A JOURNEY INTO VINYL
Dec 28, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #61 of 128
great reading the last few posts on the history of music playback and you guys varying experiences. I'm quite new to this so appriciate the info. great points on modern information overload and the intamcy of vinyl. I've been to my first record store in February, just a random store in the middle of no where in Orlando, the experience of just walking around browsing records, seeing something interesting and spinning it up was great. the intsmate and tactile experience of just being in the store was in of itself an experience. that's where I just happened upon an original 1979 pressing of a Japan Mozart import (otmar suitner conducting nhk symphony orchestra) . I'm not sure if the store knew what they had, but I paid about $20 for it. :)

I also picked up these other 2 in the same store for not much more :

have not even listened to those yet but I will later today :)

The whole record collecting thing is truly a unique part of vinyl. I mean it’s where the experience starts to get real. As your not just listening to music but getting involved with this whole culture. In general maybe music lovers get taken off with going to concerts or musical performers traveling due to their professional responsibilities?

But vinyl for me was a very social thing, meeting fellow collectors and sharing books and stories. It’s some kind of whole lifestyle if you let it. Going to buy records far away or simply searching for them. There is a total treasure hunt thing going on. I’ve gone to some very edgy neighborhoods, stayed in small rooms in the back of pawn shops. Still if I had to do it over again I think I would do it a smarter way now. The thing is there are collections around. And while there are record retailers that are always looking for great collections, there is no reason why someone could not stumble on a few good collections in their life.

If I was going to do it all over again I would have 10K to just work with finding some style of collection. Especially if their like in music matched your own then there is no reason why you couldn’t find some super nice collection that had everything. The idea I have is due to the internet people can learn what could be around. If they were into Classical they could simply concentrate on labels and let the labels guide them in a purchase. It may take years but eventually you would find someone with your future record collection. Half of the journey is the learning process. So that means that the learning does come with one record at a time. After a while you know what you like and are substantiated in your musical taste. Still why couldn’t someone basically buy enough records to study for 5-10 years ahead? So just kind of knowing what the right price would be to pay could allow someone to maybe find a complete intact total collection.

What I’ve seen is at times........is that a special collection has a consistent quality.........so way less surprises than paying retail for records one at a time. Your basically buying wholesale. This is what big time collectors do. They buy whole collections then after looking them over for a coupe months; sell off what they don’t want and do it again. That has to cost less than paying $60 a piece for new records one at a time. That is unless you really like new records only. I’ve seen some very well kept collections. Remember too those records were purchased new one at a time most often, if it’s a special collection. So your not really buying old used records but well kept pre-owned and loved records.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #62 of 128
great reading the last few posts on the history of music playback and you guys varying experiences. I'm quite new to this so appriciate the info. great points on modern information overload and the intamcy of vinyl. I've been to my first record store in February, just a random store in the middle of no where in Orlando, the experience of just walking around browsing records, seeing something interesting and spinning it up was great. the intimate and tactile experience of just being in the store was in of itself an experience. that's where I just happened upon an original 1979 pressing of a Japan Mozart import (otmar suitner conducting nhk symphony orchestra) . I'm not sure if the store knew what they had, but I paid about $20 for it. :)

IMG_20201228_041836.jpg

IMG_20201228_041854.jpg

I also picked up these other 2 in the same store for not much more :

IMG_20201228_041911.jpgIMG_20201228_041937.jpg

have not even listened to those yet but I will later today :)
If you’re into classical music keep an eye out for a “direct to disc” label ... rare but maybe out there and unknown in S/H stores,
They were made by carting a complete cutting lathe to concerts ..

Dec 28, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #63 of 128
The whole record collecting thing is truly a unique part of vinyl. I mean it’s where the experience starts to get real. As your not just listening to music but getting involved with this whole culture. In general maybe music lovers get taken off with going to concerts or musical performers traveling due to their professional responsibilities?

But vinyl for me was a very social thing, meeting fellow collectors and sharing books and stories. It’s some kind of whole lifestyle if you let it. Going to buy records far away or simply searching for them. There is a total treasure hunt thing going on. I’ve gone to some very edgy neighborhoods, stayed in small rooms in the back of pawn shops. Still if I had to do it over again I think I would do it a smarter way now. The thing is there are collections around. And while there are record retailers that are always looking for great collections, there is no reason why someone could not stumble on a few good collections in their life.

If I was going to do it all over again I would have 10K to just work with finding some style of collection. Especially if their like in music matched your own then there is no reason why you couldn’t find some super nice collection that had everything. The idea I have is due to the internet people can learn what could be around. If they were into Classical they could simply concentrate on labels and let the labels guide them in a purchase. It may take years but eventually you would find someone with your future record collection. Half of the journey is the learning process. So that means that the learning does come with one record at a time. After a while you know what you like and are substantiated in your musical taste. Still why couldn’t someone basically buy enough records to study for 5-10 years ahead? So just kind of knowing what the right price would be to pay could allow someone to maybe find a complete intact total collection.

