A little clarification on balancing and reterminating headphones.
Mar 10, 2010 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sokolov91

Headphoneus Supremus
So I was pretty set on getting a Meier Concerto, until I noticed the Audio-GD Phoenix.

I was going to use the Concerto to get near balanced performance until I had enough money to get some headphones re-cabled and a serious source.

BUT, the Phoenix offers a 4 pin XLR output, and even a kit to re-terminate your own headphones for 30 bucks. Sure its 500$ more... but that means I don't have to try and sell the concerto in the future.

Being able to re-terminate my own headphones to balanced without paying out the ass for cables that may or may not make a diff sounds VERY good... One less upgrade to make in the future.

Now, the audio-gd is clearly the way to go for this new route, but is a 4 pin truly balanced?

I have read that 2 x 3 pin XLR, when used for headphone output, only uses 4/6 pins. L+/L-/R+/R-.... If so, it sounds pretty straight forward to re-cable just about any of my headphones...

Where did the ground go? A TRS jack has a ground, and now these 4 pin XLRs don't?
Are all headphones that use a TRS jack able to be converted into a 4 pin? the D2000 apparently is, but I really hope all can.

If anyone could please clarify these electrical issues for me, I would be most grateful.

Also, If owners of the phoenix could chime in as to what they are using - 2 x 3 or 1 x 4 pin configuration.

Thanks in advance

Mar 10, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by sokolov91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, the audio-gd is clearly the way to go for this new route, but is a 4 pin truly balanced?

Depends on what's driving it. If it's driven from balanced outputs, yes. If it's driven from unbalanced outputs, no.

Quote:

I have read that 2 x 3 pin XLR, when used for headphone output, only uses 4/6 pins. L+/L-/R+/R-....

As far as the headphones themselves go, yes.

Quote:

Where did the ground go? A TRS jack has a ground, and now these 4 pin XLRs don't?

No. "Ground" is irrelevant as far as the headphones are concerned.

Quote:

Are all headphones that use a TRS jack able to be converted into a 4

Not all are able to be converted at the cable end. Some only run three wires from the headphone to the plug. In those cases, you'd have to make some sort of modification to the headphones to get all four lines out to the jack.

Quote:

Also, If owners of the phoenix could chime in as to what they are using - 2 x 3 or 1 x 4 pin configuration.

2 x 3 is completely dumb and needs to be done away with. Stick with 1 x 4.
atsmile.gif

se

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on what's driving it. If it's driven from balanced outputs, yes. If it's driven from unbalanced outputs, no.

As far as the headphones themselves go, yes.

No. "Ground" is irrelevant as far as the headphones are concerned.

Not all are able to be converted at the cable end. Some only run three wires from the headphone to the plug. In those cases, you'd have to make some sort of modification to the headphones to get all four lines out to the jack.

2 x 3 is completely dumb and needs to be done away with. Stick with 1 x 4.
atsmile.gif

se

Thank you very much!

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #5 of 5
Depending on the design of the components, a regular 3-pin XLR cable may not have a connected ground either, the ground being used only as a shield connected on one end. Some headphones, such as the Beyer T1 appear to have a shield connected to the back of the driver. I imagine if a pair were balanced then that shield could be connected to the ground pin in a 3-pin XLR set-up or the plug body or pin 1 with a 4-pin XLR. This has been in the back of my mind a bit to investigate more, along with amp design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back