A layman multimedia guide to Immersive Sound for the technically minded (Immersive Audio and Holophony)
Mar 25, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #211 of 220
They've reached it. Been beta testing a different Sony product designed for pro use for sound to picture use since early last summer. I've listened extensively to a Realiser and the Sony system is as convincing. Makes sense as they both use similar concepts: need mics in ears and you at a dub stage or control room to get a personalized reference. Sony's loads as a plugin for Pro Tools for the time being. I think they'll have standalone software when (if) released, but even though it'll be much less expensive than the A16, the high barrier to entry (personalized measurements) may mean this is a product oriented to professionals. Dunno, how Sony will market it. BTW, this product comes with open back, purpose-built headphones along with the software. Works from 2 through 32 channels.
Thanks for the info and please keep us informed of further developments.
And does it support headtracking, or any chance it will in the future?

Mar 25, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #212 of 220
Does the Sony system require someone who knows the process help you calibrate to your own HRTF? Or are there a software setup instructions you can do yourself? The HRTF calibration seems to me to be a big leap. Another drawback I see would be that it would only be calibrated to one person at a time. An engineer and a client couldn't be listening to the same thing at the same time. I don't know how you could run a mix like that. It would take forever switching back and forth and trying to explain what to change. I don't see how it could replace a mixing stage. Maybe it is designed for sound effects editors to place things pre-mix.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #213 of 220
Another drawback I see would be that it would only be calibrated to one person at a time.
You would need one seperate instance of the virtualisation software running for each person. Just like the Smyth A16 can actually run 2 simulations to serve 2 users simultaniously each with his/her own independend PRIR and HPEQ and headtracking.
I don't know anything about Pro Tools and if that can run 2 [Edit: or more] instances of the Sony plugin at this moment but it sure should be possible to develop something for such use cases.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #214 of 220
I suppose it's possible if you have enough computing horsepower. But generally at mixes, the studio I work for has at least 5 people in the room; and lately, they've been run virtually over the internet. Only two people in the room and three people over the internet.

Mar 25, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #215 of 220
Only two people in the room and three people over the internet.
Ah, actually that makes for a very nice use case: the two people in the mixing room can use the normal monitor speakers, and the other three don't need to be in a special room at all, but instead could listen to a virtualisation of the speakers in the aforementioned mixing room.

Mar 25, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #216 of 220
Yes. I wonder if the project files could reside on more than one computer and stream the mix information to be processed on the remote computers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back