A little CD shopping . . .
Sep 17, 2002 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Kronsteen

New Head-Fier
I did a little CD shopping yesterday and thought I'd share the results. My local Newberry Comics (a Boston Area chain) had a bunch of Rudy Van Gelder Edition/Blue Note titles for $8.99 and I was in one of those moods (actually that morning I had been listening to a whole bunch of Blue Note stuff at my house - which set the mood).

I picked up "A Fickle Sonance" by Jackie McLean (Tommy Turrentine, trumpet; Sonny Clark, piano; Butch Warren, bass; and Billy Higgins, drums). Although I'm only on the second tune I think this might be a truly GREAT album. I have only one other album by Jackie Mclean and it's crackhead music. This stuff is more reflective of the music that was being played at the time - October, 1961. Interestingly enough, in the liner notes Bob Blumenthal says "A Fickle Sonance is one of the most welcome titles to appear in the RVG series. The album has never been reissued before in the United States, and therefore has been one of the most unjustly neglected titles in the discography of one of the Music's greatest alto saxophonists."

I also picked up "Blowin' the Blues Away" by Horace Silver (Blue Mitchell, trumpet; Junior Cook, tenor saxophone; Gene Taylor, bass; Louis Hayes, drums). I remember getting this out of a local Town Library when I was in my teens. I took it out because I knew it had the tune "Peace" and I thought this was the version that a local Jazz DJ Eric used as the intro to his show "Eric in the Evening" (from WGBH in Boston). I also remember almost exclusively listening to side two of the album - that was the side with "Peace." BTW - what's up with Horace Silver? I don't think he gets half as much credit as he should for being such a prolific composer. No one talks about him! Why??? And he's still out there recording new albums!!!

And finally I grabbed "6 Pieces of Silver" by the Horace Silver Quintet (Donald Byrd, trumpet; Hank Mobley, tenor saxophone; Doug Watkins, bass; Louis Hayes, drums; Junior Cook, tenor saxophone; Gene Taylor, bass; Bill Henderson, vocal). Although he would be about 30 years old at the time, he looks really young on the cover. BTW - almost all the tunes on "Blowin'" (all except one) and "6 Pieces" (again, all except one) were written by Horace Silver.

Not part of the Blue Note group - I picked up "My Favorite Things" by John Coltrane. I can't believe that I have never owned a copy of this (either as album or as CD)!!! I bought the 1998 reissue with two bonus tracks - alternative versions of "My Favorite Things." There are some pretty extensive liner notes and lots of good pictures with this issue - it's part of the Atlantic Records 50 Years releases. However, the sound quality of this CD, to my ears, is surprisingly bad. I can hear obvious "drop-outs" and other distortion. One would think that Rhino Records would seek out the master tape and do a careful remaster job.

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back