A GREAT review of the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5
Oct 30, 2008 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Windytech

New Head-Fier
Hey all - here is a good review of the Super.fi 5 from Ultimate Ears. I have Triple.fi 10vi, but was thinking about getting some of these for a family member this Christmas :)
L3000.gif

Super.fi 5 by Ultimate Ears - Headphones to Blow Your Ear Hair Back | Tech Loop: Roadtesting the latest gadgets, services and local startups throughout Chicago in Chicago

Oct 30, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Windytech /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey all - here is a good review of the Super.fi 5 from Ultimate Ears. I have Super.fi 10 Pros, but was thinking about getting some of these for a family member this Christmas :)
L3000.gif

Super.fi 5 by Ultimate Ears - Headphones to Blow Your Ear Hair Back | Tech Loop: Roadtesting the latest gadgets, services and local startups throughout Chicago in Chicago

yeh you have super fi 10 pro's eh, we believe ya
devil_face.gif
, especially as you got the name right
redface.gif

yeh the super fi 5 pro are great, i loved them, dunno bout super fi 5

Oct 30, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 10
Yeah Ultimate Ears was nice enough to send us pairs of the Loud Enough headphones, the Super.fi 5s and the (sorry for the incorrect name) Triple.fi 10s for review. The Triple.fi 10 review will be coming in short order :wink:

Oct 30, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #4 of 10
Hmm, your headline says it's a great review of the SF5s, with great in caps. And you wrote the review, posted on your new tech/gadget blog. Not sure, but is this about generating traffic to your new blog? Everyone can review phones here, of course, but just write and post them on Head-Fi. There is even an entire section for reviews on Head-Fi. Some reputable Head-Fiers review for other sites, too. But since you have only posted once, It seems a little odd that your first and only post redirects to another site. Just saying.

As for the SF5s. I tried them out, sent them back. Kinda flat and dull to me. While, as yo note, their mids/highs do overshadow bass, they turned boring real quick to my ears. Not saying they are bad phones, but not worth $150+ in my view.

As for UE not putting its name on less than quality phones, I did briefly audition a pair of the Super.Fi 4vi phones recently, and I found them severely lacking on the bottom end and not very good overall. Could have been the fit, but seemed weak to me.

Unless you have tried every UE model - and with their new lineup of entry level canal phones, that's a lot - I don't see how you can say they would not put their name on a pair of phones unless they were "quality" phones. That kind of broad statement dents your credibility as a reviewer.

Oct 30, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, your headline says it's a great review of the SF5s, with great in caps. And you wrote the review, posted on your new tech/gadget blog. Not sure, but is this about generating traffic to your new blog? Everyone can review phones here, of course, but just write and post them on Head-Fi. There is even an entire section for reviews on Head-Fi. Some reputable Head-Fiers review for other sites, too. But since you have only posted once, It seems a little odd that your first and only post redirects to another site. Just saying.

As for the SF5s. I tried them out, sent them back. Kinda flat and dull to me. While, as yo note, their mids/highs do overshadow bass, they turned boring real quick to my ears. Not saying they are bad phones, but not worth $150+ in my view.

As for UE not putting its name on less than quality phones, I did briefly audition a pair of the Super.Fi 4vi phones recently, and I found them severely lacking on the bottom end and not very good overall. Could have been the fit, but seemed weak to me.

Unless you have tried every UE model - and with their new lineup of entry level canal phones, that's a lot - I don't see how you can say they would not put their name on a pair of phones unless they were "quality" phones. That kind of broad statement dents your credibility as a reviewer.

im with you on that one. ultimate ears has a reputation and its a good one but are all thier earphones perfect or ''GREAT''...no.

Oct 30, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 10
You call that a review? Nevermind great...

I smell troll.

Oct 30, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #7 of 10
X2. Or just a well-meaning but confused wannabe gadget writer. Not sure. Didn't the OP say he was getting some TF10 Pros next? That's pretty generous of UE, unless he is sending them back after the review. Many reviewers get free stuff, but their credibility is based on at least sounding like they are being objective. Either way, there are plenty of SF5 reviews/opinions already posted here on Head-Fi, including a massive thread where I even posted how much I liked them during the first week, but my positive view didn't hold up. Oh, I paid for mine.

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #9 of 10
Not clear from the post. But using the word great in the headline sort of diminishes the credibility. Makes more sense for readers decide whether the review is great or not, no? Head-Fi isn't really a place to generate blog hits, whatever the case, since that was your initial post.

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 10
If by great you mean:

-short
-full of grammar errors and misspelled words
-has a horrible title
-sub-par for having the phones for three weeks
-NOT great (re: lame)

then yes I agree...
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back