a horrible story of loss and sorrow (solved);
Nov 5, 2008 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

qusp

Member of the Trade: Twisted Cables
I have just heard a horrible story; noremedy has lost his SE530 and doesn't have any way of replacing them for a long time. tell me if i'm wrong but isn't there a really good sense of community here on head-fi?? he doesn't have any other portables like many of the members here, so its not as simple as that

I can't even bare to think of how crushed i'd be if this happened to my SE530's

this is his story

Quote:

Just thought i would share with you my sheer disappointment that i lost my beloved se530's today, and right now am in mourning. Its a huge deal for anyone to loose them, but im gonna be going without IEM's for a year or so now

he says they fell out of his pocket; man thats harsh.
frown.gif

now what I propose is that we try and pool together to try and at least get him some soundmagic or something good value but portable. well if we can do better than soundmagic then so be it. I dont know noremedy from a bar of soap, but i'm willing to start the donations at $5 by paypal i'm not sure how we go about actually pooling the money but paypal seems to be the best bet. I have a paypal account, probably he has a paypal account; I dunno we can talk about that as we go on. i'm happy to help with any logistics but since I live in australia obviously I cant actually deliver them perhaps we can just get them shipped to him.

noremedy has no idea that i'm doing this I haven't even hinted at it.

any interest please register a donation here by way of a post

Nov 6, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 39
seems i've misjudged the generosity of this place, I know i'm no supremos but I would've expected at least a reply. why am i the only one willing to put out a random act of kindness. its not like we're shooting for the starts here. could also get some KSC75's for $10USD and i've already volunteered $5 of that.

come on give a little
icon10.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 39
Hmmm. IMHO, this is a bad idea.

How bout my DAP and IEM mugged and dont have anything else with me? Then another 10 or so fellow members pop up and saying that they are going through the same situation? Do we need to attend all of them?

Nov 6, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #4 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm. IMHO, this is a bad idea.

How bout my DAP and IEM mugged and dont have anything else with me? Then another 10 or so fellow members pop up and saying that they are going through the same situation? Do we need to attend all of them?

True... Although that argument could technically be applied to any individual or organization that asks for charity of any kind I guess.

In all honesty, I don't think it's a good idea to start this either. I feel for the guy; I would be pissed if it happened to me. But then again, it's also my own fault for not calling up State Farm and doing a $40 a year personal belongings insurance plan. Accidents happen and it's a kick in the balls, but we have to learn and grow from them.

Case in point, the US government bailing out companies that are failing because people took out mortgages so large they could never even dream of paying them back. By bailing them out, others are encouraged to slack since they might receive the same treatment.

What are some other thoughts you guys have? This is interesting to me.

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #5 of 39
i'm interested too I just felt for the guy and figured that with soundmagic going for around the $20 mark and him still having an amp etc he could really get the most out of them.plus we'd get a full featured review out of him too I reckon. I see both of your points though, but I think every now and then its nice to just randomly help somebody. I've seen several threads with basically the same premise (actually for much more expensive items) and they got off the ground because the member was well known; to me thats a bit unfair to discount it on that basis. any more thoughts? with one more donation I could get him some KSC75 know what I mean?? I dont think that all of a sudden we will get flooded with people trying on the same thing and expecting it; head-fiers are pretty good at smelling a rat. Any person that was able to scam a whole community without anyone figuring it out probably deserves them or needs them REALLY BADLY. I'm not suggesting that we start a new tradition; just a random act of kindness thats all

anyway I guess we'll see

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #6 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoNtO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True... Although that argument could technically be applied to any individual or organization that asks for charity of any kind I guess.

In all honesty, I don't think it's a good idea to start this either. I feel for the guy; I would be pissed if it happened to me. But then again, it's also my own fault for not calling up State Farm and doing a $40 a year personal belongings insurance plan. Accidents happen and it's a kick in the balls, but we have to learn and grow from them.

Case in point, the US government bailing out companies that are failing because people took out mortgages so large they could never even dream of paying them back. By bailing them out, others are encouraged to slack since they might receive the same treatment.

What are some other thoughts you guys have? This is interesting to me.

not really an appropriate metaphor; in that case although maybe a bit deluded; those people knew exactly what they were doing and then wanted you to pay for their negligence. in this case the poor guy just had a bad day and maybe his brain faded I dont know; but apparently it was at college so someone is a happy camper

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #8 of 39
qusp...if ur really that moved into helping him out...u could just buy some for him since ur talking about the cheaper ones...and why cant he have IEMS for about a year now?

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by skamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"a horrible story of loss and sorrow"? Are you on crack? Ever heard of millions of people starving? Tsunamis? Earth quakes? Hurricanes?

IEMs are just stuff for crying out loud. Get a reality check.

The 'overdramatic' train just left buddy. Hop aboard the 'serious' train though..I heard it gets overreactions from people.

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #11 of 39
Ok so he got a little melodramatic in his title. I think we all got a good laugh with that one.

His point was that since we do help others through our opinions and this is a community all be it wacked, it's not unreasonable for someone to expect a little compassion here. I have at least four cheap IEM's that I don't use anymore just going to waste.

So in my eye giving them to someone who at least cares enough about them to come here and learn about them is just finding a new home for them.

I went to the thread and offered a pair of Senn CX500's I don't use. Barely even burned in but my triple driver customs spoiled me so I just wrote off the Senns. Now I have a worthwhile place to send them.

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Slippery slope' but I'll take a slide

I have a pair of Sennheiser CX500's barely used i'll give him. Just PM me his address and I'll even pay the shipping !!

^
Here's your man OP.

For me, if I decided to donate some of my money for a good cause (which I have done few times,) this definitely wouldn't be it.

Not only might this bring future head-fiers into begging other members, which I think isn't allowed on these forums, but there are places where the money I decide to donate can be spent towards feeding and saving the lives of those in dire need.

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by skamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"a horrible story of loss and sorrow"? Are you on crack? Ever heard of millions of people starving? Tsunamis? Earth quakes? Hurricanes?

IEMs are just stuff for crying out loud. Get a reality check.

LOL I think it is you that needs a reality check. I already donate to a couple of charities. do you think of that whenever you shout your friend a beer or something to eat when they're strapped. whats wrong with doing a good deed evrynow and agin??? but by the sounds of it you dont know the meaning of the word kindness or generousity. I doubt that you would piss oin you grandmother if she was on fire by the sounds of you
confused_face(1).gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok so he got a little melodramatic in his title. I think we all got a good laugh with that one.

His point was that since we do help others through our opinions and this is a community all be it wacked, it's not unreasonable for someone to expect a little compassion here. I have at least four cheap IEM's that I don't use anymore just going to waste.

So in my eye giving them to someone who at least cares enough about them to come here and learn about them is just finding a new home for them.

I went to the thread and offered a pair of Senn CX500's I don't use. Barely even burned in but my triple driver customs spoiled me so I just wrote off the Senns. Now I have a worthwhile place to send them.

perfect boomy; if I had any cheapies lying around then thats what I would be doing. I can hardly offer him an unused pair of Ibuds
biggrin.gif

if no-one was going to join in then I would've just grabbed him some koss; in fact I already PMed a member about it but got no reply.

i'll tell you what boomy; i'll pay the shipping and you send him the buds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back