Dec 28, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #46 of 76
duplicate post
confused_face_2.gif

Dec 28, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #47 of 76
What are your musical preferences?
75% electronica, 25% postrock, jazz & classical

Where do you listen to music mostly?
PC

What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random?
Rather when it's late...

As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own?
Own rig, [anything] -> MS Pro Ulti. No wonder, I've tinkered it towards my own listening habits, and I'm not too fond of the usual "high res" stuff, which has unsufficient musicality IMO.

Do you prefer speakers over headphones?
No.

Do you prefer IEMs over headphones?
No.

Would you call yourself an
Average volume listener

Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear.
n/a

If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system?
neutral

What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice?
Listening abilities and -habits change in the course of time

Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally? 
I've heard most Stax models, don't like the way they sound. I'm definetely more biased towards dynamical & ortho sound.

Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why?
Alessandro. Neutrality, mids and musicality.

Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how?
Joined as basshead, since ~2006 I think it's the mids where the music happens.

If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound?
Don't care about amplification. Tubes look nicer
biggrin.gif

List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers
Amon Tobin, Matthew Herbert, Monolake, Arvo Pärt, David Sylvian

Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard?
I've always hated the venyl scratch and crackle sound, already back in the 70s & 80s. MP3 was obviously invented for me personally.

What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own?
Don't care about amplification.

Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well.
I buy lots of stuff in the Beyer online spare parts shop, and at Thomann.de & Reichelt.de

Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you.
PinkFloyd, Rhytmdevils, SPWild, Wualta, EddieE, ApatN

Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for?
Blocking other fellow people off
evil_smiley.gif

Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future?
Less praise & can't wait, more tolerance of critical posts

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #48 of 76
I'd just like to take the opportunity to thank all those who named me as the most helpful person on Head-Fi. It's not often one gets to share a forum with such a great bunch of guys, and I hope  we have a long and fruitful...

..eh, what? No one did? You're joking!

Bloody pikers!

very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #49 of 76
  • What are your musical preferences? Almost exclusively alternative rock (~36% metal, ~33% punk, ~30%indie)
  • Where do you listen to music mostly? At my desk, in my room.
  • What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random? All hours of the day but mostly at night.
  • As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own? My own is the best I've heard and mine is nothing special.  I probably heard better in a hi-fi shop but I can't enjoy music unless I'm in bed or at my desk.
  • Do you prefer speakers over headphones? Yes, but for the same money I find headphones significantly better.
  • Do you prefer IEMs over headphones? Same as with speakers, full size is better but under a certain budget I would probably go with an IEM.  I appreciate IEMs for their different presentation and think most of what they don't do is low on my list of priorities so they are good value for money for me.
  • Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener C, not so fantastic DB meters tell me I listen at just under 80db
  • Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear. Porcupine Tree's Deadwing and Jimmy Eat World's Clarity but two alone is not enough.  Most importantly, those are my favourite albums and represent my music well IMO.
  • If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system? Neutral, my taste in music is too eclectic for one fun sound signature to suit all
  • What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice? Don't ignore the smaller brands
  • Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally? Never heard one
  • Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why? Haven't heard enough from one brand to have built up any kind of loyalty
  • Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how? I've learnt to appreciate "rougher" more nuanced recordings as opposed to the more polished ones I used to gravitate to but I don't feel like this was brought about by Head-Fi.
  • If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound? Haven't heard enough tube amps to say that I prefer it over SS.  I have a hybrid now and enjoy it.
  • List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers. Jimmy Eat World, Porcupine Tree, Death Cab for Cutie and it's fuzzy after that.
  • Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard? Experienced it but I'm not experienced
  • What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own? Some Marantz CDP, don't remember what it was
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well. Headphonic (www.headphones.com.au)
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you. lJokerl and ClieOS, both with their very extensive IEM comparisons
  • Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for? Not really.
  • Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future? Nothing wrong with the website itself

Dec 28, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #50 of 76
What are your musical preferences?

I listen to most genres that do not involve electric guitar, which is my least favourite instrument. I do, however, listen to jazz with electric guitar. I listen to a lot of psychadelic ambient music, some oldschool goa, Classical, Jazz etc.

Where do you listen to music mostly

Bedroom.

What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random?

Favourite time to listen is 3 am. I either listen late at night or right after I get up, very early in the morning. Usually between 1 am and 6 am for two to four hours depending on the day.

As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own?

Stax Lambda Signature. I have one in the mail at the moment. I've heard headphones some might consider more "high end" (omega 2), but I didn't like it as much...

Do you prefer speakers over headphones?

Apples and oranges.

Do you prefer IEMs over headphones?

