A good wireless headphone for a deaf guy
Mar 7, 2018 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

luigino

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone !!!

It's my first post here and I'm a deaf guy from Italy and it looks like here it's very experienced forum :)
Anyway I have an hearing loss between 90dB and 120dB plus I wear ultra power 144dB SPL Max OutPut Phonak's HAs settled around 130dB-135dB...

Since I figured out listening TV for example, if I get closer to the TV I understand more than being distant like on the sofa and I tried to use an headphone over hearing aids but unfortunately it makes Larsen effect ....

So I was thinking to get a wireless powerful headphone to use without my HA's but, it looks like the most powerful output headphone in the market is around 126dB SPL max I think...

Is there a way to add +10-20dB to headphones so they can like "substitute" my hearing aids and listen without wearing my hearing aids? Or alternatively is there a good wireless headphone with LARGER earcups like for really big ears just to cover ear+HA's without touching HA's?...

Thanks to you all!
Cheers
Luigi

Mar 7, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 3
Might be hard to find wireless headphones that will do those volumes. If your wireless use case is in home, maybe it would make more sense to look into a streaming device that you can plug into an amp or dac/amp. Then get some efficient headphones that won't distort (planar magnetics?) and a powerful enough amp to drive them to what for most people would be dangerous volumes.

That would probably get expensive, though.

Mar 8, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #3 of 3
hello kukkurovaca ,

I wear ultrapower hearing aids since when I was 7yo and still I am OK with my ears... so I was just looking about a "substitution" of them because actually I can't afford EUR 5500,00 (around USD $6.800,00) for new hearing aids which have wireless support to TV/PC...

So you mean I should just put an amp/dac between headphones and the source to add more decibels output?.... if yes for example what would you suggest me for a good couple wired headphone + amp/dac to reach at least 132dB for a good price like, saying in USD, around $ 1000,00-1500,00 ?

Thanks to you all
Cheers
Luigi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back