A K702 impressions thread
May 28, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #31 of 116

Quote:
  So with cans, choose them according to your amp/dac combo.  anything at the 300-500 USD level should be similar in performance, just different favors/applications. 

I agree 100 percent based on this point. I read a lot of posts where people go and buy 100 dollar amps and hope for an increase in SQ with higher priced cans/IEMs. IMO you need to shell out some money if you really want some good quality sound. 

May 29, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #33 of 116
Hey lejaz, I'm very interested in hearing your ongoing comparison of the K702 and your DFs. It's good to have a baseline for comparison -- like so many auto magazines compare two new cars at once so the pros and cons of each are highlighted. I have the DF (and K240S) and am interested in adding a set of the 702s.

I didn't notice what you are driving them with. Amp? DAC?

Power is critical, according to many comments in the threads here at HF. I currently only have my receiver headphone jack and a Presonus hp4, and am not sure they have the nards for the 702. I have to turn the hp4 volume dial most of the way around to get a normal level from the 600-ohm DFs.

May 29, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #34 of 116

Quote:
Hey lejaz, I'm very interested in hearing your ongoing comparison of the K702 and your DFs. It's good to have a baseline for comparison -- like so many auto magazines compare two new cars at once so the pros and cons of each are highlighted. I have the DF (and K240S) and am interested in adding a set of the 702s.

I didn't notice what you are driving them with. Amp? DAC?

Power is critical, according to many comments in the threads here at HF. I currently only have my receiver headphone jack and a Presonus hp4, and am not sure they have the nards for the 702. I have to turn the hp4 volume dial most of the way around to get a normal level from the 600-ohm DFs.

I've got the Little Dot mkV in my signature. Funny but the DF needs significantly more gain from that amp than the k702. The LD mkV got a lot of good reviews and you can pick up one second hand for around $200 if you're lucky. I just posted some comments on the 702 mids in another thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/494576/a-link-to-my-most-detailed-review-of-the-akg-k702 The DF still wins out for more balanced mids, IMO. Need to do more extensive listening, however. You can read a really extensive review here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/494554/review-burson-headphone-amp-160-and-akg-k702-combo

May 29, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #35 of 116
lejaz,
i recently whipped up a Mogami re-cable with Switchcraft connectors.  compared to the stock cable, the Mogami adds some warmth/body and brings outs the mids a bit more in the mix.  similar differences as with my other speaker/IC cable experiments.  stranded copper and enameled copper each have subtle, but distinct sonic differences.

you have a pm.  

May 29, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #36 of 116

Quote:
lejaz,
i recently whipped up a Mogami re-cable with Switchcraft connectors.  compared to the stock cable, the Mogami adds some warmth/body and brings outs the mids a bit more in the mix.  similar differences as with my other speaker/IC cable experiments.  stranded copper and enameled copper each have subtle, but distinct sonic differences.

you have a pm.  

I went and ordered a custom cable with the hopes of getting these results. Glad to see I'll get them. 

May 29, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #37 of 116
Listening to my K702s right now, and it's just sonic bliss. Bands like Air, Zero 7, & Tosca are just mind blowing through these headphones. Such effortless, spacious sound, it suits down tempo music perfectly. 

They are merciless with poorly recorded or encoded music however :D. No glossing over to be found!

May 29, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #39 of 116

Quote:
Listening to my K702s right now, and it's just sonic bliss. Bands like Air, Zero 7, & Tosca are just mind blowing through these headphones. Such effortless, spacious sound, it suits down tempo music perfectly. 

They are merciless with poorly recorded or encoded music however :D. No glossing over to be found!

3 of my favorite bands.  i really enjoy the K702 with electronica.

May 30, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #40 of 116
I find my 60-70s prog. rock to be new again. The expansive presentation lets you give them a bit more power to dig that last bit of decay out of the recording. I can enjoy what the mixer intended.

May 30, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #41 of 116
>"Listening to my K702s right now, and it's just sonic bliss. Bands like Air, Zero 7, & Tosca are just mind blowing through these headphones. Such effortless, spacious sound, it suits down tempo music perfectly. "

Hey, wait a minute, didn't this thread start with:

"I've been lurking here for a while and read a lot of bashing on the AKG K70x headphones.  Seems like they are one of the most hated cans around here"

Yeah, that hate just radiates out of vagarach's post. LOL.

Thanks for the references, lejaz. I missed your Little Dot abbreviation.

May 31, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #42 of 116

Quote:
>"Listening to my K702s right now, and it's just sonic bliss. Bands like Air, Zero 7, & Tosca are just mind blowing through these headphones. Such effortless, spacious sound, it suits down tempo music perfectly. "

Hey, wait a minute, didn't this thread start with:

"I've been lurking here for a while and read a lot of bashing on the AKG K70x headphones.  Seems like they are one of the most hated cans around here"

Yeah, that hate just radiates out of vagarach's post. LOL.

Thanks for the references, lejaz. I missed your Little Dot abbreviation.

I don't know why they are so polarizing...it's either love or down right hate in a lot of cases... not much in between. I fall in the in between category at the moment...closer to the love than the hate though. I'm starting to appreciate their sound signature, which is very different from what I'm used to. They do a lot of things better than the DF in spite of not being quite as 'flat', IMO...and they're in a whole other league than the 240S

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #43 of 116
So after having my K702s for 2 weeks now, I have to say that I love them. They're everything I could ever want from a phone and nothing more. 
I'm around 50 hours now (kept track with a google dock timer) and the mids/bass have smoothed out and become more prominent while the treble still remained clean and crisp. Can't wait to see how much more they improve. 

Jun 3, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #44 of 116
Has anyone here compared the comfort between the K702 and the K240 (pleather pads - older models)?

I'd really like to get a set of the K702, but I'm worried about comfort. The K240 sit on top of my ears (top part) and squeeze them down, and hurt after a bit. This is pretty much the only thing holding me back from getting the K702 (over the DT880)!

Jun 3, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #45 of 116
@lejaz: keep us posted with your impressions on the K702 and comparison against the DF (we have the same cans!)
To me, as I told you in the DFs thread, the K702 are in a different league, though I still enjoy the DFs, and I'll soon balance them.
The K702 are simply more revealing of the audio chain, I use them as reference when I swap some cables, or power cord. The DFs sound exceptionally well even with a bad source. This does not happen with the K702: they need good amplification AND good source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back