Largely depends on the headphones in question. Etymotic ER4S do a lot of things more "right" than the vast majority of full-size headphones. That said, I think larger size headphones have greater potential .

Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener

Extremely low. So low in fact, I can't hear open headphones put infront of my face at about 1 foot in all but the most silent of environments. Sometimes I will turn up depending on the environment (eg a noisier meet). I've actually had the problem of, in many cases, not enough control over the pot in the amp, because getting above channel imbalance means it is already too loud. That includes a gain 3 amp.

Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear.

Huge variety, probably not worth mentioning. I often do use Pleiadians - Maia (particularly a turn-around in the fourth minute) to test for congestion.

If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system?

Neutral....

What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice?

Head-fi has a lot of bad members, but some very good ones. Smaller communties are, by and large (pun intended), much much better for this type of hobby. Don't trust the ears of most of the members - only yours and people you trust (surprise!)

Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally? 

Yes. My limited experience with electrostats leads me to believe that they are vastly superior to dynamics and orthos in every way. So much so I'll probably never be interested in a dynamic headphone again for anything other than collecting.

Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why?

Not exactly, but I am a big fan of headphones that use either free field or diffuse field equalisation. Stax and etymotic, for example. I wouldn't stab someone in the eye for not liking them, of course.

Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since join in
head-fi? If so, how?

...huh? Nothing has really changed.

If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound?

Honestly do not care. I find solid state more convenient to use, but couldn't care less as to what an amp uses. Tube dacs seem like an hilarious idea to me.

List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers

No can do, I like albums, not artists. I actually really enjoy playing the music of Chopin and Rachmaninov on piano.

Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard?

No comment.

What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own?

Unable to comment

Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well.

Headphonic in Perth. Great community, great store.

Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you.

Hens, xnor, n3rdling (via PM), AmanGeorge, jjinh and many others outside of head-fi. Too many to list, really. I also think Spritzer is a very helpful member (or was...).

Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for?

I dunno, I've used one as a microphone before, though (don't ask).

Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future?

Fix the goddamn forum so I don't have to type out code in wordpad to achieve seperate lines. My other issues with head-fi are more or less beyond repair because of the exponential growth that takes place in a community like this

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #51 of 76
sorry i dont have the time to answer the survey but i would just like to comment on one thing on how to improve headfi.

i wont talk about about the techincalities or my frustrations after huddler appeared.
i just want to see the member's lounge active again. its like a ghost city right now.we need more people like Patrcik to bring life in it again(ya you should admit it,he was funny). i dont spend any time reading reviews now or interested in any headphone/gear.i would like to see old members again in the lounge and new members participating in conversations unrelated to audio.

Dec 28, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #52 of 76
   1. What are your musical preferences?
       Baroque, Classical, Reggae, Jazz, Soft/Hard/Metal Rock, New Age, Easy Listening, Motown, R&B, even some Rap.
   2. Where do you listen to music mostly?
       Home.
   3. What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random?
       Evening on weekdays, random on weekends or holidays.
   4. As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own?
       My own. I've never listened to others' setup.
   5. Do you prefer speakers over headphones?
       When I had my full range system, I would still prefer it over headphones.
   6. Do you prefer IEMs over headphones?
       I listen to both about equally.
   7. Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener.
       C & D.
   8. Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear.
       Piano - Nojima Plays Liszt, CD Reference Recordings
       Jazz - LA4 - Pavane Pour Une Infunte Defunte, CD E&W Made In Japan, Al Di Meola - Elegant Gypsy, Sony Made In Japan
       Eagles - Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975, CD DCC, Hotel California - CD DCC
       Pink Floyd - Meddle, CD OMR, DSOTM - CD OMR

9. If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system?
       Neutral
  10. What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice?
        DACs
  11. Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally?
        Never listened to them.
  12. Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why?
        Nope, but lately I've really like Neco Soundlab amps, inexpensive but sounds as good if not better than those costing much more.
  13. Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how?
        Nope, I was already into this before head-fi, like ribbon speakers, mono-block amps, ...
  14. If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound?
        About the same.
  15. List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers.
        Too many.
  16. Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard?
        Yup, a really well setup turntable like the top VPI/arm  with a Koetsu with a Convergent Audio Technology preamp would probably be hard to beat.
  17. What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own?
        Way back, Mark Levinsons on WATT/Puppies. But Mark Levinsons' all Cello system just blew me away. Not my own.
  18. Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well.
        iBasso, Sophia Electronics, Neco Soundlab, HiFiMan
  19. Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you.
        HiFlight, Jamato, Skylab, mrarroyo
  20. Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for?
        Music and youtube.
  21. Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future?
        Improve its search.

