a headphones lifespan?
Apr 26, 2002 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 18
I wouldn't worry too much......I have two pair of headphones, one dynamic and one electrostatic, that are a bit over 20 years old. They're both still going strong. Of course, too much power can destroy the drivers in an instant.......but your ears would most likely blow as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2002 at 2:34 AM Post #3 of 18
Yup, joelongwood is 100% correct. Us oldtimers tend to have a few cans in the museum
wink.gif
I have never, NEVER, had a pair of headphone drivers "wear out" in 40+ years of headphone listening. Everything else gives out much sooner. The closest to "wearing out" I've ever had anything come to is a pair of electret headphones which I bought in the late '70's and still have. The electrostatic charge has partially depleted from the diaphragms such that their overall sensitivity is slightly lower than it used to be and they are no longer matched in sensitivity, one side being about 3db more sensitive than the other.

Cheers!

Apr 27, 2002 at 5:41 AM Post #4 of 18
I've got a pair of Koss Pro 4As that my dad gave me. They've gotta be from the 70s (maybe even late 60s?). Anyway, still working fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

Apr 27, 2002 at 6:28 AM Post #5 of 18
Got a pair of Stax from 80's--sound good--bought them used
& salesman claimed a little old lady just used them on Sundays before going to church
biggrin.gif

...so how do the electrostatics lose charge?? any tricks to prolongevity?

Jun 16, 2002 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 18
So I could play a set of headphones for 10000 hours and they will sound the same as if I played them after 100 hours ???

I know brand new headphones sound slightly different than a pair that had a 100 hours on them.

I thought if you were to play headphones for 24 hours a day for 3 years straight non-stop at regular volume wouldn't the sound wear out or degrade slightly ?

Jun 16, 2002 at 9:08 AM Post #7 of 18
I would say that some of it depends on the construction of the drivers...

On cheaper 'phones there is a small risk that the bonding agent that holds the diaphragm to the surround could give out... I had that happen on a pair of cheap Ross 'phones, and the sound went all distorted...

As long as you don't get them wet, and don't get them stupidly hot (like putting them into the oven
wink.gif
) the drive units should last indefinetly

Of course, there is always the fact that the magnets can use some of their 'pull' (after about 50 years AFAIK) - but even then. that is reportedly easily fixable.

Jun 16, 2002 at 9:58 AM Post #8 of 18
I'm more worried about the cable or its connection to the coil getting damaged inside or something like that, especially on headphones like my DT831 or W2002 where it is not replaceable...
And especially given my nasty habit of stepping on the cord when standing up or walking around.

Jun 16, 2002 at 10:07 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by zzz
I'm more worried about the cable or its connection to the coil getting damaged inside or something like that, especially on headphones like my DT831 or W2002 where it is not replaceable...
And especially given my nasty habit of stepping on the cord when standing up or walking around.

Voice coils, as long as you heed the advice of the maximum power input, should last indefinetly also... I guess as long as you don't get them wet, and they corrode... but I daresay they're protected from that

And, the cable problem... as long as you don't have too large a head, I've found the saviour in that department is the headband... its quite good what that extra two or three inches of headband on either side of your head lets you get away with (although it doesn't half hurt your ears
frown.gif
)

Jun 21, 2002 at 1:45 AM Post #10 of 18
DON'T WORRY. Be happy
smily_headphones1.gif
. Just put a few bucks away in an envelope for a new pair and put it in a safe place. Chances are, you will never use it. You earphone pads will need to be replaced for sure. Perhaps cable. I would research where to get new pads. Like my Sony 7506's only lasted 2 years (pads). I have some old Koss HV/X that use heavy foam pads, and they last about 5 years, and i have replaced them 3 times!

Save some cash for equipment repair, or replacement, and just enjoy.
tongue.gif

Jun 21, 2002 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 18
My oldest "quality" cans are some original Senn HD414's and Koss Pro 4AA's- both dating back to the late 70's. I bought the 414's for the open sound stage and crisp definition of highs & mids, but always found the bass to be lacking. I got the Pro 4AA's for the wonderful full bass response. The cans were complementary & I used them to listen to different musical styles. Today the 414 sounds about the same as it always has, but the Pro 4AA is intolerable. It sounds very thin with little soundstage and LESS bass than the 414's. While I know auditory memory can be less than completely reliable, my personal comparison between these cans should be valid. The Pro 4AA has deteriorated markedly over 25+ years while the 414 (original in every way except for stock replacement pads) does not seem to have changed.
Moving up along the time line, I have a 10 yr old Sony MDR-V6 & bought another V-6 last year. Both sounded identical (before I moded the newer V-6 with Beyer velour pads & some damping behind the drivers).

IMHO- Most cans will be broken or lost long before they "wear out". Buy the cans that sound best to you & enjoy!!!

Jon

Jun 21, 2002 at 4:12 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by zzz

Totally off topic, but is that an aardvark in your sig or are you just pleased to see us?

Feb 22, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #14 of 18
Woah... four year old thread bump alert!
eek.gif
Welcome to the forum SennheiserHD, and please don't bump threads this old unless there's an extremely good reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back