What I’ve seen is at times........is that a special collection has a consistent quality.........so way less surprises than paying retail for records one at a time. Your basically buying wholesale. This is what big time collectors do. They buy whole collections then after looking them over for a coupe months; sell off what they don’t want and do it again. That has to cost less than paying $60 a piece for new records one at a time. That is unless you really like new records only. I’ve seen some very well kept collections. Remember too those records were purchased new one at a time most often, if it’s a special collection. So your not really buying old used records but well kept pre-owned and loved records.
Good idea,
if you did that on a regular basis it would be worth investing in good record cleaning machine ... anywhere from $300 and up ...

Dec 28, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #64 of 128
If you’re into classical music keep an eye out for a “direct to disc” label ... rare but maybe out there and unknown in S/H stores,

I actually have 1 direct to disc record :

FrVS4KT.png

And i actually like a large variety of genres, classical is not my first goto but i do enjoy it when in the mood.

I'd say Metal, Rock, Pop are my primary genres. Love alot of dance and edm stuff too.
And recently i've gotten a real big liking for jazz. Just sounds so good on vinyl.

I've spun up this album a few times and man i love it:

OY9KfFY.png

Just the two of us, an oldie but on vinyl, yes, the steel pans and sax are amazing.

Dec 28, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #65 of 128

FrVS4KT.png

And i actually like a large variety of genres, classical is not my first goto but i do enjoy it when in the mood.

I'd say Metal, Rock, Pop are my primary genres. Love alot of dance and edm stuff too.
And recently i've gotten a real big liking for jazz. Just sounds so good on vinyl.

OY9KfFY.png

Just the two of us, an oldie but on vinyl, yes, the steel pans and sax are amazing.
A lot say that about Jazz and that may come down to the recording done in clubs as well as studio’s without close mic’s and post mixing,
gives a more natural timbre to instruments as well as the reverbs from the venues ... sounds ... alive ..

Dec 28, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #66 of 128

FrVS4KT.png

OY9KfFY.png

A few thoughts from an old vinyl guy...

Grover's Winelight...there is a "Nautilus Super Disc" 1/2 speed mastered vinyl LP of "Winelight" that completely blows away the regular vinyl and the CD. It is the LP I play when I am showing someone how good Vinyl can sound. I always have to assist them in picking their jaw up, off the floor. The Nautilus Super Disc version is quite remarkable, you will want nothing to do with the CD or the regular vinyl after you have experienced it.

Cleaning older records. Do the "Wood Glue" method. Works fantastically well, just requires some practice, and plenty of patience. Done correctly it vastly exceeds any wet method of cleaning. It can be messy, so there is that...but if wood glue does not make your record sound new again, it is physically damaged and ready for the trash bin.

The big joy for me is LP's I own that were never sold as CD's. I have quite a few. I also have many records that did get sold on CD, but the vinyl versions sound vastly better.

Early in this thread the comment was made that in vinyl's were "details" not heard in the digital files. I personally have not experienced that, Digital with modern DAC's almost always have more details...

What I do find "better" about vinyl is the staging. There is something very natural and believable about the sound stage / presentation in well mastered vinyl that is not as good in digital files. Hard to pinpoint it in words but it can easily be appreciated, when comparing.

I love Vinyl and wish more, knew its accolades.

Cheers, all...

-- JV --

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #67 of 128

Direct to disc LP:
"SUGAR LOAF EXPRESS" - FEATURING LEE RITENOUR - JVC DIRECT DISC LP

This was a studio effort, direct to disc. Recorded, pressed and sold in Japan. Can often be found inexpensively. It has remarkable sound quality.

:xf_cool:

Dec 28, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #68 of 128

Grover's Winelight...there is a "Nautilus Super Disc" 1/2 speed mastered vinyl LP of "Winelight" that completely blows away the regular vinyl and the CD. It is the LP I play when I am showing someone how good Vinyl can sound. I always have to assist them in picking their jaw up, off the floor. The Nautilus Super Disc version is quite remarkable, you will want nothing to do with the CD or the regular vinyl after you have experienced it.

Cleaning older records. Do the "Wood Glue" method. Works fantastically well, just requires some practice, and plenty of patience. Done correctly it vastly exceeds any wet method of cleaning. It can be messy, so there is that...but if wood glue does not make your record sound new again, it is physically damaged and ready for the trash bin.

The big joy for me is LP's I own that were never sold as CD's. I have quite a few. I also have many records that did get sold on CD, but the vinyl versions sound vastly better.

