A good setup?
Jul 27, 2002 at 5:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Your-Fired

New Head-Fier
Sorry for being such a newb. And asking such a cheesy question.
rolleyes.gif
But needs must....

I am thinking about upgrading from a pair of sony v6 headphones to a pair of Beyer 770 Pros. Is this a worthwhile upgrade? I need something that retains most of the v6 charachteristics but is at least a little more musical.

If they are a good choice then I need a little advice on a few things:

1. I'll be listening to music mainly through my cdrom and from my hardrive. So I'd like to ask what is the best soundcard, DAC, AMP combo to use to give me the best sound from the beyers. And do I need a DAC? I know a couple of amps were discussed in the recent thread about the beyer 770 pros but not in this context. I hope I'm not being too redundent.
tongue.gif
I was wondering if my situation would make things a bit different.

2. Not including the headphones I'd like to keep things around the $300 usd mark.

3. If it matters...The kind of music I listen to are all types of rock and roll. From lite rock to the hardest fastest death metal I can find to even rockrap.

5. Thanks in advance.

Jul 27, 2002 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 6
bump
i'd also like to know where you could get those 3 items for ~$300

i know the santa cruz is about $60, the art d/io about $160.
so that leaves ~$80 for an amp :/

i'm sure there's cheaper DACs out there though

Jul 28, 2002 at 4:29 AM Post #4 of 6
Wouldn't santacruz + decked out meta42 (no dac) be better sounding then what eric343 suggested? I have no experience with dacs though..

Biggie.

Jul 28, 2002 at 5:48 AM Post #5 of 6
No, because by putting the DAC outside the computer, you:
a) Get a better DAC
b) Get the analog bits out of the seething mass of interference known as a computer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back