4, 2006 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

americandreaming

100+ Head-Fier
thanks to all the great info on this forum and the gracious help of many of the diyers here, i've been able to build some stuff that actually works and sounds good. special thanks to nate maher, without whose help my millett would neither be finished nor working.

as you can see from the pics my casework still has a long way to go.
diy gallery

Mar 4, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 4
It's not your casework. Just pick nicer cases.

EDIT: Never mind, saw the extra holes. Keep practicing, and you'll get it. I've ruined 2 mint tins so far, in my limited CMoy experience

Mar 4, 2006 at 1:02 PM Post #3 of 4
I've had very good luck using Front Panel Express software to lay out my panels. I've cased up a Millet and a Steps in Hammond cases with metal panels and I haven't mis-drilled a hole yet. I lay out the panel just like I was going to have a panel made, and then print it on paper, cut out the panel outline, and cut out the holes. Then I tape it onto the case and put the panel parts in to make sure everything fits and everything has clearance over the board parts, etc. I also make sure the holes are the right size, or at least almost big enough- to the point where a little reaming will make it fit perfectly. My motto is: I can always make it a little bigger but I can't put metal back on the panel.

When I am sure it is right, I print another copy and just cut out the panel outline and tape that to thte panel and drill it out.

A good office supply store will sell heavy copy/printer paper that is almost the consistency of very thin cardboard. I think it is 90lb or 100lb paper but don't have access to it right now. That might be useful for larger panels, where paper is too flimsy to accurately keep it's position.

I was very concerned about my ability to properly center parts, especially board mounted parts like the Millet pot shaft. No problems yet...

I bought a 15/16" Greenlee punch for those Neutrik jacks. It is very expensive but it makes nice smooth, professional looking holes.

Regards,
Neil

Mar 4, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 4
Nice amps larry I see you still have the bug. Hope Spain is working out and Antonio (hunky pool boy) with long flowing hair hasnt arivied yet to take your lady.

By the way your next projects should be to make replica's of the klipsch speakers with them designs I gave you. Yup that would be impressive.... oh wait this is Larry never mind.

Your former (brilliant) student.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back