Dec 28, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #53 of 76
1) Mostly Alternative, Indie Rock, but also Electronic, Rap, Classical, Prog Rock. Pretty much anything that isn't Country or Top 40.
2) Mostly listen at home.
3) Usually listen after school when doing homework, usually in the afternoon.
4) I've only heard my own because I'm only in high school.
5) I prefer headphones, but haven't really experienced good speakers.
6) I prefer headphones for home use and IEMs for portable use.
7) Average volume level listener.
8) I can't really test gear, as the only local retailer that sells headphones is Best Buy aka, only Beats and Bose to test.
9) Neutral sound.
10) I'm still a novice. :wink:
11) I don't even know what electrostatic headphones are. :p
12) I don't have the money to be a fanboy.
13) My taste in sound quality hasn't really changed.
14) See number 11. (Don't know what that is...)
15) Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Interpol, Deerhunter, Beach House, Muse.
16) No vinyl experience.
17) See number 4.
18) Ummm....not really anyone;I only have two pairs of headphones.
19) Curly's AIAIAI TMA-1 review helped me decide to get those.
20) Music and gaming
21) A sticky'ed thread for new users to tell them not to consider Beats and why.

Dec 29, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #54 of 76
1.  Primarily: rock, folk, blues - anything pre 80s. 

2.  Half at my desk, and half on the go.

3.  Random

4.  HP2 on high-end rig (FallenAngel), and Stax Lamda Nova (on my relatively low-end rig)

5.  Yes

6.  No

7.  B, I have to lower the digital volume always in order to turn the amp's pot enough to get past channel imbalance (current amp has +3 gain). 

8.  I don't have a single track that can cover all qualities I want tested.

9.  Fun

10.  Going to a meet will save you MUCH time and money vs buying/selling...

11.  Yes, in general. I've heard several Lamdas, 02, and others I am not sure. Exceptions that I've heard would include AKG K1000 and HP2 (not superior in all aspects, just prefer in some).

12.  No.

13.  Yes.

14.  N/A

15.  N/A

16.  N/A

17.  N/A

18.  Head-Direct

19.  FallenAngel

20.  Videogames

21.  Better search engine and design layout! 

Dec 29, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #55 of 76

1. Matchcore is the greatest. But most everything else I will listen to.
2. In my room, at my desk.
3. Late night is best for me.
4. HD580 with HD650 drivers.
5. Haven't tried any high end speakers.
6. Headphones.
7. Moderately loud?
8. The Clash - London Calling and Guster - Lost and Gone Forever. Full albums.
9. Whatever seems most natural to my ears. Strong bass and highs. Haven't found this yet.
10. Subtle differences are well worth the money.
11. N/A
12. Not really. Maybe with Schiit. They are an incredible group.
13. My music selection has become more diverse. It is easier to appreciate music when you are immersed in it. 
14. I dunno.
15. In no order, The Number 12 Looks Like You, Daughters, Tony Bennett, Gnarls Barkley/Cee Lo Green, Miles Davis.
16. N/A But I want to try vinyl.
17. uDac. :frowning2:
18. Schiit is incredible. Jason especially. 
19. Uncle Erik is a great guy with lots of knowledge. But I have made a couple friends here, all great people.
20. Gaming!
21. No more advertisement. Current amount is fine, just no additional ads. And many more...

Dec 29, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #56 of 76

• What are your musical preferences? Indie, electronica, rock (in general)
  • Where do you listen to music mostly? Practically everywhere.  MBook in a fixed location, Cowon J3 on the go.
  • What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random? More so at night, though it's fairly random.
  • As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own? Too new to truly say what's the best I've heard, but MB->SRH840 is nice.
  • Do you prefer speakers over headphones? Depends on mood/location.
  • Do you prefer IEMs over headphones? Also depends on mood/location.
  • Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener
  • Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear. Demon Days (album) - Gorillaz
  • If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system? To me, neutral is fun!
  • What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice? A lot!  There's more to audio than "plug and play."  And $10 buds...
  • Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally? Nope.
  • Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why? If anything, Cowon.  The J3 is awesome.
  • Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how? Went from mp3->flac/lossless. Crap-phones->Awesome-phones. Buying my first DAC. Will be buying my first amp.
  • If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound? N/A
  • List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers A Perfect Circle, Arcade Fire, The Beatles, Gorillaz, Moby
  • Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard? I've heard vinyl, unfortunately, my turntable is utter crap.
  • What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own? J3 at  the moment.
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well. Amazon
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you. ClieOS's threads helped me a lot with my search for IEMs.
  • Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for? TV shows, movies, video games.
  • Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future? For some reason, search can be screwy sometimes.  And I use that religiously.

