A great tipfor you Stax SR202/303 and 404 owners
Apr 30, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #16 of 20
...I dunno much about the power supply particulars, but after this:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=42560

(unbelievably good difference for small change)

I certainly believe it is quite probable that a better PS will make the whole fuggin' amp better. Antness says it's way better, and I have no cause to doubt him, so I assume it will be better.

Regards,
Matt

May 4, 2009 at 9:23 AM Post #17 of 20
Matt,

I'm sure the better PS will make a big difference in the sound of the amp. When Denis finished mine he said that the bass and soundstage had both gotten a lot better with the mere change of the PS to include the choke filters. I guess that aspect of the design makes enough of a difference to affect the sound of the amp in a lot of ways, so with Kevin Gilmore's Blue Hawaiian PS you amp should ROCK man.

Make sure to post some thoughts on it once you get it. Or, at the least, PM me with what you think of it if you don't want to say anything publicly.

Mar 3, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Matt
one of the best features of these "new" 404's is that they are absolutely squeak-free! Stax has radically changed something...

I can confirm that.

Quote:

Originally posted by Matt
The whole body, tranducer housings, band, etc. all seem far more "integral" to one another than did the 303's. They have this solidity and firmness to their build which struck me, considering their plastic materials. For instance, you can flick one part and the other ones move in firm sympathy...however, when on your head, this translates to a strong reduction in transmitted vibrations.

- Sir Mister Matt

That plastic frame is the only complain I have against Stax. While other users have found the frame sturdy enough, the limbs of my set did break after 3 or 4 years -- perhaps that's because I have a fairly big head that has put the frame under quite a bit of tension...

Mar 6, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #20 of 20
FalconP,

Thanks for the confirmation on the new Stax cans. It's good to know that Stax has redesigned their cans to make up for these little things. Very responsive IMHO. Mine have been sqeak free for 24 hours now and show no sign of letting up. And if they do, it is an easy fix to plop another drop of oil into them. Maybe I'll try and find some graphite or something of a dry lubricant next time. Less risk of something getting into the drivers and frying them.

Also, thanks for the head's up on the broken frame. I guess with my big head I had better make sure to take it easy with them so as not to break them in the near future. I tried bending them some to fit with more comfort, but I guess I will stop before I break something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back