Early in this thread the comment was made that in vinyl's were "details" not heard in the digital files. I personally have not experienced that, Digital with modern DAC's almost always have more details...

What I do find "better" about vinyl is the staging. There is something very natural and believable about the sound stage / presentation in well mastered vinyl that is not as good in digital files. Hard to pinpoint it in words but it can easily be appreciated, when comparing.

Cheers, all...

-- JV --

do you have a link to the winelight album you're referring too? I really love the album, I'd love to get my hands on that super disc, pm me if u have a purchase link please.

edit: think I just found it on discogs, ima snipe it :D

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #70 of 128

Cheers, all...

-- JV --
As one who also started out with Vinyl I too wish more would take the time to experience the difference good Vinyl replay makes, it’s all too easy to get lost in DAC chips, over sampling, vs NOS and ladder DAC’s all of which are trying to do what Vinyl does so well, signal integrity, not saying that Vinyl is the perfect or only way, you only have to look at the extremes of Vinyl replay, from conical and elliptical stylus up to line trace and other exotic profiles needing less tracking force and ever more precise and delicate tonearms, moving magnet vs moving coil designs and turntables that need both exact speed control and isolation, all trying to get closer to the original recordings sense of things like soundstage, both In width and depth and timbre of instruments which in part rely on the accuracy of transient and low level signals which in digital are divided into bits and then needs accurate reconstruction in both level and timing, if the relative level of smaller signals isn’t accurate depth of field is affected, while transients that are not as perfectly timed as possible affect both soundstage width and instrument timbre, but the trade off is convenience and expense, new Vinyl isn’t cheap nor is the turntable etc needed to extract the best from it, then there’s the cleaning and maintenance plus the fact that most Vinyl albums last only 20 minutes or less per side, so Vinyl as the only source is impractical in the digital age, music anywhere you want it, any time, and any title you wish at the touch of a button but it can serve as a valuable reference when comparing digital components, not that I’m saying Vinyl is some “holy grail” but merely as a reference to compare the ever increasing digital solutions all working to improving the listening experience, measurements are a valuable tool for discarding the obviously sub standard but they can’t explain how music makes the individual feel,
For me at least it’s similar to watching a movie vs YouTube videos, Vinyl Is more like watching a movie where you dedicate the time needed for the experience, but I still watch YouTube videos ...

Mar 14, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #71 of 128
Sent you a PM....yes, you MUST have a copy of it, if you love Winelight!

Cheers!!
1615755993737.png

1615756026605.png

1615756039638.png

Finally arrived!

And it lives up to the hype.

:D

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #72 of 128
Nice.

May 10, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #73 of 128
I am pretty new to vinyl But I have dived in head first. I almost exclusively listen on my speakers though. This feed will inspire some headphone time on it though. I love to have a glass of red and just relax with a great record. Mostly my collecting is limited to records that I love to hear the entire album. If I am jumping around, I will use digital as it is just easier. One thing that I discovered is that the phono stage is extremely important and can hugely impact the sound. I changed from a Avid Pellar to my Goldnote PH10/PS10 combination and the sound was obviously more dynamic with a greater soundstage. I every time I have my Dad over (he lives in Kansas and I am in Denver) I purchase 10-15 used records that I know he will enjoy. We listen together and then I send him home with those records. I set up a nice little turntable/speaker set up in his home. Cheers my vinyl loving friends.
202EC4C3-4455-49C3-A7BF-5A347C44CCA6.jpeg

May 10, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #75 of 128
I am pretty new to vinyl But I have dived in head first. I almost exclusively listen on my speakers though. This feed will inspire some headphone time on it though. I love to have a glass of red and just relax with a great record. Mostly my collecting is limited to records that I love to hear the entire album. If I am jumping around, I will use digital as it is just easier. One thing that I discovered is that the phono stage is extremely important and can hugely impact the sound. I changed from a Avid Pellar to my Goldnote PH10/PS10 combination and the sound was obviously more dynamic with a greater soundstage. I every time I have my Dad over (he lives in Kansas and I am in Denver) I purchase 10-15 used records that I know he will enjoy. We listen together and then I send him home with those records. I set up a nice little turntable/speaker set up in his home. Cheers my vinyl loving friends.202EC4C3-4455-49C3-A7BF-5A347C44CCA6.jpeg
awesome stuff. I'm looking to transition into speakers myself, currently building a dedicated speaker listening room. plan to have my records on display, a few posters, and a kick ass spesker/vinyl setup. some leather recliners, and that will be just for detoxing and taking in some tunes with a Glass of red. may keep my headphone rig at the pc for work though. and I may or may not upgrade my player from the regar p10 to maybe technics sl-1000r. eta for new room is year end or early next year, depends on construction guys, which are pretty swamped in cayman right now due to everyone wanting to come here due to being covid free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back