A little about the Shozy Alien
Apr 2, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #1,668 of 3,124
Recently I feel that the alien might be too much to handle, like not knowing the song and having to take out the sdcard and well what can I say using other dap have definitely been easier, battery life wise more if not same. Since I mostly use it on the move, i need it to sound better to justify for screenless and stuff or at least have more battery life.
I guess I will save up money for another dap.

Your concerns can be well founded, and unfortunately also mistaken. I am sure I speak for many of us Shozy owners here when I say we all had those thoughts floating around our head before taking the plunge and ordering one. I'm sure many will agree that with the screenless aspect comes a new found appreciation and a welcomed revelation towards the shuffle/shozy style DAP.
I used to review DAP upon DAP for ABI (anythingbutipod), and always I had gripes about this feature of UI or that. It's strangely odd and refreshing to be met with so little to complain about, because it is so stripped back to basics.
My point is, that it's a bit of a journey, you won't know whether you appreciate the Shozy in all it's glory till you have it in your hand and play around with it, trial it, live with it, and see how it/if it works for you. You can't second guess it and predict how you might feel about it, you have to own it.

I thought this too but its actually such a relief having one less decision make- which song is next. Instead you just load it up with music that you like and put your attention on other things including the world around you. 

Plus the form factor and build quality is pretty hard to beat for portability.

And of course the sound which I doubt can be touched in that price range.

Well that's it. From what I gather you have to spend quite a bit more for similar sound quality + screen, but then u also have a far bulkier device to contend with. Free yourself from the screen!! the Screen is EVIL!!

+1

The Alien was a leap of faith for me, but it's secured top spot for my portable listening pleasure - it pairs incredibly well with the Noble K10s and never ceases to amaze with a well-recorded album.

+1

Yep, leap of faith is what it's about. (and also about specific albums sounding partiucularly amazing.)

Apr 2, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #1,669 of 3,124
Your concerns can be well founded, and unfortunately also mistaken. I am sure I speak for many of us Shozy owners here when I say we all had those thoughts floating around our head before taking the plunge and ordering one. I'm sure many will agree that with the screenless aspect comes a new found appreciation and a welcomed revelation towards the shuffle/shozy style DAP.

I used to review DAP upon DAP for ABI (anythingbutipod), and always I had gripes about this feature of UI or that. It's strangely odd and refreshing to be met with so little to complain about, because it is so stripped back to basics.

My point is, that it's a bit of a journey, you won't know whether you appreciate the Shozy in all it's glory till you have it in your hand and play around with it, trial it, live with it, and see how it/if it works for you. You can't second guess it and predict how you might feel about it, you have to own it.

Ahh... I own it??? I even sold my fiio x3 after buying the alien.....

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #1,671 of 3,124
  What headphone pairing are people finding sounds best with the Alien? Out of the Tenores, Rockets, Thinksound On1s and Mikros 90s, I find the 90s sound best by a decent margin. 

Was wondering how the Rockets (I'm assuming the Aurisonics Rockets) sound with the Alien. I'm using them with a Fiio X3, but I think that a better DAP could perhaps bring out the Rockets' mids more.

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #1,672 of 3,124

Was wondering how the Rockets (I'm assuming the Aurisonics Rockets) sound with the Alien. I'm using them with a Fiio X3, but I think that a better DAP could perhaps bring out the Rockets' mids more.

The Aurisonic Rockets sound very good with the Alien. I was also using them with the X3 before I got the Alien and they sound much better with the Alien. The Alien extends their treble much better than the X3 IMO, and treble is the biggest weakness of the Rockets for me. 

Edit: I don't remember the mids with the X3 and the Rockets. The Rockets are so mid centric that I can't imagine wanting more mids, but that's obviously a matter of preference. 

Apr 3, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #1,673 of 3,124
Thanks for your reply! Maybe I'll take a shot at the Shozy. That gold one looks mighty enticing at the price they have it on null-audio.

Just sent an email to null-audio asking them whether the Gold Edition is in any way different than the regular one other than the color.
Does anyone know the answer to that question?

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #1,674 of 3,124
  Thanks for your reply! Maybe I'll take a shot at the Shozy. That gold one looks mighty enticing at the price they have it on null-audio.

Just sent an email to null-audio asking them whether the Gold Edition is in any way different than the regular one other than the color.
Does anyone know the answer to that question?

Someone mentioned earlier its tuned differently and supposedly better. But we won't exactly know what that translates to until the gold edition comes in and someone who has both can do a comparison. 

I bought the gold version from null-audio too (I don't have the original black version), they sent an email saying there is a delay in production so we still got to wait.

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #1,675 of 3,124
We have sometimes problem with playing flac files? I rent Alien from my friend and put on my SD card, some files flac skipped and some get buzz.I wonder with what may be the result of what settings when ripping and files.

Apr 8, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #1,676 of 3,124
I now use mine with the Beoplay H6 .... AMAZING! The balance is just right sonically .... \m/

Some tracks can sound kinda lean, ie. Early 80's punk/hardcore, but everything else is just lovely:)

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #1,678 of 3,124
So the general consensus is that the Shozy Alien> DX90 in terms of price to sound ratio? Is there a noticeable difference? I am wondering because on mdrop, the dx90 is $330 now. Also, how is the alien for sensitive iems? I usually listen 1-2 clicks up from 0 so not too loud.. 

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #1,679 of 3,124
  So the general consensus is that the Shozy Alien> DX90 in terms of price to sound ratio? Is there a noticeable difference? I am wondering because on mdrop, the dx90 is $330 now. Also, how is the alien for sensitive iems? I usually listen 1-2 clicks up from 0 so not too loud.. 

In terms of volume the Alien is perfect - I listen about 4-5 clicks down from the starting volume with my SE846 and Noble K10s

I'll leave it to others to compare with the DX90

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #1,680 of 3,124

Dx90 is great but IMO the alien sounds more natural.
However the dx90 is more powerful, has a GUI and more convenient to use than the alien

That said I would go the alien any day of the week for portable use. I prefer its sound and its form factor is perfect

Users who are viewing this thread

Back