Dec 29, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #57 of 76
  • What are your musical preferences? metal and its sub genres take up 90% of my musical taste then 5% rock 2% techno electronic 2% classical 1% rap(only 1980s early 90s rap)
  • Where do you listen to music mostly? on my computer surfing the internet
  • What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random? all day when ever i get the chance i love music
  • As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own? my own the shure srh750dj headphones best 130$ i ever spend
  • Do you prefer speakers over headphones? sometimes but only when i want to show people my music.
  • Do you prefer IEMs over headphones?no headphones are way better for sound clarity
  • Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener. extremely loud listener
  • Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear. wintersun or opeth
  • If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system? fun is much better i love to have bass but also crave clarity
  • What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice? what an amp is and that i need to get one
  • Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally? i actually dont quite know if any of my headphones are electrostatic
  • Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why? i am a fanboy of shure as they make good products. i also like sony
  • Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how? yes i tend to like more bass then i used to.
  • If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound? tube
  • List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers. wintersun, ensiferum, slayer, sodom, opeth, and tool
  • Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard?yes i prefer vinyl over most other means of recordings
  • What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own?i havnt heard any yet i am still a noob at most things headphone related
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well. shure is definately a good company and futureshop helped me find the best headphones
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you. rpg has helped me alot and i really apreciate his/her help
  • Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for? watching movies
  • Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future? a live chat for talking about headphones and which headphones are best.

Dec 29, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #58 of 76

Quote:
1.  Primarily: rock, folk, blues - anything pre 80s. 

2.  Half at my desk, and half on the go.

3.  Random

4.  HP2 on high-end rig (FallenAngel), and Stax Lamda Nova (on my relatively low-end rig)

5.  Yes

6.  No

7.  B, I have to lower the digital volume always in order to turn the amp's pot enough to get past channel imbalance (current amp has +3 gain). 

8.  I don't have a single track that can cover all qualities I want tested.

9.  Fun

10.  Going to a meet will save you MUCH time and money vs buying/selling...

11.  Yes, in general. I've heard several Lamdas, 02, and others I am not sure. Exceptions that I've heard would include AKG K1000 and HP2 (not superior in all aspects, just prefer in some).

12.  No.

13.  Yes.

14.  N/A

15.  N/A

16.  N/A

17.  N/A

18.  Head-Direct

19.  FallenAngel

20.  Videogames

21.  Better search engine and design layout! 

I enlarged it since I didn't have microscopic vision

Dec 29, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #59 of 76
Totally useless when the original questions haven't been quoted in each answer IMO.

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #60 of 76
1. What are your musical preferences?

Mostly classical (large symphony orchestral, some chamber, pretty modern (from Mahler - Bruckner, Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Philip Glass, etc.), some progressive rock (Genesis, Sting, Peter Gabriel, Tony Banks, Steve Hackett, Mike Rutherford, etc.). A little jazz.

2. Where do you listen to music mostly?

In my home office or at work (headphones), in my family room (speakers)

3. What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random?

Early morning, late night, varies.

4. As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own?

As of now, my own. Seriously using headphones is pretty recent. I have always been more into speakers / stereo systems previously.

5. Do you prefer speakers over headphones?

Generally yes. I actually use my speaker system and others to gauge neutrality in headphones. That might seem backwards, but I like my speaker system a lot.

6. Do you prefer IEMs over headphones?

Generally no, but for travel, yes.

7. Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener

8. Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear.

Generally I use the 3rd and 4th movements of Shostakovich Sym. 7, CSO / Bernstein, since I know it very well (have played with some of the musicians on the recording), and used it as a reference recording in selecting my speaker system.

9. If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system?

I am looking for live sound, so "neutral".

10. What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice?

On this forum, you need to be really, really careful about whose advice you listen to.

11. Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally?

I have used an old set of electrostats in the past, and liked them. My speaker system uses ribbon drivers, so in theory I should like electrostatic phones a lot. I would like to try a good Stax setup.

12. Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why?

Not really. I have 4 headphones, all different brands currently.

13. Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how?

Not really. Still trying to replicate live concert sound.

14. If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound?

I should be neutral, but my choices give that away. My headphone amp is tube, my stereo preamp is tube and my stereo power amp is a tube hybrid.

15. List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers

Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Vienna Philharmonic, New York Philharmonic, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, San Francisco Symphony

16. Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard?

Yes, in the past, but not anymore, due to convenience.

17. What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own?

Wadia, not my own.

18. Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well.

Audiogon classifieds

19. Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you.

Pars, DSavitsk, Uncle Erik, Boomana

20. Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for?

Skype calls to my daughter in So. America via a Logitech headset.

21. Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future?

More opinions based on personal experience instead of what others say. Take the time to state biases and tastes up front, so others will know what your frame of reference is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back