A good sound upgrade
Jun 24, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #2 of 29
-I use a laptop.
-With flac files
-dragonfly red usb dac.
- Also a violectric amp.
- Music is played with windows media player.
What could be a good sound quality upgrade?
Thx

What transducer (headphone/earbuds/IEM) are u using? I generally find more benefit in upgrading the transducer rather than downstream components (in terms of diminishing returns), but YMMV.

U can try downloading MusicBee, it is a super good music player for windows that has lots of EQ and customizing options. I like it more than the default windows media player.

Also u may possibly get better sound from upgrading the DAC -> u can see some measurements by Audioscience Reviews (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ad-distortion-comparison-graph-for-dacs.4814/). Dragonfly red measures in the red segment here (not too good). I use a Khadas Tone Board and it is in the blue (best measurements) segment, and is about $90 USD. Though of course measurements may not translate to whether we can hear it in real life, so YMMV.

11255481.png

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 29
Correct me if I’m wrong Your Khadas is a sounds card dac. That could not be installed in my laptop

Khadas Tone Board is an external DAC, it doesn't come with a case but some shops do sell one for about $10 more. Even without a case it doesn't pick up any electromagnetic interference. It is just plug and connect via USB to the Khadas tone board, no need drivers. And from the Khadas u use a dual RCA to 3.5 mm to go to an external amp.

It is more for a desktop setup and not portable, but there's many other portable and smaller dongle USB DACs that are small profile too that u can get that are sonically better than the Dragonfly Red based on the above measurements.

Jun 25, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #8 of 29
800/800S bass is not weak. It is just not boosted unnaturally the way a lot of people seem to want. A more all-round pair of cans would be the fast path upgrade since you already have a good amp. Even a pair of 600s will sound hugely better for most kinds of music. It will squeeze your skull though.

If you play tidal hifi a good MQA DAC would be anothe valuable upgrade.

Jun 25, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #9 of 29
800/800S bass is not weak. It is just not boosted unnaturally the way a lot of people seem to want. A more all-round pair of cans would be the fast path upgrade since you already have a good amp. Even a pair of 600s will sound hugely better for most kinds of music. It will squeeze your skull though.

If you play tidal hifi a good MQA DAC would be anothe valuable upgrade.
Thx the dragonfly red does mqa. Would luv to try a different mqa dac. Many say DACs are over rated

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #10 of 29
Thx the dragonfly red does mqa. Would luv to try a different mqa dac. Many say DACs are over rated

I don't know but what I read is that the dragonfly DACs do not do a complete MQA unfold.

DACs are overrated? That's hard to believe. Without a DAC there is no way to listen to digital music.

Jun 25, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #12 of 29
Some suggest that purchasing a more expensive dac. Is way over rated and a waist.

That group consists only of people who didn't actually do it.

Jun 25, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #14 of 29
Perfect. Which MQA dac upgrade to you suggest.

I have the Brooklyn DAC+ and I can recommend it. I am not aware of a less expensive DAC that does a complete MQA unfold and also doesn't occasionally lock up and fail to decode MQA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back