A&K SE100 or SP1000(M)?
Jan 23, 2020 at 8:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Aegwyn11

New Head-Fier
A&K's lineup kind of confuses me, so hoping for more educated opinions than me just poking around in the dark.

I'm considering a new DAP and might be thinking about either the SE100 or SP1000(M). A few questions for anyone that feels like answering:

1) Is the SP1000(M) significantly better than the SE100, enough to justify the price bump? If yes, any thoughts/details would be really appreciated.
2) Is there a noticable difference in SQ between the SP1000 and SP1000M?

Thanks in advance!

Jan 23, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #2 of 13
A&K's lineup kind of confuses me, so hoping for more educated opinions than me just poking around in the dark.

I'm considering a new DAP and might be thinking about either the SE100 or SP1000(M). A few questions for anyone that feels like answering:

1) Is the SP1000(M) significantly better than the SE100, enough to justify the price bump? If yes, any thoughts/details would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
I've owned both, and currently use se100 as my primary DAP. For me the se100 is the sweet spot. While I loved the 1000m when I owned it, it was just a modest improvement over the se100. The se100 for me has a more open soundstage. While the 1000m has more detail, the upper mids came across slightly congested. I bought my current se100 used for $800, you can't beat that.

Jan 23, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #3 of 13

Thanks in advance!

ive auditioned both, and i preferred the sound quality of the SP1000M. SE100, for my ears, is on the warmer side; SP1000M is on the brighter, clearer side (which i prefer.)
there you are, two replies with different tastes as to sound quality. i suggest you AUDITION both the SE100 and the SP1000M before you decide which one to buy.

Jan 25, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #4 of 13
Thanks for the thoughts. I live pretty much in the middle of nowhere, out in the country of the Midwest, so auditioning is tough for me. I'm also probably going to buy used since I'm not in a huge hurry, and I refuse to audition from a dealer that I'm not going to buy from (probably emotions left over from when I worked in a high end audio store, drove me nuts when I'd spend a time with a customer only for them to walk out empty handed). I'm guessing I'd be happy with either, so it just becomes whether I'm willing to spend the extra money on the 1000M or not.

Feb 12, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #5 of 13
I've owned both, and currently use se100 as my primary DAP. For me the se100 is the sweet spot. While I loved the 1000m when I owned it, it was just a modest improvement over the se100. The se100 for me has a more open soundstage. While the 1000m has more detail, the upper mids came across slightly congested. I bought my current se100 used for $800, you can't beat that.

My desktop setup is Mac -> Jotunheim Multibit -> Mr Speakers Ether C using 4-pin XLR. I'd like to replace the Mac with an SE100. Is it powerful enough to run my Ether C if I get the 2.5mm balanced cable or should I leave the Jotty in the chain? For outdoor use, I'll just use the 3.5mm with IEMs. I'm way more concerned with great listening indoors with my Ether Cs. Thanks!

Feb 12, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 13
My desktop setup is Mac -> Jotunheim Multibit -> Mr Speakers Ether C using 4-pin XLR. I'd like to replace the Mac with an SE100. Is it powerful enough to run my Ether C if I get the 2.5mm balanced cable or should I leave the Jotty in the chain? For outdoor use, I'll just use the 3.5mm with IEMs. I'm way more concerned with great listening indoors with my Ether Cs. Thanks!
I'm no expert on your Ether c's, but my hunch is you would probably want more power than the se100 can deliver...but I'm not positive. I'm sure it can drive it, just maybe not to its best potential.

Feb 12, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #8 of 13
What headphones did you use? Which cables? Anything in the path?
See, that's the thing, I only like IEM's, not cans... My current setup is se100 with Cleopatra cable and EE Valkyries. The other is a CL2 with a PWAudio Limited cable. Both sound fantastic. The Eros II cable was my least favorite of the 3, but the CL2's are burning in, they need another 100 hours...then they will sound neutral. They start off a tad hot until you get 100 hours on them. min. They really benefit from 200+ hours...

Feb 12, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #9 of 13
See, that's the thing, I only like IEM's, not cans... My current setup is se100 with Cleopatra cable and EE Valkyries. The other is a CL2 with a PWAudio Limited cable. Both sound fantastic. The Eros II cable was my least favorite of the 3, but the CL2's are burning in, they need another 100 hours...then they will sound neutral. They start off a tad hot until you get 100 hours on them. min. They really benefit from 200+ hours...

How close to max did you need to set the volume? Every try it in a noisy environment?

Feb 13, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #10 of 13
How close to max did you need to set the volume? Every try it in a noisy environment?
OH, yeah. For IEMs it's plenty. I'm in Starbucks right now with CL2 and my volume is 110/150. The Valkyries average about 100-105/150. Perfect isolation. The CL2 has deep insertion so it isolates well. Valkyries less so.

Feb 13, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #11 of 13
I use the SE100 with Empyreans, IEMs, OPPO PM1 and Stellia (all balanced out) and have no problems with power. As a matter of fact, I have resorted to listening to the SE100, only. No more desktop sets.

Feb 13, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #12 of 13
I use the SE100 with Empyreans, IEMs, OPPO PM1 and Stellia (all balanced out) and have no problems with power. As a matter of fact, I have resorted to listening to the SE100, only. No more desktop sets.
Nice.

Apr 14, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #13 of 13
I have the same opinion as you. SP1000M has a thicker note which make the presentation a little congested, especially in those complicated tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back